Arthur Harris

Default Who sells a plain old ladder?

I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No luck.
All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would like
a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on the
garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

Thanks,
Art Harris

m Ransley

Ace, Sherwin Williams, Taco Bell

AJScott

You cannot buy the 10-12 foot ladders at Taco Bell. Those are reserved
for the exclusive use of drunkards who crawl up to the drive-thru window
on their bellies at 2am because they've forgotten where they parked
their cars.

AJS

In article ,

Ace, Sherwin Williams, Taco Bell

alt-hvac Moderated

Ransley drinking again? That's probably where he got the ladder at Taco
Bell.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

(m Ransley) wrote:

Ace, Sherwin Williams, Taco Bell

George E. Cawthon

Arthur Harris wrote:

I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No luck.
All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would like
a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on the
garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Have you though about making one from two 2x4s with 1x4s for
cross pieces? Just made a 12 footer for my son for about
$12 (used screws). My 10 footer is nearly 30 years old and
uses only nails.

TURTLE

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Arthur Harris wrote:

I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No

luck.
All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would

like
a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on the
garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Have you though about making one from two 2x4s with 1x4s for
cross pieces? Just made a 12 footer for my son for about
$12 (used screws). My 10 footer is nearly 30 years old and
uses only nails.

This is Turtle

Can you spell back ack after using a 12 foot home made ladder?

TURTLE

TURTLE

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
.net...
I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No

luck.
All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would

like
a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on the
garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

Thanks,
Art Harris

This is turtle.

Art -- Home Depot, Walmarts, Southlands, Low's, Sam's Wholesale places all
have just about every type ladder you want. Your Home depot your shopping at
has lost their ordering manager for everybody else has everything you want.

Arthur Harris

"m Ransley" wrote:
Ace, Sherwin Williams, Taco Bell

Well, a quick check of Ace Hardware and Sherwin Williams websites shows all
they carry are step ladders and extension ladders. Haven't checked Taco Bell
yet.

I'm looking for simple, single section aluminum ladder.

Art Harris

Arthur Harris

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:
Have you thought about making one from two 2x4s with 1x4s for
cross pieces? Just made a 12 footer for my son for about
$12 (used screws). My 10 footer is nearly 30 years old and
uses only nails.

I may end up doing that. But I'd really rather have an aluminum ladder for a
its light weight. I can't believe how hard it's been to find a simple,
single section ladder.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Art Harris

Arthur Harris

"TURTLE" wrote:
Art -- Home Depot, Walmarts, Southlands, Low's, Sam's Wholesale places

all
have just about every type ladder you want. Your Home depot your shopping

at
has lost their ordering manager for everybody else has everything you

want.

I'll have to try Walmart. But so far the places I've tried carry every type
of ladder EXCEPT what I want. They have step ladders, extension ladders,
ladders that fold into various shapes, but not a simple 12-foot single
ladder.

Art Harris

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:56:01 GMT, "Arthur Harris"
wrote:

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

If you'll NEVER use it for anything taller, look up "Ladders and
scaffolding" in your local yellow pages.

If you think you might occasionally need to go higher, buy an
extension ladder and use only the bottom section

For a one shot deal, you may be able to rent one.

Barry
Arthur Harris

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

If you'll NEVER use it for anything taller, look up "Ladders and
scaffolding" in your local yellow pages.

If you think you might occasionally need to go higher, buy an
extension ladder and use only the bottom section

As I said in my original post, I already have a good Type II 28-foot
extension ladder.

But I'm looking for a lightweight 10-12 footer for various quick chores that
don't require much height. A ladder like that would be a real convienience,
and shouldn't cost too much -- if only I could find one.

Art Harris

Rick Brandt

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

If you'll NEVER use it for anything taller, look up "Ladders and
scaffolding" in your local yellow pages.

If you think you might occasionally need to go higher, buy an
extension ladder and use only the bottom section

As I said in my original post, I already have a good Type II 28-foot
extension ladder.

But I'm looking for a lightweight 10-12 footer for various quick chores that
don't require much height. A ladder like that would be a real convienience,
and shouldn't cost too much -- if only I could find one.

Perhaps you can find another person who wants the same thing. Then you could go
together on a 24 foot extension ladder and each take home a section. :-)

patrick mitchel

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

If you'll NEVER use it for anything taller, look up "Ladders and
scaffolding" in your local yellow pages.

If you think you might occasionally need to go higher, buy an
extension ladder and use only the bottom section

As I said in my original post, I already have a good Type II 28-foot
extension ladder.

But I'm looking for a lightweight 10-12 footer for various quick chores

that
don't require much height. A ladder like that would be a real

convienience,
and shouldn't cost too much -- if only I could find one.

