DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Howto Extend a portable dishwasher water snap-lock water supply line (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/55477-howto-extend-portable-dishwasher-water-snap-lock-water-supply-line.html)

Jim Helfer March 7th 04 05:38 PM

Howto Extend a portable dishwasher water snap-lock water supply line

I have a portable dishwasher, but the water supply line that sanp-locks
onto the faucet is not long enough to use the dishwasher where I want it.

A lady in an orange smock sold me a brass M-M coupler, but when I
tried to use it to connect an extension (actually a 4 foot length of
washer supply hose - seems to be the same thing), there was quite a bit
of leakage.

Since I used rubber gaskets and tightened the connection down quite a
bit, I am guessing that the coupler solution is only for garden hoses,
and not for higher pressure applications.

I know that I can probably easily cut the hose and making it longer
with splicers and hose clamps, but I thought I'd ask for advice before
doing anything non-reversible.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim H
Pittsburgh PA

I-zheet M'drurz March 7th 04 06:11 PM

Jim Helfer wrote:

... I know that I can probably easily cut the hose and making it
longer with splicers and hose clamps, but I thought I'd ask for
advice before doing anything non-reversible.

Just a word of caution from somebody that had one for several
years: you might not be able to do that. The hose also acts as
an outlet for the waste water, and there's a pump in there that
might not be able to push that far.

Oh yeah, added (cough)feature from mine, hopefully yours won't
do the same thing: All of that pressure that they create in that
water hose played pure *hell* with the cartridge in my faucet.
I think I replaced it about every year because it started to
drip, and the cold side never want bad once in that whole time.

--
No more big'uns for me, now I'm a 'Venture Capitalist'.
I've learned to totally appreciate 'Small Firms'.

Jim Helfer March 7th 04 06:20 PM

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

Jim Helfer wrote:

... I know that I can probably easily cut the hose and making it
longer with splicers and hose clamps, but I thought I'd ask for
advice before doing anything non-reversible.

Just a word of caution from somebody that had one for several
years: you might not be able to do that. The hose also acts as
an outlet for the waste water, and there's a pump in there that
might not be able to push that far.

Oh yeah, added (cough)feature from mine, hopefully yours won't
do the same thing: All of that pressure that they create in that
water hose played pure *hell* with the cartridge in my faucet.
I think I replaced it about every year because it started to
drip, and the cold side never want bad once in that whole time.

Well thanks, but, I won't have that problem, as the water drainage is
a completely separate (and very easily extendable hose).

Jim H
Pittsburgh PA

George E. Cawthon March 8th 04 03:30 AM

Jim Helfer wrote:

I have a portable dishwasher, but the water supply line that sanp-locks
onto the faucet is not long enough to use the dishwasher where I want it.

A lady in an orange smock sold me a brass M-M coupler, but when I
tried to use it to connect an extension (actually a 4 foot length of
washer supply hose - seems to be the same thing), there was quite a bit
of leakage.

Since I used rubber gaskets and tightened the connection down quite a
bit, I am guessing that the coupler solution is only for garden hoses,
and not for higher pressure applications.

I know that I can probably easily cut the hose and making it longer
with splicers and hose clamps, but I thought I'd ask for advice before
doing anything non-reversible.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim H
Pittsburgh PA

Whoa! The pressure inside is the same as the faucet for garden hoses
outsize. So anything that works outside will work inside. You
probably just had a bad connector. If you want to preserve your
original snap lock on the faucet, just cut the hose and insert a
longer piece of hose. Use the metal ribbed pieces as connectors and
tighten with hose steel hose clamps.

jeff March 8th 04 04:12 AM

Jim Helfer wrote in message ...
I have a portable dishwasher, but the water supply line that sanp-locks
onto the faucet is not long enough to use the dishwasher where I want it.

A lady in an orange smock sold me a brass M-M coupler, but when I
tried to use it to connect an extension (actually a 4 foot length of
washer supply hose - seems to be the same thing), there was quite a bit
of leakage.

Since I used rubber gaskets and tightened the connection down quite a
bit, I am guessing that the coupler solution is only for garden hoses,
and not for higher pressure applications.

I know that I can probably easily cut the hose and making it longer
with splicers and hose clamps, but I thought I'd ask for advice before
doing anything non-reversible.

Hi,

A lady in an orange smock sold me a brass M-M coupler.

Maybe take the hose and connections to local appliance repair shop or
parts depot for some advice/tips.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jim Helfer March 9th 04 03:10 AM

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Jim Helfer wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah. That would be right. Just feelung a bit aprehensive about
making any permanent changes.