BAN

Default Paint Scheme For Basement Soffits?

I am ready to paint my newly finished basement.

The ceilings are smooth drywall and are only about 7 1/2 feet high.
As in typical basements, I have built soffits around the I-beams and
the hvac ducting. The ceiling will be white and the walls will be a
beige color with white trim.

For a low ceiling, what is the best strategy for painting?

1. Paint the soffits white on all sides to match the ceiling? The
thinking here is that the soffits blend into the ceiling.

2. Paint the sides of the soffits the wall color and the bottom of the
soffit white to match the ceiling? The thinking here is that surfaces
parallel to the ceiling are white, and surfaces parallel to the walls
are colored.

3. Paint all sides the wall color. The thinking here is that this
will not give the impression of a lower ceiling, but may tend to break
up the room more.

Your input is appreciated.
m Ransley

Elvis`s favorite color was pink and black,

Michael J. Anderson

Default 1st Home

Our first home!!! :-)

My wife and I will be moving into our first home in early February. I
want to make the home a very economically functioning unit. We need a
new refrigerator and dish washer ASAP and I was wondering what does one
look for as far as operational efficiency?

Thank you,
Michael

Tracey

BAN wrote:

2. Paint the sides of the soffits the wall color and the bottom of the
soffit white to match the ceiling? The thinking here is that surfaces
parallel to the ceiling are white, and surfaces parallel to the walls
are colored.

This is what we did. Our soffit is in the middle of the room. not along the
edge. In our room, the ceiling (and undersides of the soffits) are white,
the walls are red and the sides of the soffits are yellow. I wanted to add
an accent color, and it also makes them stand out so that my tall DH is
lesss likely to hit his head on them.

#1 - Energy Star rated

#2 - All appliances have a yellow sticker showing the average energy
consumption for this type of device, and where this particular
appliance compares to like devices. The yearly cost for energy at a
given energy cost is also shown.

Read the yellow label.

Barry
AJScott

Congratulations on your new home and may you and yours see many happy
years ahead of you. If you're anything like the rest of us around here,
you're not a homeowner, but rather, a home-moaner.

If I recall right, all major appliances carry a big huge yellow-sticker
thingamajig that shows how much energy they're likely to suck up, and as
far as effiency matters, it all basically comes down to how much money
your appliances are going to suck out of your wallet year after year.
That's a pretty decent general-thumbnail guide as far as efficiency
goes, methinks. But then again, you could just revert to beating your
clothes on a rock alongside the nearest river or creek and churning your
own butter.

Other than that, you can just annoy the living **** out of any
major-appliance salesman anywhere you go by buying and absorbing the
past 5 years' worth of back-issues of Consumer Reports.

AJS

In article
,
"Michael J. Anderson" wrote:

Our first home!!! :-)

My wife and I will be moving into our first home in early February. I
want to make the home a very economically functioning unit. We need a
new refrigerator and dish washer ASAP and I was wondering what does one
look for as far as operational efficiency?

Thank you,
Michael

C G

"Michael J. Anderson" wrote:

Our first home!!! :-)

My wife and I will be moving into our first home in early February. I
want to make the home a very economically functioning unit. We need a
new refrigerator and dish washer ASAP and I was wondering what does one
look for as far as operational efficiency?

Congrats, I'm sure you are both excited. You might also go to the
library and look at back issues of Consumer Reports. They give you
information on how well they work as well as measured efficiency and
reliability.
m Ransley

For operational efficiency look at the yellow tags on cost to operate,
Energy Star rates everything and consumer reports helps. Sears makes the
most efficient top freezer 19.5 cu ft models. But research is your
best strategy so you dont go in blind.

Childfree Scott

Bid low and bid often.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:16:09 -0800, someone wrote:

Our first home!!! :-)

My wife and I will be moving into our first home in early February. I
want to make the home a very economically functioning unit. ...

Congrats on your 1st house.

You may be unrealistic in how far you can really go with energy
savings on merely selecting a refrigerator and DW, *if* you plan to
live conventionally. The difference each month would be less than the
cost of one dinner out.

To save more, hand wash your dishes in cold water, and don't buy a
frost-free refrigerator (if you can even find a full sized one). But
most people in the US want convenience and (in the case of the DW) are
obsessed with sterilization, so they use energy.

There are large differences between the best and worst appliances, but
the energy difference between average and better than average probably
isn't that much.

-v.