DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/53194-worth-upgrading-high-efficiency-furnace.html)

Victoria Heisner January 8th 04 08:03 AM

Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:23:54 +0000, kevins_news wrote:

Are there any theoretical numbers? A TV commercial says "It will save
the average household X dollars a month" but with no indication of
what "average" is. Maybe someone has a study where a mid efficiency
furnace runs for X hours a day to heat the house, and a HE furnace
would only run for Y hours. I could use that ratio to estimate
something.

Any thoughs appreciated.

http://www.doityourself.com/estimate/furnacebtu.htm

HTH,
Vicki

The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like independent thinkers.

George E. Cawthon January 9th 04 12:53 AM

Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

Michael Daly wrote:

On 7-Jan-2004, "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Probably from the U.S. Canada and the U.S. have a Columbia
River treaty and several other agreements about operation of
the large reservoirs on the upper Columbia River in B.C.

BC gets the benefits and this subsidizes Albertans? You don't
know much about Canadian politics! :-)

More likely, the Albertan subsidies come from oil sales.

Mike

Nope, I don't. The treaty is with Canada not BC and not
Alberta. How Canada divies up the money is unlikely to be
in the treaty.

George E. Cawthon January 9th 04 01:00 AM

Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Maybe you are thinking of furnaces out in the garage, but
ours is in the center of the house it an enclosure, hate to
call it a closet. No way is it quiet, or would be quiet
regardless of type.
Hell, I can hear the hum of the attic fan in certain parts
of the house.

I'm sorry - you are incorrect. If the ductwork is sized properly and
installed well you would be amazed. I changed out a unit today, it was in a
closet directly off the living room. When I started the unit up, the HO
argued with me that it wasn't on. He is extremely pleased with his new
variable speed. It sounds as if you need to determine why you have to wedge
cans against parts of your system to stop the noise. I'm guessing there are
install issues. Best of luck to you it's been fun but if you still insist
that higher efficiency units are likely to be louder than standard
efficiency units, we must agree to disagree.

- Robert

Yeah I would be amazed, unless that closet is heavily
sounded proofed. The tin can took care of the resonance
noise. It had no effect and would be expected to have an
effect on the burner noise or the blower noise. You are
arguing against a point I didn't make; I said the higher
efficency one would likely be more noise, not louder, more
noisy referring to longer periods of noisy.

George E. Cawthon January 9th 04 01:04 AM

Victoria Heisner wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:23:54 +0000, kevins_news wrote:

Are there any theoretical numbers? A TV commercial says "It will save
the average household X dollars a month" but with no indication of
what "average" is. Maybe someone has a study where a mid efficiency
furnace runs for X hours a day to heat the house, and a HE furnace
would only run for Y hours. I could use that ratio to estimate
something.

Any thoughs appreciated.

http://www.doityourself.com/estimate/furnacebtu.htm

HTH,
Vicki

The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like independent thinkers.

Don't need it, but the calculator gave an error and wouldn't
work.

Tony Hwang January 9th 04 01:04 AM

George E. Cawthon wrote:

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

No basement?
Our furnace, hot water tank, whatever noise makers are in the
basement.

American Mechanical January 9th 04 03:18 AM

Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:00:10 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Yeah I would be amazed, unless that closet is heavily
sounded proofed. The tin can took care of the resonance
noise. It had no effect and would be expected to have an
effect on the burner noise or the blower noise. You are
arguing against a point I didn't make; I said the higher
efficency one would likely be more noise, not louder, more
noisy referring to longer periods of noisy.

Say again?? It's going to be noisy for longer periods of time? Well
how about if the new high efficiency unit produces significantly few
decibels, ie is quieter, but runs longer does that mean it's noisier
than the old unit that produces quantitatively more noise for a
shorter period? I think you're stretching here.

--
Don't get stuck in a closet -- wear
yourself out.

Yes, I've given up in attempting to explain the very clear, very plain fact
that about no matter HOW you slice this pie - the *quality* brand high
efficient unit when installed *properly* will most likely produce *less*
noise than a standard efficiency, worst case scenario would be the *same*
noise level/noise duration.

Respectfully giving up on this thread,

- Robert

Victoria Heisner January 9th 04 04:30 AM

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:04:04 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Victoria Heisner wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:23:54 +0000, kevins_news wrote:

Are there any theoretical numbers? A TV commercial says "It will save
the average household X dollars a month" but with no indication of
what "average" is. Maybe someone has a study where a mid efficiency
furnace runs for X hours a day to heat the house, and a HE furnace
would only run for Y hours. I could use that ratio to estimate
something.

Any thoughs appreciated.

http://www.doityourself.com/estimate/furnacebtu.htm

Don't need it, but the calculator gave an error and wouldn't
work.

Don't know, worked fine for me....

Vicki

Don't know what time I'll be back, Mom. Probably soon after she throws me out.

Michael Daly January 9th 04 05:23 AM

On 8-Jan-2004, "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

The treaty is with Canada not BC and not
Alberta. How Canada divies up the money is unlikely to be
in the treaty.

Well if it goes to the feds, it definitely won't benefit the
Alberta residents in anything that resembles a gas rebate.

Mike

George E. Cawthon January 9th 04 05:37 AM

Tony Hwang wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

No basement; wish I had one. All of the newer homes with
crawl spaces have the furnace and hot water tank in the
garage, but that practice wasn't common here when our house
was built.

George E. Cawthon January 9th 04 05:42 AM

wrote:

Yeah I would be amazed, unless that closet is heavily
sounded proofed. The tin can took care of the resonance
noise. It had no effect and would be expected to have an
effect on the burner noise or the blower noise. You are
arguing against a point I didn't make; I said the higher
efficency one would likely be more noise, not louder, more
noisy referring to longer periods of noisy.

Say again?? It's going to be noisy for longer periods of time? Well
how about if the new high efficiency unit produces significantly few
decibels, ie is quieter, but runs longer does that mean it's noisier
than the old unit that produces quantitatively more noise for a
shorter period? I think you're stretching here.

--
Don't get stuck in a closet -- wear
yourself out.

How about a bigger house? Does that imply it is taller?
Noise isn't one dimensional.