IZ

Default Carrier Gas Furnace - Ignition Lights But Nothing Else

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace Model #58GS050-2

When I turn the thermostat to Auto or Heat and call for heat, the
electronic ignition clicks, fires up but then nothing afterwards! I
let the pilot stay in this state for 5, 10, 15 minutes but the furnace
never kicks in.

Do I have a faulty solenoid? Again, the pilot lights just fine.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Happy new year (brrrrrr)

-Izik

CBhvac

"IZ" wrote in message
om...
I have a Carrier Gas Furnace Model #58GS050-2

When I turn the thermostat to Auto or Heat and call for heat, the
electronic ignition clicks, fires up but then nothing afterwards! I
let the pilot stay in this state for 5, 10, 15 minutes but the furnace
never kicks in.

Do I have a faulty solenoid?

Have you checked it?

Again, the pilot lights just fine.

Ok.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Best advice? Look in the yellow pages for a licenced repair tech.
We just cant see it from here.

Happy new year (brrrrrr)

-Izik

alt-hvac Moderated

How would we know? You sure don't give us much information to work with.

If you get pilot but not furnace, then I'm thinking bad gas valve. You might
want to check and see if the gasvalve is getting power.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

"IZ" wrote in message
om...
I have a Carrier Gas Furnace Model #58GS050-2

When I turn the thermostat to Auto or Heat and call for heat, the
electronic ignition clicks, fires up but then nothing afterwards! I
let the pilot stay in this state for 5, 10, 15 minutes but the furnace
never kicks in.

Do I have a faulty solenoid? Again, the pilot lights just fine.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Happy new year (brrrrrr)

-Izik

CBhvac

"alt-hvac Moderated" wrote in message
How would we know? You sure don't give us much information to work with.

If you get pilot but not furnace, then I'm thinking bad gas valve. You

might
want to check and see if the gasvalve is getting power.

Chris..stop giving advice you are neither qualified, nor trained to give.
One of these days, someone will take your advice seriously, like the guy
with the snowblower, and you will hurt someone.

--

"IZ" wrote in message

om...
I have a Carrier Gas Furnace Model #58GS050-2

When I turn the thermostat to Auto or Heat and call for heat, the
electronic ignition clicks, fires up but then nothing afterwards! I
let the pilot stay in this state for 5, 10, 15 minutes but the furnace
never kicks in.

Do I have a faulty solenoid? Again, the pilot lights just fine.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Happy new year (brrrrrr)

-Izik

Jabs

alt-hack Moderated,
I read your stupid-ass reply and now I'm wondering how or who should he call
to check to see if he's got power to the gas valve. An electrician? Or did
you mean that he should run out to Radio Shack and buy a wiggy so he can
check if the gas valve has power? BTW, what if the electrician or his
brother-in law tells him that he has no power to the gas valve? Now what?

Hey you alt-hack Moderated dumb-ass!......ever seen a house-fly inside of a
3-wire pilot safety switch before?

Jabs

"alt-hvac Moderated" wrote in message
How would we know? You sure don't give us much information to work with.

If you get pilot but not furnace, then I'm thinking bad gas valve. You

might
want to check and see if the gasvalve is getting power.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated
A free, easy to use Yahoo! group

"IZ" wrote in message
om...
I have a Carrier Gas Furnace Model #58GS050-2

When I turn the thermostat to Auto or Heat and call for heat, the
electronic ignition clicks, fires up but then nothing afterwards! I
let the pilot stay in this state for 5, 10, 15 minutes but the furnace
never kicks in.

Do I have a faulty solenoid? Again, the pilot lights just fine.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Happy new year (brrrrrr)

-Izik

kjpro

"Jabs" wrote in message
alt-hack Moderated,
I read your stupid-ass reply and now I'm wondering how or who should he

call
to check to see if he's got power to the gas valve. An electrician? Or

did
you mean that he should run out to Radio Shack and buy a wiggy so he can
check if the gas valve has power? BTW, what if the electrician or his
brother-in law tells him that he has no power to the gas valve? Now what?

Hey you alt-hack Moderated dumb-ass!......ever seen a house-fly inside of

3-wire pilot safety switch before?

Jabs

Now you gone and done it..........

You was talking his language with the "wiggy" and all,
but when you start using tech terms like "3-wire pilot" you just left his
ass in the dark!!

You have to tell him that it's that thingy under the burners with the "3"
wittle wires going to it,
where the flame the looks like a lighter.........that's it!!!

:-)

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

TURTLE

"Jabs" wrote in message
alt-hack Moderated,
I read your stupid-ass reply and now I'm wondering how or who should he

call
to check to see if he's got power to the gas valve. An electrician? Or

did
you mean that he should run out to Radio Shack and buy a wiggy so he can
check if the gas valve has power? BTW, what if the electrician or his
brother-in law tells him that he has no power to the gas valve? Now what?

