Old January 24th 04, 02:02 PM
Den

Default Dryer vent condensation

I have a metal vent pipe about 1 ft. long going from the dryer, to a
dryer vent hookup made of metal flashing and a plastic flapper. My
problem is that I have condensation on the outide surface on the 1 ft.
metal pipe inside the house, and it turns to ice in the winter. I would
like to insulate this pipe.Can I use ordinary unbacked inulation and
then wrap with duct tape? If not ,what can be used to insulate the pipe.
Thank You

Old January 24th 04, 09:35 PM

I agree to check teh flapper for lint - however in the real cold weather the
pipe will still get quite cold & s/b insulated to prevent condensation
dripping.

You might want to tape up any seams on the metal pipe with aluminum duct
sealing tape to prevent the moist dryer air inside the pipe from making its
way into the insulation you will be wrapping over the pipe.

"jeff" wrote in message
om...
(Den) wrote in message

I have a metal vent pipe about 1 ft. long going from the dryer, to a
dryer vent hookup made of metal flashing and a plastic flapper. My
problem is that I have condensation on the outide surface on the 1 ft.
metal pipe inside the house, and it turns to ice in the winter. I would
like to insulate this pipe.Can I use ordinary unbacked inulation and
then wrap with duct tape? If not ,what can be used to insulate the pipe.
Thank You

Hi,

Make sure the flapper door is closing properly and not sticking open
allowing cold outside air in. Regular pipe wrap can be used, metal
like duct tape works well to tape things together.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/