Old March 8th 04, 09:27 PM
JM

Default glue for hard plastic parts

quoting:
tenplay wrote:
A piece came off of the hard plastic carpet attachment for our vacuum
cleaner. Since I cannot find the replacement part near where I live,
I want to try gluing the piece back on. Which glue do you recommend
for the job? Thanks.

There are exactly 451,547,627 kinds of plastics. Each requires a
special glue and 37.85% of them can't be glued at all.

That said, I suggest trying the Super Glue type stuff. It seems to work
well with many plastics. Make sure you get the high strength stuff, not the
stuff now sold in the drug store as it has been intentionally weakened.
Some hobby shops should have the real stuff.

BTW someone may come along with another suggestion based on experience
with that type of part/plastic. If they do, you may want to consider their
suggestion first.

I once fixed broken headphones with a solderng iron. Super glue wouldn't
work on this plastic, so melting it back together did the trick. Looks kinda
funny though.

Old March 9th 04, 10:39 PM
Stormin Mormon

However, 126,483,296 of those plastics only are found in laboratories.

It is an excellent point, though......

My default adhesive has been two part epoxy, which is sold under the brand
name J.B. Weld.

Not to be confused with J.B. Books which sticks, but is generally useless.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
tenplay wrote:
A piece came off of the hard plastic carpet attachment for our vacuum
cleaner. Since I cannot find the replacement part near where I live,
I want to try gluing the piece back on. Which glue do you recommend
for the job? Thanks.

There are exactly 451,547,627 kinds of plastics. Each requires a
special glue and 37.85% of them can't be glued at all.

That said, I suggest trying the Super Glue type stuff. It seems to work
well with many plastics. Make sure you get the high strength stuff, not the
stuff now sold in the drug store as it has been intentionally weakened.
Some hobby shops should have the real stuff.

BTW someone may come along with another suggestion based on experience
with that type of part/plastic. If they do, you may want to consider their
suggestion first.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old March 9th 04, 10:41 PM
Stormin Mormon

Good thought. I've found business card, and toothpick work well.

I was also thinking model airplane cement, but epoxy more likely to hold up.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jim" wrote in message ...
tenplay wrote:
go for the two part epoxy(not the super glue stuff) the two part stuff
comes in two small tubes.. you squeeze out a bead of it on a Paper plate
if you have them, then a bead next to it of the hardner.. i use Q-tips
to drag one bead to the other and then mix them together..... do this
quick and then apply to broken plastic piece and put some extra around
the outside of the crack... then get someone to put some scotch tape on
the part thats broken off to hold it in place and lay it down gently and
leave it there until the next day... it should be stronger than it was
before the break.... the one tube of super glue stuff will probably work
faster and hold it for a while but will fall apart in no time.....
hope this helps...

202GF, A miracle glue?! toller Woodworking 55 July 7th 04 03:19 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
If glue is stronger than the wood, do you need to use screws when attaching legs to a table? YJJim Woodworking 3 December 18th 03 04:29 PM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 06:39 AM