Hey you alt-hack Moderated dumb-ass!......ever seen a house-fly inside of

3-wire pilot safety switch before?

Jabs

This is Turtle.

What to do now? Stormy can alway just wire around the 3 wire pilot safety
and run it direct till he can figure out what is wrong with it. Awwwwww, You
don't think it could be something wrong with the 3 wire pilot safety switch
do you/ Nawwwww , forget it , Stormy will figure it out and his next area of
the search would be , it's got to be something to do with the ductwork
being too big and letting too much air throught it and causing this problem.
That's it.

TURTLE

vairxpert

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:58:25 -0500, "alt-hvac Moderated"
wrote:

How would we know? You sure don't give us much information to work with.

If you get pilot but not furnace, then I'm thinking bad gas valve. You might
want to check and see if the gasvalve is getting power.

Hey "I'm thinking guy"...here's a clue for you.

green
yellow
white

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:18:48 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
When sensor gets rusty, it does not work well. Remove it and gently rub
off rust/dirt with fine grade sand paper or emery cloth and reinstall.
Furnace works on sequential logic(step by step), really no brainer.

Not unlike your advice.

Seeing as you don't know what the **** you're talking about,
why don't you stop giving advice on the subject ?

So seems like you're stuck in the step where it should sense the
flame.

Seems like you hvae noe earthly clue what the problem is.

'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints,
ya know ?'

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
George E. Cawthon

Greg O wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

JB Books wrote:
(IZ) wrote in message

. com...

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace Model #58GS050-2

When I turn the thermostat to Auto or Heat and call for heat, the
electronic ignition clicks, fires up but then nothing afterwards! I
let the pilot stay in this state for 5, 10, 15 minutes but the furnace
never kicks in.

Do I have a faulty solenoid? Again, the pilot lights just fine.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Happy new year (brrrrrr)

-Izik

the problem is a dirty flame sensor. find the metal rod that is in
the pilot flame and sand it clean.

JB Books

Hi,
When sensor gets rusty, it does not work well. Remove it and gently rub
off rust/dirt with fine grade sand paper or emery cloth and reinstall.
Furnace works on sequential logic(step by step), really no brainer.
1. Call for heat.
2. Ignite gas as main valve opens.
3. Sense the flame.
4. After buit-in delay, turn on the fan.
So seems like you're stuck in the step where it should sense the
flame.
Can't you read the error code off the control module? My Carrier
Weathermatic gives off error code by way of blinking LED on control
module.
HNY,
Tony
Tony

Tony, have you ever worked on a Carrier furnace model the OP has? I did not
think so! You description is not even close!
Greg

Oh yeah. Pretty close to what the manual for my gas furnace
says. I would suspect that every 85 efficiency gas furnace
would have about the same sequence of events. He left out
starting the inductor fan and yes the ignition starts and
then the gas valve opens but the sequence is pretty damn
close. Some of you guys act like it's some kind of black
art that nobody but 20 year veterans can figure out.
Anybody that is reasonably smart and has mechanical
apptitude and reads the manual can figure it out, especially
if someone helps him with some of the arcane terminology.

wrote:

You're a ****ing clueless idiot, JB. You don't have one freaking
small clue what the problem is, so stop giving advice about it.

Why all the vitriol?

Nick

American Mechanical

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Oh yeah. Pretty close to what the manual for my gas furnace
says. I would suspect that every 85 efficiency gas furnace
would have about the same sequence of events. He left out
starting the inductor fan and yes the ignition starts and
then the gas valve opens but the sequence is pretty damn
close. Some of you guys act like it's some kind of black
art that nobody but 20 year veterans can figure out.
Anybody that is reasonably smart and has mechanical
apptitude and reads the manual can figure it out, especially
if someone helps him with some of the arcane terminology.

85 what? Same sequence of events? Does the OP even have an inductor fan
(sic) ?
Pretty damn close sequence of events for standing pilot, intermittent pilot
spark ignition, intermittent pilot HSI, direct spark, direct HSI?

Any reasonably smart person such as yourself would be able to check things
to the best of their ability and if then the problem is not apparent, call
someone to have the furnace repaired. If not, then feel free to disassemble
your car engine by reading the owner's manual when it won't start.

- Robert

TURTLE

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Greg O wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
> [...]

JB Books wrote:
(IZ) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

Well , you and tony are on a wild goose chace of JB's . What your speaking
about the flame sencer being the problem. Well you can sand on it all you
want and it will do just about as much good as sanding on the tail pipe of
your car to help it start. Well there is two other parts that can cause this
problem and JB wants use to tell you what they are so he can use it as info
to creat trouble here on the newsgroup. We don't give trolls info and have
them use it to run their head about how smart they are. I will email the op
and discuss it but not to JB or yourself so JB can hear what it is. We don't
talk to tolls about info of the systems.

