Billy

Default Craftsman 88700 SnowBlower for $500 ?

Anyone have any comments on this model for my needs? It's a 5HP, two-stage,
4 cycle Tecumseh engine. The downside is that it only has one forward gear
and a 22" clearing path. I have one being held for me for $500.

I live in NJ and snowfall is normally not extreme. I'll be clearing an 80' x
10' driveway, a 40' x 10' walkway, and 35' x 25' patio, and a 100' x 3'
sidewalk. All relatively flat land except the drive has a very slight uphill
grade.

Is there another manufacturer/model that I should consider before making
this purchase?

Tom Miller

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:05:00 -0500, "Billy" wrote:

| Anyone have any comments on this model for my needs? It's a 5HP, two-stage,
| 4 cycle Tecumseh engine. The downside is that it only has one forward gear
| and a 22" clearing path. I have one being held for me for $500.
|
| I live in NJ and snowfall is normally not extreme. I'll be clearing an 80' x
| 10' driveway, a 40' x 10' walkway, and 35' x 25' patio, and a 100' x 3'
| sidewalk. All relatively flat land except the drive has a very slight uphill
| grade.
|
| Is there another manufacturer/model that I should consider before making
| this purchase

I also live in NJ and except for the patio have exactly the same areas
to clean as you -- the drive even slopes like yours. My 5 hp MTD 2
stage, now about 5-6 years old, is just barely adequate for a heavy
snowfall, especially a wet snow. Mine has 5 speeds forward and 2
reverse, mostly useless as I almost always have to plow in 1st or 2nd.
3rd gear can be used in only the lightest and driest of snow cover.
4th and 5th are for? -- well I have no idea, maybe for driving it
around in the summer. And a second reverse speed? Again, no idea.

All in all, I would be happier if I had gone for the 8 hp model. The 5
hp conks out in packed snow -- such as the end of the drive after the
plow has gone by. You have to really baby it and stop and go
constantly. Significant ice layers on or under the snow, which we
often get here, makes it equally likely to stall. I keep finding that
just a little more power would have made all the difference.

On the flat and without really soggy-wet or really icy snow it works
perfectly, no complaints.

Be sure to get chains for the tires, no matter what the literature
claims or the salesman says about knobby tires.

At this time of year you are not going to have many choices, so you
might not be able to find any alternatives.
JWB

"Billy" wrote in message
Anyone have any comments on this model for my needs? It's a 5HP,

two-stage,
4 cycle Tecumseh engine. The downside is that it only has one forward gear
and a 22" clearing path. I have one being held for me for $500.

I live in NJ and snowfall is normally not extreme. I'll be clearing an 80'

10' driveway, a 40' x 10' walkway, and 35' x 25' patio, and a 100' x 3'
sidewalk. All relatively flat land except the drive has a very slight

uphill
grade.

Is there another manufacturer/model that I should consider before making
this purchase?

5 hp will do the job, but barely. A little higher (even 6hp) is much better.
I also once had a craftsman, and to be honest, it was obviously "cheap". I
returned it and bought a Toro 6/22 from a local dealer. A much better
machine, and handles my driveway / walkway easily.

SandroF1

"JWB" wrote in message ...
"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Do yourself a favour and buy yourself a Honda snowblower.

JWB

"SandroF1" wrote in message
om...
"JWB" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

why? The toro is just fine. Maybe honda is "better", but there is a point
where it really doesn't matter much.

Jane

Except when you try to start it!

HAHAHHAHHAHA

AMerican crapola

Buy Jap

Starts first time every time

Like Zeros!

HAHAHHAHAHHA
"JWB" wrote in message
news
"SandroF1" wrote in message
om...
"JWB" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Billy

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:05:00 -0500, "Billy" wrote:

| Anyone have any comments on this model for my needs? It's a 5HP,

two-stage,
| 4 cycle Tecumseh engine. The downside is that it only has one forward

gear
| and a 22" clearing path. I have one being held for me for $500.
|
| I live in NJ and snowfall is normally not extreme. I'll be clearing

an 80' x
| 10' driveway, a 40' x 10' walkway, and 35' x 25' patio, and a 100' x

3'
| sidewalk. All relatively flat land except the drive has a very slight

uphill
| grade.
|
| Is there another manufacturer/model that I should consider before

making
| this purchase

I also live in NJ and except for the patio have exactly the same areas
to clean as you -- the drive even slopes like yours. My 5 hp MTD 2
stage, now about 5-6 years old, is just barely adequate for a heavy
snowfall, especially a wet snow. Mine has 5 speeds forward and 2
reverse, mostly useless as I almost always have to plow in 1st or 2nd.
3rd gear can be used in only the lightest and driest of snow cover.
4th and 5th are for? -- well I have no idea, maybe for driving it
around in the summer. And a second reverse speed? Again, no idea.

All in all, I would be happier if I had gone for the 8 hp model. The 5
hp conks out in packed snow -- such as the end of the drive after the
plow has gone by. You have to really baby it and stop and go
constantly. Significant ice layers on or under the snow, which we
often get here, makes it equally likely to stall. I keep finding that
just a little more power would have made all the difference.