Perhaps you can find another person who wants the same thing. Then you

could go
together on a 24 foot extension ladder and each take home a section. :-)

Pg 1631 of the mcmaster-carr industrial catalog (cat #104) shows "straight"
ladders in glass, aluminum,wood. The alu 12' ladder goes for 112.98 and is
25 1/2" width - part #8007t23 . They also show a flared base one for 3 times
the price of the straight. You might also try msc direct or graingers (or
other industrial supply houses). Pat

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:38:48 GMT, "Arthur Harris"
wrote:

But I'm looking for a lightweight 10-12 footer for various quick chores that
don't require much height. A ladder like that would be a real convienience,
and shouldn't cost too much -- if only I could find one.\

"Ladders and Scaffolding" in your local Yellow Pages. G

Here in CT, we have several excellent dealers.

Barry

jim

Arthur Harris wrote:

I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No luck.
All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would like
a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on the
garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

Thanks,
Art Harris

how much do you want to pay for a ladder????
brother in law worked for a company that needed a 6 or 7 ft. simple
folding ladder... the home center sold them for about $19 at the time,
one of those cheap alum. ones... well the company sent him to their
supplier and he paid $79 for what he thought was the same thing... it
was rated higher and not a homeowners model.....so the size you want is
out there but you gonna pay about $300 or more for it if you go to a
supply house that the pros go to as they dont sell homeowners
quality(cheap) items... these guys buy them to last with alot of abuse
over the years.....

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Arthur Harris" wrote:

But I'm looking for a lightweight 10-12 footer for various quick chores that
don't require much height. A ladder like that would be a real convienience,
and shouldn't cost too much -- if only I could find one.

For that range I use a very light handy 16' extension ladder; 2 8-foot
sections that slide together. This covers the range 8-13' very nicely
and the aluminum ladders are cheap. The extension ladders are easier to
carry and store than a plain ladder. Note that a 16' extension ladder
will only extend to 13', it needs 3' overlap. The extension ladders
without the 'missing rung' are more confortable and a bit more expensive.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Steve Dunbar

Arthur Harris wrote:

I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No
luck. All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would
like a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on
the garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

I use one of those folding multi-purpose ladders for jobs like that. You
could check ladder manufacturers' web sites (such as
http://www.wernerladder.com and http://www.louisvilleladder.com
to see if they make what you're looking for, and then ask the manufacturer
for a local dealer.

Steve

AceLink

I was looking for the same thing and, like you, I was surprised that no one
seemed to sell a plain straight single-section aluminum ladder. I never did
find what I wanted.

After reading the other posts, I started thinking that fire departments use
single-section ladders to quickly get up on porch roofs, etc. I don't know
where they get them, but my guess is that they are expensive. Maybe you
could stop by a local fire station and ask if you can see what they use.

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
.net...
I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No

luck.
All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would

like
a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on the
garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Retiredff

AceLink wrote:

After reading the other posts, I started thinking that fire
departments use single-section ladders to quickly get up on porch
roofs, etc. I don't know where they get them, but my guess is that
they are expensive. Maybe you could stop by a local fire station and
ask if you can see what they use.

And you will probably find that they are heavier then whatever ext. ladders
you can get at Lowes, etc. are. They have some pretty tough safety standards
to meet, and that is mostly done by their strength, which equates to weight.

David Babcock

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
.net...
I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No

luck.
All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would

like
a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on the
garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

Thanks,
Art Harris

I know you said you wanted a simple straight ladder, but in this case I have
a better choice. Someone mentioned a multi position folding ladder. Well
that's my two cents. I bought one because I hated dragging out my extension
ladder everytime I needed to go above ten feet. So I went to the Borg and
bought a Gorilla ladder. It folds up to a tidy 4 ft long unit, it can be
used as a step ladder, or with one side longer than another on stairs. I
just painted a ceiling on a front porch, with one end on the walkway, and
one three steps up on the porch, allowing me to paint from both sides of the
ladder, saving me a ton of time and effort. I can seperate the pieces to
make two seperate units to set up scaffolding, and it extends into one
simple plain ladder from 8ft long up to 12 ft long.
After seeing it a lot of the people I know rushed out and bought the same
idea ladder. Under $100 bucks, rated for 300 lbs. All in all the best ladder
purchase I have ever made.

Dave

Paul Furman

David Babcock wrote:
multi position folding ladder.

I got one of those & it's handy for some things but really heavy and a
pain to operate the locking mechanism. It always seems like I'm about to
get my finger crunched in the joints and it takes extra space to fiddle
with. Really heavy too.

AJScott

So true. My mother insists on having me us one of those contraptions
every time I have to do something at her house, and most times I can get
more accomplished faster if I just drove the car up alongside the house
and do what I need to do standing on the roof.

Major pains in the ass, those ladders are.

AJS