DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sony satellite dish - any use for it? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/53001-re-sony-satellite-dish-any-use.html)

Bruce December 31st 03 10:43 PM

Sony satellite dish - any use for it?

In alt.home.repair
"Chantecleer" wrote:

Got a Sony Satellite Dish. DirecTV had replaced it with theirs. The Sony
looks good. Wondered if there is any use for it.

Some hacks or something.

Or is it old news and should be thrown out?

make it a wok

Jeff Wisnia January 1st 04 12:42 AM

Sony satellite dish - any use for it?

You might try putting a mike at its focal point and eavesdropping on folks
with it. They sell something like that under the name "The Big Ear".

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Chantecleer wrote:

Got a Sony Satellite Dish. DirecTV had replaced it with theirs. The Sony
looks good. Wondered if there is any use for it.

Some hacks or something.

Or is it old news and should be thrown out?

Chantecleer

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."

andy asberry January 1st 04 03:48 PM

Sony satellite dish - any use for it?

Chantecleer wrote:

Got a Sony Satellite Dish. DirecTV had replaced it with theirs. The Sony
looks good. Wondered if there is any use for it.

Some hacks or something.

Or is it old news and should be thrown out?

Chantecleer

I have a DirecWay dish. I thought of lining it with 1 inch square
mirrors and place a rotisserie at the focal length. Solar grill!

Steve January 1st 04 04:08 PM

Sony satellite dish - any use for it?

Sell/give it to a Ham radio operator who may use it for satellite comms.

Steve

news:emV0YW4=.5630a37ec5d6ab7e5dbaf58a075f1d7f@107 2910207.cotse.net...

B a r r y B u r k e J r . January 1st 04 10:34 PM

Sony satellite dish - any use for it?

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:08:22 -0600, "Steve"
wrote:

Sell/give it to a Ham radio operator who may use it for satellite comms.

In areas that recently got DirecTV local service needing the oval
dish, the scrap metal heaps at dumps and recycling centers are full of
round dishes.

Barry

Keith S. January 3rd 04 03:37 AM

Sony satellite dish - any use for it?

Sell the LNB on ebay

Dick Smyth January 3rd 04 05:27 PM

Sony satellite dish - any use for it?

Paint a happy face on it!

"Keith S." wrote in message
Sell the LNB on ebay

Frogleg January 4th 04 02:32 PM

Sony satellite dish - any use for it?

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:27:42 -0500, "Dick Smyth"
wrote:

Paint a happy face on it!

Years (and years and years) ago a large radar dish in Peru (don't ask)
needed some maintenance and a field site crew used some on-hand paint
to bring it up to code, made a happy face, stowed the dish in the
upright position, and left the area. While the decor didn't affect the
performance of the dish at all, some in Officialdom were *not* amused.
Of course they took pictures before they left. :-)

Bagobolts January 15th 15 02:34 AM

I need a Sony DSS dish! If you plan to sell it on Ebay let me know, PLEASE!