DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Preventing Mildew When No Electric Power (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/55655-preventing-mildew-when-no-electric-power.html)

Steven Litvintchouk March 12th 04 08:07 PM

Preventing Mildew When No Electric Power

The electric company where I live has informed me that they are going to
be shutting off the electricity for most of this coming Tuesday.

That means we'll be showering and bathing in total darkness with the
bathroom exhaust fan not running due to no electric power.

I'm worried that this humidity and darkness is a setup for mildew to
start growing in the bathroom. (This actually happened to me once
before when we had a big power outage a couple of years ago.)

Anything I can do to help prevent that from happening until the power
comes back on?

-- Steven L.

Joseph Meehan March 12th 04 08:21 PM

Steven Litvintchouk wrote:
The electric company where I live has informed me that they are going
to be shutting off the electricity for most of this coming Tuesday.

That means we'll be showering and bathing in total darkness with the
bathroom exhaust fan not running due to no electric power.

I'm worried that this humidity and darkness is a setup for mildew to
start growing in the bathroom. (This actually happened to me once
before when we had a big power outage a couple of years ago.)

Anything I can do to help prevent that from happening until the power
comes back on?

-- Steven L.

You got to be really on the edge to start with to have a mold problem
due to less than 24 hours without power. Just leave the bathroom door open,
clean up after showers (you can't put off showers until the next day?) with
a towel. Clean the bath well before and after.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joe Bobst March 12th 04 09:28 PM

Preventing Mildew When No Electric Power

I'm worried that this humidity and darkness is a setup for mildew to start
growing in the bathroom.
Anything I can do to help prevent that from happening until the power comes
back on?

Leave the bathroom door open and do one or more of the following:
1) Check in to a cheap motel and use their shower.
2) Use lots of "Right Guard" and don't get too close to people.
3) Just go about your business and don't worry about it.
4)Tell everyone it's casual day and that means no showers.
HTH

Joe

m Ransley March 12th 04 11:15 PM

Preventing Mildew When No Electric Power

You worry to much , but use bleach in a spray bottle to kill any future
mold Mold is everywhere and bleach will kill it

PJx March 14th 04 11:18 AM

Preventing Mildew When No Electric Power

You can rent a generator and hook it up to lights and fans.
Pj