CME

Default Dimmer switch on ceiling fan question

I dont know if this the place to post but I have a question.

I have a ceiling fan with lights built into as one unit in the home dining
room, the fan/lights, each have there own pull string controls, for the
light on/off. the fan has a forward/reverse pull string control and
variable speed pull string 3 speeds I think on a pull string. There is also
one wall mounted switch controlled by a dimmer.

My question is it safe to use a dimmer switch or is it better to use a
typical on /off switch? Something tells me that I should be using a on/off
switch verses a dimmer as this would fry the fan if it was not on full
power, or cause house fire at the switch box.
Being a novice can someone tell me the SAFE way to solve this problem. As
the dimmer thats there is now burnt, I bought the house with a dimmer there.

I never run the fan but did use the dimmer to control light brigthness.

Any help appreciated.

Art Begun

There are special multispeed switches for fan motors. Check the fan
department at HD and you will find them there. Light dimmers are not
suitable for fan motors.

If the previous owner did this I would be concerned that the whole job
is a mess and that the fan is not adequately attached to the structure
of the house. In other words if he put a fan in a box made only for a
ceiling fixture it will probably fall down some day and make you very
unhappy. Since you are a novice you might want to have an electrician
check it out.

"CME" wrote in message
[...]

David Babcock

k.net...

"CME" wrote in message
[...]

You've got to separate the circuits, on off for the fan, and the dimmer for
the lights. It's very possible to do, but complicated to explain.

Dave

Art Begun

If he has only 1 wall switch he has only 1 circuit powering the fan.
Even if the fan has 2 circuits the previous owner may have wired them
together. Sounds like a mess with a dimmer attached.

"David Babcock" wrote in message

k.net...

"CME" wrote in message
[...]

jim

CME wrote:

[...]

the old dimmer swith on the wall tbat was just for a light is useless
for a ceiling fan... you cutting down on the voltage and for the lights
thats OK, but the the fan motor thats not gonna work.....

Nick

If you never use the fan, pull it down and get a light fixture and
replace the dimmer. I agree that if someone put this fan on a dimmer
the fan is probably not hung properly. Take it down before it falls
on you.

Nick