OH, Yea, It's a 58G and not a 58GH if your looking for similar numbers. The
58G is in the old style and 58GH is the new style. Two different horses or
dogs.

TURTLE

Greg O

Greg O wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
> [...]

JB Books wrote:
(IZ) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

Well, think what you want, they all are not the same! He missed this one by
a mile. I just repaired one yesterday so the sequence is fresh in my mind.
Is the furnace standing pilot, direct spark, or intermittant pilot? spark or
hot surface?Those are the popular types right now. Thay all work
differantly.
Greg

Greg O

[...]

Since you know it all, how about giving the guy some advice
besides telling him to call a technician and calling
everyone else an idiot.

Because that is the best advice to give! Not knowing his technical skills no
way would any intelligent person give advice to a possibly unskilled person.
If he had the skills to repair the furnace, he would not need to be here!
Greg

TURTLE

"Jabs" wrote in message
alt-hack Moderated,
I read your stupid-ass reply and now I'm wondering how or who should he

call
to check to see if he's got power to the gas valve. An electrician? Or

did
you mean that he should run out to Radio Shack and buy a wiggy so he can
check if the gas valve has power? BTW, what if the electrician or his
brother-in law tells him that he has no power to the gas valve? Now what?

Hey you alt-hack Moderated dumb-ass!......ever seen a house-fly inside of

3-wire pilot safety switch before?

Jabs

This is Turtle

You know with all that fluttering going on , it would be a lot of horror of
the a event going on and might be able to call it a Offending Device as
Stormy might say.

Hey Does the horse Fly buzz faster if you have 120 volts on the flipper ?

TURTLE

George E. Cawthon

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

Notice I said "mechanical apptitude" and "read the manual."
Some reason you didn't want to include that? and an
owners's manual is primarily a driver manual, which tells
you to go to the dealer any time you have a problem. You
need to look at a repair manual. LOL, maybe you thought
manual training meant you never had to look in a manual.
George E. Cawthon

Greg O wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
> [...]

JB Books wrote:
(IZ) wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Hi Turtle:

I didn't say anything about a flame sensor, because I don't
know whether he has one or what kind of safety features it
has, I was just being very general. A flame sensor is
listed as one of the parts for my furnace, and I was
surprised at how much info there is.

Probably shouldn't say anything, but it yanks my chain the
way some people thing that other people can't and shouldn't
do anything for themselves. What I can accomplish in 3 hour
may be done in an hour or less by someone that is really
familiar and has done the same thing over and over. But why
not me? I took the carburetor apart on my first Harley and
cleaned it because I though it wasn't operating right. Sure
I put the choke in backwards (so it was partially choked all
the time). But the Harley Dealer didn't catch it when it
told him it idled a little rough, but I got at least 50
percent better gas mileage than before. I remember the
number, because my average speed and the gas mileage over a
400 mile trip were the same, 50. I asked two brothers on a
Matchless and an A.J. about the rough idle, so listened to
it for about 20 seconds, immediately knew what the problem
was and had the choke back in correctly in about 5 minutes.

AJScott

In article ,
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

(snip)

Probably shouldn't say anything, but it yanks my chain the
way some people thing that other people can't and shouldn't
do anything for themselves. What I can accomplish in 3 hour
may be done in an hour or less by someone that is really
familiar and has done the same thing over and over. But why
not me?

(snip)

There's really nothing "wrong" per se with DIY'ing, but all things being
equal, I suppose it just matters how much you value your time and mental
health. Sure, you'll save yourself money by, instead of spending $100 to
have a pro do it in one hour, you spend $50 in parts and spend 3 hours
muddling thru the job yourself. For some people (myself included), doing
something else for those 2 hours that results in significantly less
cussing, wrestling with rusted-on parts, or maybe slicing off a finger
with a power tool is well worth the extra 50 bucks.

And paying the extra $50 to a pro in the first place is far less than
the X-times more $$$ I'd have to pay the same pro to undo what I screwed
up because I didn't know what I was doing or getting into in the first
place.

IMO, spending what amounts to a pittance to a pro so I don't find myself
having water shooting out a pipe, or being without heat or hot water for
an extended period of time, or just plain blowing myself up is well
worth it.

AJS
JB Books

Greg O wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
> [...]

