DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Old fashion painted wood floor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/53461-re-old-fashion-painted-wood-floor.html)

Edwin Pawlowski January 12th 04 09:39 PM

Old fashion painted wood floor

"JW" wrote in message
my wife suggests a painted wood floor upstairs in our bedrooms.

What is the minimum type or grade of wood to be used for a low traffic
area such as bedrooms ? I need something that last a while, can't
afford to redo the floor every few years.

Any type of wood will outlast the finish on it. Pine holds up for years. I
know of a couple of houses that are 200+ years old and floors are still in
good shape. Hardwood is even better but shame to paint.
Ed

Goedjn January 13th 04 07:18 PM

Old fashion painted wood floor

JW wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance. So is pine a kind of "softwood" ? If I order
pine from home depot or a lumbar yard, do I have to tell them I am using
the materials for floor covering ?

If you tell them it's for a floor, you will probably get tounge-and-groove,
which makes a better floor, but may not be authentic, depending on what
you're trying to imitate. Definately, you should tell the lumberyard
what you're using the wood for. They may have a selection of species
to choose from, or other useful suggestions.

--Goedjn

kickstart January 15th 04 11:32 PM

Old fashion painted wood floor

If I order
pine from home depot or a lumbar yard, do I have to tell them I am using
the materials for floor covering ?

Definately, you should tell the lumberyard
what you're using the wood for. They may have a selection of species
to choose from, or other useful suggestions.

--Goedjn

I doubt that it will matter to Home Depot what you are using the wood for

Kickstart

default January 16th 04 05:35 PM

kickstart wrote:

If I order
pine from home depot or a lumbar yard, do I have to tell them I am using
the materials for floor covering ?

Definately, you should tell the lumberyard
what you're using the wood for. They may have a selection of species
to choose from, or other useful suggestions.

--Goedjn

I doubt that it will matter to Home Depot what you are using the wood for

Home depot isn't a lumberyard, it's a warehouse. OP was talking about
a real lumber yard.