DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stuck screw-in light bulbs. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/52755-stuck-screw-light-bulbs.html)

PVR December 23rd 03 02:02 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some such?

Peter.

George E. Cawthon December 23rd 03 04:29 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

PVR wrote:

I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some such?

Peter.

Yep, try spraying the base of the bulb with WD 40 and let
sit for a few minutes (or overnight if you wish). You are
likly to have to bite the bullet and just twist and they may
break. No big deal, just use a leather glove and a thick
towel. Don't forget to turn the fixture off, or better,
flip the breaker. If it blub breaks try the old potato
trick-- shove a potato tapered into the base and turn the
potato. You may end up having to grab the base with a pair
of needle nose pliers and twisting the base.

TURTLE December 23rd 03 06:03 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

"PVR" wrote in message
t...
I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some

such?

Peter.

This is Turtle.

George nailed it down but now just go for it.

TURTLE

wahitaw warrior December 23rd 03 06:11 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

"PVR" wrote in message et...
I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some such?

Peter.

Use a rag or something to get it out and if it breaks you can take a
pair of needle nose pliers and work the base out. If it is really
stuck in there you can bend the broken bulbs base in as you twist and
get the base out. Turn of power preferably at the breaker before
fooling with it.

OK, after you get the bulb out go to home cheapo or lowes or an
electrical supply house and buy a small container of NOALOX....this is
paste used to coat aluminum wire connections. You can use it on
aluminum or brass based light bulbs as a lubricant and this will
prevent this from happening again.

Some people also use plain old vaseline, vaseline is non conductive
but a thin layer is all you need and it doesnt seem to impede the
grounding. The NOALOX is conductive and is a better choice if you can
find it. You dont need much, just a thin coating on the threads.

I use NOALOX on all my outdoor bulbs. I had to replace a very old
fixture on my back porch after the whole fixture fell apart trying to
get a bulb out.

kjpro December 23rd 03 06:51 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

If they do break, (make sure the power is off) and use a potato.

Push it onto the broken socket of the bulb and unscrew it.

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

Kelvin L. Mok December 23rd 03 08:26 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:02:21 GMT, "PVR" wrote:

I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some such?

It is probably easier, faster, cheaper and safer just to replace the
light socket.

cm December 23rd 03 09:21 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

Check this out:
http://www.wd40jobsite.com/secret_de...686&c=1&q=&s=1

Craig in AZ

www.azcraig.us

t...

PJx December 23rd 03 02:45 PM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:02:21 GMT, "PVR"
wrote:

I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some such?

Peter.

Lots of good answers above.

But when you replace any bulb, you should apply something to the base
of the new bulb before you screw it in so it doesn't stick to the
socket. I'm a guy with greasy hair that leaves nasty rings around
the collar, so if I haven't showered then I just rub the bulb in my
hair before inserting and it works fine. Otherwise I stop by the
pantry and get a dab of cooking oil to lubricate the base.

PJ

December 23rd 03 03:36 PM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

OK, after you get the bulb out go to home cheapo or lowes or an
electrical supply house and buy a small container of NOALOX....this is
paste used to coat aluminum wire connections. You can use it on
aluminum or brass based light bulbs as a lubricant and this will
prevent this from happening again.

Iv'e used a little silicone grease, or a dielectric silicone grease too.
Thanks, Tony D.

"wahitaw warrior" wrote in message
om...

jim December 23rd 03 07:13 PM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

PVR wrote:

I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some such?

Peter.

might be time to take the fixture down and break the bulb out and then
replace the screw in part of the fixture, they cost about $1.00 at
almost any hardware store... alot cheaper then replacing the whole
fixture....

George E. Cawthon December 24th 03 01:35 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

TURTLE wrote:

"PVR" wrote in message
t...
I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some

such?

Peter.

This is Turtle.

George nailed it down but now just go for it.

TURTLE

Hold it. Now we have to discuss what type of potato. I've
always tried a white potato (russet) but after looking a the
yam or sweetpotato lying on the counter I think I'd go with
that--harder than Hades and already the correct shape.

TURTLE December 24th 03 05:54 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

TURTLE wrote:

"PVR" wrote in message
t...
I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The

bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking

the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some

such?

Peter.

This is Turtle.

George nailed it down but now just go for it.

TURTLE

Hold it. Now we have to discuss what type of potato. I've
always tried a white potato (russet) but after looking a the
yam or sweetpotato lying on the counter I think I'd go with
that--harder than Hades and already the correct shape.

This is Turtle.

You know your right here. i thought about it and there is one Tator that
would be far superior to any other Tator and that would be a Keel Dried
Sweet Tator with a 1.35" head on it. The Keel dried sweet tators are very
dry and more harder to take the added pressure when you twisted on the
Tator.

So i say use the Keel Dried Sweet Tator with 1.35" head on both ends to have
a back up head to twist on it if your first head splits under pressure.

Good Point here.

TURTLE

Stormin Mormonn December 24th 03 01:49 PM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

What if she's a little bit pregnant?

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

wrote:

I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some

such?

Peter.

Just remember this:
You can always unscrew a light bulb, but you can never unscrew a
pregnant woman.

[email protected] December 24th 03 02:04 PM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

If they do break, (make sure the power is off) and use a potato.

Push it onto the broken socket of the bulb and unscrew it.

I Are you sure? I thought potatoes were used on tailpipes.

Tom Bach December 24th 03 09:18 PM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

"PVR" ) writes:
I have some light fittings where the bulb is tightly screwed in. The bulbs
almost appear to be glued in. I can't remove them for fear of breaking the
bulb. Any suggestions for loosening the bulbs? How about WD 40 or some such?

Peter.

If it's still stuck, try a technique that sometimes helps for stuck
screws/bolts, tighten the bulb a little first. I think this serves
to break any bit of oxide that is gripping the threads. May help.

George E. Cawthon December 25th 03 12:26 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

Pros (adults) use potatoe for electrical work, childern use
potatoes for jokes and other nonsense.

George E. Cawthon December 29th 03 12:39 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

Hey, that's a thought. Maybe somebody ought to try that.

I heard you can even eat them

Phisherman December 29th 03 01:16 AM

Stuck screw-in light bulbs.

I never tried a potato (as I'm allergic to them), but I've removed
broken bulbs with needle-nose pliers.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:39:37 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Hey, that's a thought. Maybe somebody ought to try that.

I heard you can even eat them