DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Not really Home repair: Repairing cracked horn (antler) handles (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/54837-not-really-home-repair-repairing-cracked-horn-antler-handles.html)

Bob Landry February 19th 04 12:14 AM

Not really Home repair: Repairing cracked horn (antler) handles

I have a really old carving set that's come down from my grandfather
to me. The handles have narrow, longitudinal cracks. Can these be
repaired and, if so, how?
I'm worried that using glue and clamping will damage the horn. Any and
all ideas appreciated.

Bob

m Ransley February 19th 04 12:54 AM

Not really Home repair: Repairing cracked horn (antler) handles

If its old - antique and you mean wood carved, than any unnecessary or
unprofessional repair will reduce their value. Check their value first,
go to an antique shop.
Longitudonal cracks dont mean reduced strength or mean repairs are
necessary or desired. After all , its probably an antique , age is
what sells and is desireable.

just me February 19th 04 03:24 AM

"Bob Landry" wrote in message
I have a really old carving set that's come down from my grandfather
to me. The handles have narrow, longitudinal cracks. Can these be
repaired and, if so, how?
I'm worried that using glue and clamping will damage the horn. Any and
all ideas appreciated.

Bob

Have them checked out, if in fact they are antiques you should probably put
them away and protect them. A new set probably will work better and the
cracks don't get any worse on the antiques.