Joel

Default Whole house Humidifier questions.

I'm looking for a whole house humidifier, instead of individual units that
need constant watering and cleaning.

I'm unable to get solid assessment of any of these units, pro or cons, from
sources other than hearsay or guesses.

Anyone out there have experience or can point to comparisons and risks of
these units.

Some of the stuff I've heard is that the atomizing units will put a white
dust into my ducts. The "disc" units will harbor and promote mold growth
within my ducting, and that most of the moisture will never make it out of
the register. Same has been said for the atomizing units as well.

Anyone got any answers?

wayne

This topic has been discussed at least 20 times if you do a google search
you will see all the answers

long story short the drip type with no standing water is best!

Wayne

"Joel" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm looking for a whole house humidifier, instead of individual units that
need constant watering and cleaning.

I'm unable to get solid assessment of any of these units, pro or cons,

from
sources other than hearsay or guesses.

Anyone out there have experience or can point to comparisons and risks of
these units.

Some of the stuff I've heard is that the atomizing units will put a white
dust into my ducts. The "disc" units will harbor and promote mold growth
within my ducting, and that most of the moisture will never make it out of
the register. Same has been said for the atomizing units as well.

Anyone got any answers?

Joseph Meehan

I agree with wayne.

I will add that the AprilAir seems to be the most respected unit. On
that basis I bought one and have not been sorry.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Joel" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm looking for a whole house humidifier, instead of individual units that
need constant watering and cleaning.

I'm unable to get solid assessment of any of these units, pro or cons,

from
sources other than hearsay or guesses.

Anyone out there have experience or can point to comparisons and risks of
these units.

Some of the stuff I've heard is that the atomizing units will put a white
dust into my ducts. The "disc" units will harbor and promote mold growth
within my ducting, and that most of the moisture will never make it out of
the register. Same has been said for the atomizing units as well.

Anyone got any answers?

Joseph Meehan

Once a year media replacement. I also wipe it out when I replace it.
In the spring I turn it off (one lever, shut off the water supply and turn
the control to off. It takes about five minutes total with the media
replacement, about one minute without.

The media has a bacteria inhibitor built in. That and the design which
rinses it as it is used, seems to take care of everything. I paid $8.00 for
a third party media this year and it seems to be working fine. I would say
the OE appeared to be a little better @ $19.95

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Joel" wrote in message
ink.net...
What kind of annual maint/expense does the Aprilair unit require? What

about
mold and bacteria buildup? Is that an issue with these units?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
I agree with wayne.

I will add that the AprilAir seems to be the most respected unit.

On
that basis I bought one and have not been sorry.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Joel" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

wayne

The only downside to the drip type humidifiers is that they do waste water
in that more drips on the pad than is put into the air so there is a drain
tube that goes down the drain. Probably a few gallons a day depends on how
often the furnace runs and what the humidity is! I have had the wheel type
as well as the atomizing the drip is the best by far!

Wayne

"Joel" wrote in message
ink.net...
What kind of annual maint/expense does the Aprilair unit require? What

about
mold and bacteria buildup? Is that an issue with these units?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
I agree with wayne.

I will add that the AprilAir seems to be the most respected unit.

On
that basis I bought one and have not been sorry.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Joel" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

B Long

Where do you get the 3rd party media?

I have an AprilAire and am a bit concerned about mold buildup in my home
walls if I use the humidifier.

I also have a 95% furnace with outside flue gas discharge through PVC
piping. I'd like to also use PVC for the air intake to the furnace - OK per
the furnace manual - but wonder if that would also contribute to mold
buildup since I'd have much less air infiltration. Any comments anyone?
Bob

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Once a year media replacement. I also wipe it out when I replace it.
In the spring I turn it off (one lever, shut off the water supply and turn
the control to off. It takes about five minutes total with the media
replacement, about one minute without.

The media has a bacteria inhibitor built in. That and the design

which
rinses it as it is used, seems to take care of everything. I paid $8.00

for
a third party media this year and it seems to be working fine. I would

say
the OE appeared to be a little better @ $19.95

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Joel" wrote in message
ink.net...
What kind of annual maint/expense does the Aprilair unit require? What

about
mold and bacteria buildup? Is that an issue with these units?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
I agree with wayne.

I will add that the AprilAir seems to be the most respected unit.

On
that basis I bought one and have not been sorry.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Joel" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Joseph Meehan

"B Long" wrote in message
Where do you get the 3rd party media?

I have an AprilAire and am a bit concerned about mold buildup in my home
walls if I use the humidifier.

I also have a 95% furnace with outside flue gas discharge through PVC
piping. I'd like to also use PVC for the air intake to the furnace - OK

per
the furnace manual - but wonder if that would also contribute to mold
buildup since I'd have much less air infiltration. Any comments anyone?
Bob

I tend to believe you are worrying too much. Have you had a mold
problem? Do you have people in your home who have verifiied mold
sensitivity?

It would be rare that you would have mold on walls without some sort of
construction problem adding moisture to the wall, like a roof or plumbing
leak or insulation problem.

The Aprilair and most other humidifiers are adjustable to keep the
humidity to a predetermined level. In addition many, including the Aprilair
I have automatically adjust based on the outside air temperature to prevent
such problems.

Maybe you have had or heard of problems from less advanced units?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

B Long

OK, thanks,
No building nor people problems with mold so far. The house is 40 years old
so it's not particularly tight. I have the Aprilaire with outside air temp.
sensor.
I'll stop worrying.
thanks,
bob

"B Long" wrote in message
[...]

alt-hvac Moderated

The aprilaires I've worked with have a flow through design. No catch pan. No
standing water. No annual maint.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated