Arthur Davis

Default Tree stump removal with rock salt?

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

jim

Arthur Davis wrote:

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

its not the amount of salt that would matter with a 8 ft. diameter
stump, but how many years it would take to get it to rot.. try adding
some termites to the wood and see if that gets rid of it.... probably
alot faster than rock salt....

Joseph Meehan

Arthur Davis wrote:
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump
after scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump.
Does this work and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter
stump?
TIA, Art.

I don't think the salt will help any. It might help kill the tree if it
is not already dead.

I would suggest two options. First get someone with a grinder out there
and do the job in minutes (or rent one and do the job in a few more
minutes). Second let it rot in place. Drilling a few holes in it helps as
will covering it with general yard compost (leaves, grass clippings ect.)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

John Hines

"Arthur Davis" wrote:

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?

You'll do better with saltpeter, aka potassium nitrate. This is what is
sold as "stump remover".

The nitrates will speed the decay process faster than sodium cloride
(salt).

stevef

I heard once about some kind of a mixture of molasses and some other stuff
put over the stump would create a bacteria that would eat the stump. I
heard this on some radio show.

However, I do not know the specifics and I haven't been able to find the
exact formula.
"Arthur Davis" wrote in message
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

---

Tony Kimmell

"Arthur Davis" wrote in message ...
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

It would take a LONG time for salt to make a stump that big rot away.

Drill several 1" holes in the top of the stump. drill them down as
deep as your drill bit allows. Then fill all the holes with kerosene
or diesel fuel and let it soak in. Every day keep adding more as it
soaks in. After a week or two, light it up. The stump will smolder
for a day or two, and eventually it will burn all away.

Tony
Phisherman

wrote:

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

I use 34-0-0 fertilizer. Drill several deep holes into the stump and
keep the holes filled with nitrogen fertilizer.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message ...
Arthur Davis wrote:
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump
after scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump.
Does this work and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter
stump?
TIA, Art.

I don't think the salt will help any. It might help kill the tree if it
is not already dead.

I would suggest two options. First get someone with a grinder out there
and do the job in minutes (or rent one and do the job in a few more
minutes). Second let it rot in place. Drilling a few holes in it helps as
will covering it with general yard compost (leaves, grass clippings ect.)

I simply drilled some holes in my stump and then pured gas into the
holes and lit it. I burned for hours and when finished it was very
weak and choppable? (word) It smell good after it burns for an hour
or so.

Dave Gower

"Arthur Davis" wrote in message
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this

work

Like the others I agree that salt is not effective. If you are allowed to
burn where you are, you can put up a heavy gauge mesh fence around it and
use it as a firepit to get rid of yard waste, or to have a nice bonfire. Do
that a few times and it will disappear rapidly.

Rileyesi

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?

I don't think the salt is to remove the stump as much as it is to kill the
plant so the tree does not re-grow.

Rileyesi

I simply drilled some holes in my stump and then pured gas into the
holes and lit it. I burned for hours and when finished it was very
weak and choppable? (word) It smell good after it burns for an hour
or so.

Most cities have ordanances against this, however, if he is out "in the sticks"
and can do it, I would suggest something more slow burning that gas like
kerosene or better yet, toss a bag of charcoal on the stump and light it. As
the coal is consumed, plop another bag on top.

If it is not a problem, I like the compost ideas that have beed suggested the
best. Since Mother Nature put the stump there, let HER get rid of it!

George E. Cawthon

Your friend gave you very bad advice, rock salt would in fact slow
down natural deterioration. What you want is for the wood to
deteriorate quickly and you use Ammonium nitrate. Drill lots of 1
inch diameter hole 6 or more inches deep (1 every square foot of
surface), and fill them with the ammonium nitrate, then wait several
years for it to rot away. Or wait one year and burn the stump, but
that's probably not an option in your community.

Arthur Davis wrote:

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

Tom Horne

Arthur Davis wrote:
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

Just rent a stump grinder and be done with it.
--
Tom H

Arthur Davis wrote:

[...]

http://sptimes.com/2004/02/23/Northp...saves_ma.shtml

The link is to an article on how NOT to take out stumps ) It's a
whole lot cheaper to hire someone to drill the stump than it is to stay
in the burn unit for a couple of months. I used to have a neighbor who
used gasoline to start her charcoal grill. She would pour it on, close
the cover for a few, and then light it. Said it always went "woof".
S'pose she didn't know that gasoline fumes are heavier than air and the
"woof" could light her, too. Damn stupid.

Hubby and I used denatured alcohol to try to burn out a palm stump.
They won't cut or chop because they are like a ball of string, and they
hold water for months even without rain. Alcohol worked nicely because
it mixed with water. Only problem came with pouring more on when I
thought the flame had gone out. The can became a torch, but luckily
didn't explode, and we had a fire extinguisher nearby.

I'd be inclined to drill some holes into it and pack in some nitrogen
fertilizer to help it break down faster. Then try the axe in a few months.

I had another neighbor whose daughter played with my daughter. Little
girls one day found some tar that had dropped from the roof. Got it all
over their hands. Neighbor used gasoline to clean their hands, and my
daughter came in the house for supper. I was at the stove, cooking
dinner, when she came in. She was talking to me next to the stove when
I smelled the gasoline. Grabbed her and took her outside. Don't know
how close we came to lighting up from the gas burner on the stove. It
brought to mind an article I had read in Reader's Digest about the worst
burns that any person had survived. Gasoline to clean skin. Fumes from
water heater. Nine year old kid.

Don't forget yer safety glasses if you drill the stump )

p4o2

Tom Horne wrote in message hlink.net...
Arthur Davis wrote:
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

Just rent a stump grinder and be done with it.

Chop it out. A good thing to pass the time for a few weeks and good
for your mind and body.

Explosives: Tree stump removal Crafty Home Repair 73 May 5th 06 05:40 PM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM
stump removal; 3 feet too high? Doug Mitchell Home Repair 14 August 19th 03 03:23 AM