DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Home owner insurance... ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/53342-home-owner-insurance.html)

Brian Fisher January 10th 04 11:29 AM

Home owner insurance... ?

I have State Farm here in Alabama... I believe theres a problem with my
breaker box or something.... my lights have always "flickered" since I
bought this house 11yrs ago but never really had no trouble.
I would say within the last few months weird things have happened ie
vcrs eats' tapes as if the machine was broke! I notice a burning
electrical smell around the breaker box but the breakers are not hot to
the touch. But yet I have shot about 3 light bulbs just within 24hrs,
Question is... should I contact my insurance agent now that I feel that
my house may be in danger of a fire hazard? or do I wait until it may
eventually catch on fire.
Do most insurances help us homeowners with possible hazards? should I
put in a claim for what I think is a problem or should I wait for a
fire?

CBhvac January 10th 04 01:34 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

"Brian Fisher" wrote in message
I have State Farm here in Alabama... I believe theres a problem with my
breaker box or something.... my lights have always "flickered" since I
bought this house 11yrs ago but never really had no trouble.
I would say within the last few months weird things have happened ie
vcrs eats' tapes as if the machine was broke! I notice a burning
electrical smell around the breaker box but the breakers are not hot to
the touch. But yet I have shot about 3 light bulbs just within 24hrs,
Question is... should I contact my insurance agent now that I feel that
my house may be in danger of a fire hazard? or do I wait until it may
eventually catch on fire.
Do most insurances help us homeowners with possible hazards? should I
put in a claim for what I think is a problem or should I wait for a
fire?

I feel I am being hooked by a troll, but..here goes..

No..you are supposed to be diligent enough to call a damn electrician BEFORE
you have a problem....like a fire.

Speedy Jim January 10th 04 02:05 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

Brian Fisher wrote:

I have State Farm here in Alabama... I believe theres a problem with my
breaker box or something.... my lights have always "flickered"

SNIP

Call the electric utility. They may be very helpful.

Jim

Jeff Cochran January 10th 04 03:05 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 05:29:24 -0600 (CST), (Brian
Fisher) wrote:

I have State Farm here in Alabama... I believe theres a problem with my
breaker box or something.... my lights have always "flickered" since I
bought this house 11yrs ago but never really had no trouble.
I would say within the last few months weird things have happened ie
vcrs eats' tapes as if the machine was broke! I notice a burning
electrical smell around the breaker box but the breakers are not hot to
the touch. But yet I have shot about 3 light bulbs just within 24hrs,
Question is... should I contact my insurance agent now that I feel that
my house may be in danger of a fire hazard? or do I wait until it may
eventually catch on fire.
Do most insurances help us homeowners with possible hazards? should I
put in a claim for what I think is a problem or should I wait for a
fire?

Unless your insurance agent is a licensed electrician, you're getting
ahead of the game.

Jeff

Jim Thompson January 10th 04 03:12 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

Fisher) wrote:

I have State Farm here in Alabama... I believe theres a problem with my
breaker box or something.... my lights have always "flickered" since I
bought this house 11yrs ago but never really had no trouble.
I would say within the last few months weird things have happened ie
vcrs eats' tapes as if the machine was broke! I notice a burning
electrical smell around the breaker box but the breakers are not hot to
the touch. But yet I have shot about 3 light bulbs just within 24hrs,
Question is... should I contact my insurance agent now that I feel that
my house may be in danger of a fire hazard? or do I wait until it may
eventually catch on fire.
Do most insurances help us homeowners with possible hazards? should I
put in a claim for what I think is a problem or should I wait for a
fire?

Call the power company, you probably have a bad neutral.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

Brian Fisher January 10th 04 03:26 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

I have had a electrician here before.. The main breaker on the panel
burnt out. They used another un-used breaker and made that the main
breaker.

Brian Fisher January 10th 04 03:26 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

HA HA Budys Here January 10th 04 03:27 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

I have State Farm here in Alabama... I believe theres a problem with my
breaker box or something.... my lights have always "flickered" since I
bought this house 11yrs ago but never really had no trouble.
I would say within the last few months weird things have happened ie
vcrs eats' tapes as if the machine was broke! I notice a burning
electrical smell around the breaker box but the breakers are not hot to
the touch. But yet I have shot about 3 light bulbs just within 24hrs,
Question is... should I contact my insurance agent now that I feel that
my house may be in danger of a fire hazard? or do I wait until it may
eventually catch on fire.
Do most insurances help us homeowners with possible hazards? should I
put in a claim for what I think is a problem or should I wait for a
fire?

Insurance companies cover damages caused through no fault of your own.

Improper or lack of maintainence isn't covered, you're responsible for
correcting known problems and defects not your insurance company.

Toller January 10th 04 05:03 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

"Brian Fisher" wrote in message
I have had a electrician here before.. The main breaker on the panel
burnt out. They used another un-used breaker and made that the main
breaker.

Call somebody quickly; the electric company or the insurance company can
both recommend qualified electricians. All of the stuff you mentioned might
just be coincidence, but they are certainly bad signs.

I also am unsure what you mean by a main breaker burning out, and using an
unused breaker as a main. You couldn't have had an extra 100a breaker
sitting there unused, it would have had to be a new replacement. You you
mean that part of the box was damaged beyond use, the electrician just used
another place for the main breaker? You might need a new panel.

Without seeing (or at least getting a meaningful description) I don't know
what you have there, but I would be inclinded to shut off the main breaker
until you get someone in to see it.

Phisherman January 10th 04 05:57 PM

Home owner insurance... ?

An insurance policy helps recover from a mishap or disaster, not for
maintenance issues or potential hazards. You really need to contact a
qualified electrician and explain your situation. A smell at the
breaker box is a red flag that something is wrong.

Daniel L. Belton January 11th 04 04:04 AM

Home owner insurance... ?

Brian Fisher wrote:
I have State Farm here in Alabama... I believe theres a problem with my
breaker box or something.... my lights have always "flickered" since I
bought this house 11yrs ago but never really had no trouble.
I would say within the last few months weird things have happened ie
vcrs eats' tapes as if the machine was broke! I notice a burning
electrical smell around the breaker box but the breakers are not hot to
the touch. But yet I have shot about 3 light bulbs just within 24hrs,
Question is... should I contact my insurance agent now that I feel that
my house may be in danger of a fire hazard? or do I wait until it may
eventually catch on fire.
Do most insurances help us homeowners with possible hazards? should I
put in a claim for what I think is a problem or should I wait for a
fire?

Well, if you contact your insurance agent, be prepared to immediately
place a call to an electrician. If not, and you do have a fire, then
your insurance company can refuse to pay because you knew there was a
problem, yet did nothing to fix it.

Your insurance has no coverage to repair things like that. The entire
cost will be out of your pocket. If you noticed it right after you
moved into the house, how come you didn't go back on the previous owners
to repair it?

Daniel L. Belton January 11th 04 04:10 AM

Home owner insurance... ?

Brian Fisher wrote:

I have had a electrician here before.. The main breaker on the panel
burnt out. They used another un-used breaker and made that the main
breaker.

What?? Usually there is only one breaker in the panel large enough to
be the main. They had to have put a different one in there, or else you
are seriously overloading it now.