Krystonia5

Default termite question

I recently had a minor termite attack on my front porch, and the termite guy
came out and said all I needed was to repair the damage and have the front
porch area treated. He injected poison under the porch. It seemed to have an
effect because a few days later, earth worms started crawling out of the crack
between the porch and foundation.

I plan to seal the crack with some silicone sealant, I assume this will help
prevent termites crawling up through this crack again???

that was a few months ago. Recently I was working on a couple of wooden
vegatable garden boxes (about 6' x 10' in size, 1.5' tall), and I found some
termites living in the wood. I used some over-the-counter termite poison to
treat the areas where I saw termites, they seemed to die quickly when contacted
by the poison, but I assume there are still more living under the ground there.
I also have a few fence posts that are rotted under the ground, maybe sign of
more termites.

My question is, should I be concerned that my property is infested with
termites and have the whole perimeter of the house and fence treated? Or is
it normal for old wood sitting around like these vegetable garden boxes to have
occasional termites? The pest guy said that other than my front porch, the
house is well designed and termites are unlikely to find their way into the
house, especially if i keep an eye for termite evidence and have him come out
every couple of years to take a look.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Paul
Lar

In article ,
says...
My question is, should I be concerned that my property is infested with
termites and have the whole perimeter of the house and fence treated? Or is
it normal for old wood sitting around like these vegetable garden boxes to have
occasional termites? The pest guy said that other than my front porch, the
house is well designed and termites are unlikely to find their way into the
house, especially if i keep an eye for termite evidence and have him come out
every couple of years to take a look.

The termite colony will be a number of feet under ground coming up to feed
on your porch. The same colony will have many feeding tubes all over the
property so the same colony on your house can be in your fence, feeding on
the wood left on the ground, the neighbors house 100 feet away. Also the
thought now is the average acre of land will have 7-14 established termite
colonies, so all those areas you have found termites might also be several
different colonies. The one downfall with only treating your porch will be
they can show up elsewhere on the house, or maybe there already in an part of
the structure you can't see. The treatment stops the point of entry, but they
can just bypass the area treated. (depending on what was used for treating)So
just keep an eye out for anything unusual showing up.

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Krystonia5

and if the original problem was caused by the termites crawling up through the
crack between my porch concrete and the foundation, will it help to seal the
crack with silicone sealant? Should I seal all the cracks around the house
between the sidewalk and foundation?

thanks,
Paul
RB

I don't believe that there is a "minor" termite attack. It's sort of
like being a little bit pregnant. You have them or you don't. Treating
the area around a porch will just cause them them to move a bit and
direct their attention elsewhere. It's easier to treat the entire
property before significant damage has been done than to wait until
they've become entrenched. Too bad the "govies" don't like chlordane
anymore. It worked very well back when the Dept. of Agriculture
recommended using it against termites. It was a 20 year fix.

Get your local termite exterminator in with today's wimpy insecticides.
It's better than nothing.

RB

Krystonia5 wrote:
[...]

BeamGuy

The modern "baiting" types of insect control work real well too. Termador is one
brand name. They have the same active ingredient at a lessor concentration than
the one you put on your dog to control fleas.