On the flat and without really soggy-wet or really icy snow it works
perfectly, no complaints.

Be sure to get chains for the tires, no matter what the literature
claims or the salesman says about knobby tires.

At this time of year you are not going to have many choices, so you
might not be able to find any alternatives.

I'm going with the 9HP $799 model per your experience. It has 6 gears and a
larger 29" clearing path. The auger is not serrated so I don't know how well
it will do with ice, but it will surely handle any snowstorm that we get
here in NJ. I received a free 3 year on-site service contract in addition to
the warranty, because I have to wait 10 days for it to arrive. I'm going to
hold off on the chains, though. Is there any other uses that you have for
your snowblower? I've seen a sweeping brush that attaches to one unit. I
wonder if this device could serve any other purposes with optional
attachments.

Billy

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:05:00 -0500, "Billy" wrote:

| Anyone have any comments on this model for my needs? It's a 5HP,

two-stage,
| 4 cycle Tecumseh engine. The downside is that it only has one forward

gear
| and a 22" clearing path. I have one being held for me for $500.
|
| I live in NJ and snowfall is normally not extreme. I'll be clearing

an 80' x
| 10' driveway, a 40' x 10' walkway, and 35' x 25' patio, and a 100' x

3'
| sidewalk. All relatively flat land except the drive has a very slight

uphill
| grade.
|
| Is there another manufacturer/model that I should consider before

making
| this purchase

I also live in NJ and except for the patio have exactly the same areas
to clean as you -- the drive even slopes like yours. My 5 hp MTD 2
stage, now about 5-6 years old, is just barely adequate for a heavy
snowfall, especially a wet snow. Mine has 5 speeds forward and 2
reverse, mostly useless as I almost always have to plow in 1st or 2nd.
3rd gear can be used in only the lightest and driest of snow cover.
4th and 5th are for? -- well I have no idea, maybe for driving it
around in the summer. And a second reverse speed? Again, no idea.

All in all, I would be happier if I had gone for the 8 hp model. The 5
hp conks out in packed snow -- such as the end of the drive after the
plow has gone by. You have to really baby it and stop and go
constantly. Significant ice layers on or under the snow, which we
often get here, makes it equally likely to stall. I keep finding that
just a little more power would have made all the difference.

On the flat and without really soggy-wet or really icy snow it works
perfectly, no complaints.

Be sure to get chains for the tires, no matter what the literature
claims or the salesman says about knobby tires.

At this time of year you are not going to have many choices, so you
might not be able to find any alternatives.

I'm going with the 9HP $799 model per your experience. It has 6 gears and a
larger 29" clearing path. The auger is not serrated so I don't know how well
it will do with ice, but it will surely handle any snowstorm that we get
here in NJ. I received a free 3 year on-site service contract in addition to
the warranty, because I have to wait 10 days for it to arrive. I'm going to
hold off on the chains, though. Is there any other uses that you have for
your snowblower? I've seen a sweeping brush that attaches to one unit. I
wonder if this device could serve any other purposes with optional
attachments.

David Babcock

Better take a look at the posting about the snowblower that wont work

"I've got a Honda HS-55, a 5 1/2 HP track machine that worked ok only 2
weeks ago. Upon pulling it out today, it will run in reverse or in
3rd gear but will not move when shifted into 1st or 2nd gear. The
blower and auger work fine. Anyone have ideas? thanks. Walt

That and Honda's cost almost twice what any other cost's
Maybe buy two snowblowwers and then have a spare for the price of the honda

"Jane" wrote in message
.net...
Except when you try to start it!

HAHAHHAHHAHA

AMerican crapola

Buy Jap

Starts first time every time

Like Zeros!

HAHAHHAHAHHA
"JWB" wrote in message
news
"SandroF1" wrote in message
om...
"JWB" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Miller

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 21:52:56 -0500, "Billy" wrote:

| Is there any other uses that you have for
| your snowblower? I've seen a sweeping brush that attaches to one unit. I
| wonder if this device could serve any other purposes with optional
| attachments.

Well, sometimes in the summer I hang wet rags on the handle after I
wash the cars. ;-)
Tom Miller

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 21:52:56 -0500, "Billy" wrote:

| Is there any other uses that you have for
| your snowblower? I've seen a sweeping brush that attaches to one unit. I
| wonder if this device could serve any other purposes with optional
| attachments.

Well, sometimes in the summer I hang wet rags on the handle after I
wash the cars. ;-)

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jane" wrote in message
Except when you try to start it!

HAHAHHAHHAHA

AMerican crapola

Buy Jap

Starts first time every time

I had a couple of mowers with B & S engines. After a couple of years they
were hard to start. I decided to buy the best mower I could find. Starts
on the first pull every time after five years of use. Yep, that John Deere
is the best U S of A mower you can buy and it starts reliably every time
with the Kawasaki engine it has.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Robert Barr

David Babcock wrote:
Better take a look at the posting about the snowblower that wont work

Try posting he

http://www.whatsthebest-lawnmower.co...ndex;start=100

Robert Barr