JB Books wrote:
(IZ) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

This is jb books

you are right george. every furnace has the same identical start up
steps to accomplish the same thing. manufactures may vary the way
they accomplish it but he sequence is always the same. his furnace is
stuck at no pilot senced stage. these guys make it harder than it has
to be.

sometimes i think this group of big mouth owners never actually do any
of the manual labor part of this job. i think they sit in chairs and
talk **** on here all day. i think they have forgotton how to work on
furnaces. crazy isn't it.

heres a tip for you lurkers that own carier or bryant furnaces. if
it gets stuck in pilot take a big screwdriver and rap the pilot a few
times banging the handle of the screwdriver on the silver pilot
assembly and see if the burners come on. carrier and bryant use that
type of pilot all the time with spark type pilot. they call it a
three wire pilot here for i learned everything i know from here.

jb books
American Mechanical

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Due to ignorant replies of Mr. Cawthon and unnecessary cross-posting this
will be my final reply to his drivel and is seen below.

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

Notice you don't have a clue. The main reason I didn't include "mechanical
aptitude" and "read the manual" is that neither apply to the OP's problem.
I thought it fairly obvious that the point of your post was to state that
the sequence of operation for "85 efficiency" gas furnaces was near
identical. Obviously I've pointed out many different methods of ignition,
therefore many different sequences of operation. I'll reference technical
literature when needed, maybe you need to STFU.

- Robert

CBhvac

m...

Greg O wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
> [...]

JB Books wrote:
(IZ) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

Same identical start up? No...I think not.

sometimes i think this group of big mouth owners never actually do any
of the manual labor part of this job. i think they sit in chairs and
talk **** on here all day. i think they have forgotton how to work on
furnaces. crazy isn't it.

I will make you the same offer I made Stormin Mormon, AKA Chris Young...you
come work for me a day...you make the same thing you normally make, or
better, and the only other thing thats different, is we get to tape you
working for a training vid...you might be in the section titled, This is how
its done right, or you might be in the section titled, You never want to do
this stupid ****.

heres a tip for you lurkers that own carier or bryant furnaces. if
it gets stuck in pilot take a big screwdriver and rap the pilot a few
times banging the handle of the screwdriver on the silver pilot
assembly and see if the burners come on. carrier and bryant use that
type of pilot all the time with spark type pilot. they call it a
three wire pilot here for i learned everything i know from here.

Now its obvious that you are clueless, or else you would have thrown in
Tempstar and Payne, since ICP is the company that owns them all....and just
tell me what in hell is gonna happen when someone takes your advice, has a
pacemaker installed, and the damn things got a spark ignitor with 10,000
volts behind it?
OR they dont know what kind of ignition they have and its a HSI and they
destroy the ignitor? How about those old gaspacks that use a standing pilot
with a relight system and its bad? Amazing that you have survived this long
without someone getting hurt.

jb books

Jabs

"JB Books" wrote: .

This is jb books

heres a tip for you lurkers that own carier or bryant furnaces. if
it gets stuck in pilot take a big screwdriver and rap the pilot a few
times banging the handle of the screwdriver on the silver pilot
assembly and see if the burners come on. carrier and bryant use that
type of pilot all the time with spark type pilot. they call it a
three wire pilot here for i learned everything i know from here.

jb books

Yeah JB, but in your case I said "Rap your pilot as hard as you can with a
14" pipe wench until you can see an inferno". You stupid ****ing idiot!

Jabs

alt-hvac Moderated

Glad you got your choke fixed. I've had one or two cases where I put
something back together in the wrong order, and had to go back and redo it.
Kind of thing happens to everyone.

Wonder if the fellow ever did get his furnace fixed?

[...]

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:32:33 -0500, "alt-hvac Moderated"
wrote:

Amazing how many things you can fix with a whack of a screw driver. Works
for all kinds of things.

Chris aka Stormy Mormy, that's about the limit of your
ability. Maybe one day you'll move up to using a BFS ( Bigger ****ing
Screwdriver) and be able to hack up even more equipment.

You're an amazing example of what's wrong with the HVAC
industry.

'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints,
ya know ?'

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
Jabs

wrote:

Chris aka Stormy Mormy,....

You're an amazing example of what's wrong
with the HVAC industry.

Paul,
Concerning Stumped Mormon, I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.
However, now that I read your reply, all I can say is BINGO!

Jabs

JB Books

"CBhvac" stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com wrote in message ...

xtd out

I will make you the same offer I made Stormin Mormon, AKA Chris Young...you
come work for me a day...you make the same thing you normally make, or
better, and the only other thing thats different, is we get to tape you
working for a training vid...you might be in the section titled, This is how
its done right, or you might be in the section titled, You never want to do
this stupid ****.

ok but im sorry one day inst worth my time. i charge 500 dollars a
day 5 day min 5 days. plus air travel expences coach will be fine a
rent a car lodging and a 50 dollar a day per diem. ill sent you my
address to mail travel and lodging confirmation numbers. i dont know
what offer you made that other guy but i requier payment in full up
front. if you cant afford me i understand. i also need to know two
weeks in advance of the flight date.

jb books