DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   repairing old windows (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/53132-repairing-old-windows.html)

Joseph O'Brien January 5th 04 03:42 AM

repairing old windows

I'm looking for a practical guide to repairing old windows. I
initially bought "Repairing Old and Historic Windows" by the New York
Landmarks Conservancy, which pointed me in many of the right
directions. However, it assumes a certain comfort level with
woodworking and is written more for contractors and the property
owners who hire them. I'm a homeowner with limited woodworking skills
and resources. I know I could probably hire someone to do it, but I
would really like to do it myself, perhaps over the course of a few
years.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
joseph

David Babcock January 5th 04 03:59 AM

repairing old windows

Look for a course at a Technical School or a local College covering old home
or repairs. But as always, getting your hands dirty is usually the best way
to learn. You will make mistakes, it is your job to keep them small ones.
What I try to do before any repair or rehab I undertake is think it out
pretty thoroughly. Do a little research, ask tons of questions, especially
to those older and wiser than me. Get the appropriate tools and have them
with you when you start. (that's sort of like measure twice, cut once) I had
an old-timer say to me once. "Nice tools ya got, make sure you bring em with
ya". (Say it with a downeast accent)
If you're reglazing.......well that's a whole nuther discussion. I would
like to try one of those tools that connect to a drill for removing old
glazing compound.

Dave

om...

New & Improved - N/F John January 8th 04 03:26 AM

repairing old windows

"David Babcock" wrote in message
[...]

You have to be really careful with old glass. I would only use a hand tool
to remove glazing. Maybe a heat gun could help but no power tool. You will
break the old glass. I would start with a 1" steel puddy knife. Careful
around the glazing tacks.