blue

Default "antique nickel" screws?

We bought some Stanley hinges as replacements for the solid wood doors
in our home. The hinges are in the colour "antique nickel". The supplied
screws are tiny and definately will not fit into the place of the old
screws which were #8 - #10, 1.5" - 3" (love how the previous owners were
consistent! :-).

Anyhow, are there screws available in this "antique nickel" in much
larger sizes? I've done some Googling and have come up with screws in
alternative colours such as "antique brass" (which doesn't match) but
have only found them in lengths up to 1". Our local Home Depot, Rona,
etc. didn't have anything.

If anyone knows of a place (online or otherwise, but perferably Canadian
or at least ships to Canada) that might offer this colour of screw in
the lengths I need, that would be great. Else we'll stick with plain old
silver since I am sure no one will notice they don't match but me. :-)

--
Remove YOUR CLOTHES to email me.
Mzone719

if you only problem is the new screws not filling the holes left by the
previous screws, just fill the holes with some wood glue and dowels or
toothpicks. if you just want longer screws for strength, then happy hunting
for antique nickel. Instead of using regular zinc plated screws, maybe cosider
stainless steel, a lot more expensive but maybe a little closer in look.

good luck
John W

I agree, fill the existing holes with toothpicks and wood glue (the white or
yellow stuff) and use the supplied screws into the newly-filled holes.
Toothpicks are made from hardwood and will hold better in most cases than
the original wood. Coat each toothpick in glue and use one to put more glue
in the hole. If you use the tapered variety, alternate large and small ends
forcing as many in the holes as possible and break them off flush.

If you feel the supplied screws are not large enough to provide the needed
support, there's a good chance the hinges aren't either.

John

"blue" wrote in message
[...]

TOM KAN PA

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

blue

John W wrote:

I agree, fill the existing holes with toothpicks and wood glue (the white or
yellow stuff) and use the supplied screws into the newly-filled holes.
Toothpicks are made from hardwood and will hold better in most cases than
the original wood. Coat each toothpick in glue and use one to put more glue
in the hole. If you use the tapered variety, alternate large and small ends
forcing as many in the holes as possible and break them off flush.

Toothpicks will hold better than the original wood? I had no idea. We
were very worried about the supplied screws, they are simply #6, 3/4" or
something like that. Seems pretty small for a solid wood door (original
doors from the house built in 1950). I thought that these screws were
for the new hollow doors which are much lighter.

If you feel the supplied screws are not large enough to provide the needed
support, there's a good chance the hinges aren't either.

You guys really think toothpicks, glue and the puny screws will hold? I
wasn't too worried about the hinges as our replacements are by the same
company, same size, etc. as the originals which have held up the doors
since 1950 (or maybe the previous owner simply kept adding bigger screws
as the doors started to fall off :-)

John

"blue" wrote in message

[...]

John W

I've never seen hollow cupboard doors - in fact, the new "cheap" doors are
often made from MDF which is actually heavier than solid wood and does not
hold a screw as well.

Assuming these hinges are intended for use on cupboard doors and unless you
have a wife or kids that like to hang on the doors, the supplied screws
should be fine (and the toothpick & glue fix is a fairly SOP).

As a worst case, if you did have problems at some point in the future, you
can still switch to a larger screw.

John

"blue" wrote in message

[...]

PhotoMan

"John W" wrote in message
I've never seen hollow cupboard doors - in fact, the new "cheap" doors are
often made from MDF which is actually heavier than solid wood and does not
hold a screw as well.

Assuming these hinges are intended for use on cupboard doors......

Cupboard doors? Has my news server failed again to download messages?

John W

Reading between the lines again?

If blue is talking about interior doors (and not cupboard doors), it would
seem odd that hinges intended for that purpose would come with 3/4" long
screws. Screws of that length (and the hinges they come with) are generally
intended for cupboard doors since they need to be short enough to not go
through the door...

Or, perhaps he got the wrong hinges?

John W

"PhotoMan" wrote in message

"John W" wrote in message
I've never seen hollow cupboard doors - in fact, the new "cheap" doors

are
often made from MDF which is actually heavier than solid wood and does

not
hold a screw as well.

Assuming these hinges are intended for use on cupboard doors......

Cupboard doors? Has my news server failed again to download messages?

blue

I was indeed talking about interior doors, and those I am pretty sure
often come hollow now a days. Oh, and I do have kids and a spouse who
will surely hang on the bathroom door, bedroom door, etc. :-)

I am sure I bought the right hinges, 3.5" Stanley steel door hinges. The
size matches with the previous hinges on the doors. I believe I was
wrong about the screw size that came with them though, it looks like
they are #8, 3/4". Still pretty short for holding up a solid wood
bedroom door I thought, especially if the previous hole held larger and
longer screws. But heck if the glue and toothpicks will work I'm game to
try, just don't want to put in all that effort if the doors are
eventually going to fall off the frames. :-)

[...]

John W

Ok - starting to make more sense now (except as to why the supplied screws
are so short?).

As I said previously though, worst case scenerio is you may need to replace
a few screws at some point in the future. Filling the old holes with
toothpicks and glue is a good idea even if you you go with larger screws
since it is quite likely
even the larger screws wouldn't work in some of the holes.

Since these are just door hinges though, they are generally less-visable
than cupboard hinges so a mis-match would not be as noticeble so you could
go with plain-old zinc plated screws. You'd need #8 bugle-headed (I assume)
so that the heads fit in the hinges properly. If you wanted, you could
replace just 2 screws per hinge with longer ones (one on the frame side and
one on the door side).

John W

"blue" wrote in message

[...]

:-)

Kai Seymour

blue wrote:

[...]

Had a similar issue with a new exterior door. I drilled out the old
screw holes and filled them with 3/8" dowels, the 1-1/2" long, splined
kind made for joinery. A decent hardware store should have them. I
then drilled new pilot holes for the screws.

zxcvbob

Kai Seymour wrote:
blue wrote:

[...]

I don't think I would do that -- you're drilling into end-grain. I would
break off a matchstick or two in the old screw holes and use the new screws.

Best regards,
Bob

patrick mitchel

Kai Seymour wrote in message
hlink.net...
blue wrote:

We bought some Stanley hinges as replacements for the solid wood doors
in our home. The hinges are in the colour "antique nickel". The supplied
screws are tiny and definately will not fit into the place of the old
screws which were #8 - #10, 1.5" - 3" (love how the previous owners were
consistent! :-).

Anyhow, are there screws available in this "antique nickel" in much
larger sizes? I've done some Googling and have come up with screws in
alternative colours such as "antique brass" (which doesn't match) but
have only found them in lengths up to 1". Our local Home Depot, Rona,
etc. didn't have anything.

the mcmaster-carr catalog (#104) pg2487 under heading wood screws, shows
#6-10 phillips head, nickel plated brass screws up to 2 1/2" from $9-16 US
per100 unless where noted some packs are 50