James Nipper

Default Cleaning Soot from Fireplace?

I have a stone fireplace. What is the best product and method of cleaning
soot off the front face of the fireplace? This is a natural stone
fireplace. I don't want to change the natural color of the stone, just
remove the soot !!

Thanks for any ideas.......

--James--

Philip Lewis

"James Nipper" writes:
What is the best product and method of cleaning soot off the front
face of the fireplace? This is a natural stone fireplace.

If i were really concerned, I would try the following in order with a
scrubbrush:
Water
Water + few drops of (sink) dishwashing liquid
full strength sink dishwashing liquid
Clothes Washing detergent
solution of TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate)
Wire brush
Wire wheel on drill
chisle/hammer
explosives

I'm not a professional cleaner, nor do i play one on TV.

--
be safe.
flip

SQLit

"James Nipper" wrote in message

I have a stone fireplace. What is the best product and method of

cleaning
soot off the front face of the fireplace? This is a natural stone
fireplace. I don't want to change the natural color of the stone, just
remove the soot !!

Thanks for any ideas.......

--James--

I had these when I had a fireplace.

http://www.redhotcarpetcleaning.com/en-us/dept_7.html

They are dry so there is less of a chance of screwing it up. I had a slump
block face and a gas fireplace. Used one of these sponges on the block once
a week during the fire season.

The sponge scarifies it self so buy a few. They do not last for ever.

JerryMouse

James Nipper wrote:
I have a stone fireplace. What is the best product and method of
cleaning soot off the front face of the fireplace? This is a natural
stone fireplace. I don't want to change the natural color of the
stone, just remove the soot !!

Soot is carbon.

Carbon is soluble (ever so slightly) in only one substance: molten iron.

This means, in your case, that soot removal must be mechanical; there is no
chemical process available.

Sue

In article , James Nipper
wrote:

I have a stone fireplace. What is the best product and method of cleaning
soot off the front face of the fireplace? This is a natural stone
fireplace. I don't want to change the natural color of the stone, just
remove the soot !!

Thanks for any ideas.......

I had really good results cleaning my brick fireplace with dishwashing
liquid mixed with salt. mix it up to a creamy consistency, scrub it in
with a brush let sit a few minutes, scrub again. wash off. 50 years of
grime vanished. (you might want to test a small area first)
Sue
James Nipper

Thanks to everyone for these helpful hints !

--James--