DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Moving a toilet one foot? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/55092-moving-toilet-one-foot.html)

dgk February 25th 04 01:30 PM

Moving a toilet one foot?

I'm thinking about a bathroom renovation. The house is an attached
house, 18 feet wide. The toilet is on the second floor above the
kitchen.

My proposed renovation would really work out better if I could move
the toilet maybe a foot or so. I am planning on hiring someone
competent for this rather than attempting it myself, but I was
wondering if this is a really big job. I searched and found a few
posts mentioning moving a toilet two inches or so but a foot would
appear to be at the outer limit.

Speedy Jim February 25th 04 01:54 PM

Moving a toilet one foot?

dgk wrote:

I'm thinking about a bathroom renovation. The house is an attached
house, 18 feet wide. The toilet is on the second floor above the
kitchen.

My proposed renovation would really work out better if I could move
the toilet maybe a foot or so. I am planning on hiring someone
competent for this rather than attempting it myself, but I was
wondering if this is a really big job. I searched and found a few
posts mentioning moving a toilet two inches or so but a foot would
appear to be at the outer limit.

Do the headers imply that you are within the 5 boroughs of NY?
If so, I assume an inspection and permit will be made.
In general, the toilet can be up to 3 feet from the stack,
but NYC may have their own restrictions.

It can be a big job, especially since the pipe is likely cast iron
out there. Make some sketches of what you'd like to do and
get a few estimates.

Jim

dgk February 26th 04 01:30 PM

Moving a toilet one foot?

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:54:53 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

Yes, in Queens. Cast iron. I have limited experience with that but
that doesn't seem to be stuff that will bend easily. Time to cast
about for a skilled plumber.

KJFK February 26th 04 01:34 PM

Moving a toilet one foot?

dgk

Time to cast
about for a skilled plumber

Just to give you an idea I live in North NJ and paid $350 to move my toilet 3
inches (it was too close to the sidewall). All copper job.

dgk February 26th 04 06:53 PM

Moving a toilet one foot?

On 26 Feb 2004 13:34:53 GMT,
dgk

Time to cast
about for a skilled plumber

Just to give you an idea I live in North NJ and paid $350 to move my toilet 3
inches (it was too close to the sidewall). All copper job.

This will be part of a bathroom renovation so I'll just at $400 or so.
Oh boy.