Old December 4th 03, 02:38 PM
Dare

Default Need Large Lighted Thermostat Dial

I'm not sure if this is the right ng to ask this question..
I apologize in advance if it's not.
My mother is visually impaired and has trouble seeing
her thermostat dial to set the temperature for heat.
I have been trying to find a lighted thermostat dial with
large easy-to-read numbers so she can see where the
temperature is set when she needs to adjust it.
Does anyone have a suggestion for where I might
buy one....or an idea on how to make one?

Thanks for any advice,
Dare Gaither

Old December 4th 03, 02:56 PM
Stormin Mormonn

Honeywell makes something like this. Heating guys can get one for you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

Old December 4th 03, 03:27 PM
C G

Dare wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the right ng to ask this question..
I apologize in advance if it's not.
My mother is visually impaired and has trouble seeing
her thermostat dial to set the temperature for heat.
I have been trying to find a lighted thermostat dial with
large easy-to-read numbers so she can see where the
temperature is set when she needs to adjust it.
Does anyone have a suggestion for where I might
buy one....or an idea on how to make one?

What about a digital display? The display is much larger than the
mechanical dials. Many choices at your local home improvement store.
Old December 4th 03, 04:59 PM
Dare

"Stormin Mormonn" wrote

Honeywell makes something like this. Heating guys can get one for you.

Thanks...I'll give 'em a call.
Dare

Old December 4th 03, 05:01 PM
Dare

"C G" wrote:
What about a digital display? The display is much larger than the
mechanical dials. Many choices at your local home improvement store.

That's a great idea...probably a more accurate reading, too.
Thanks,
Dare

Old December 4th 03, 05:06 PM
mark Ransley

HD has a digital lighted with numbers about 1 inch tall. You can read
it across the room

Old December 4th 03, 07:06 PM
Dare

"mark Ransley" wrote:

HD has a digital lighted with numbers about 1 inch tall. You can read
it across the room

Thanks..that sounds just about perfect.
I very much appreciate all the responses!
Dare

Old December 5th 03, 04:52 AM
CBHvac

"Dare" wrote in message
"mark Ransley" wrote:

HD has a digital lighted with numbers about 1 inch tall. You can read
it across the room

Thanks..that sounds just about perfect.
I very much appreciate all the responses!
Dare

Keep in mind that the one that HD sells, is what we in the trade call a sure
fire money maker.
If you want a lighted digital display, Robershaw makes several, that are not
sold in retail stores, that have a backlight and digital display.
So does Totalline.
So does Honeywell.
That large display stat that HD has is like a hunter or Lux..made in China
and a sure fire way to wonder why after a couple of months things are acting
screwy.

The main thing is, you have to have the right sub-base, or stat for the
application, and, the large display stat that is being talked about, is not
available for a heat pump, so if thats what she has, HD isnt the place to
look.

Old December 5th 03, 08:10 AM
TURTLE

"Dare" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormonn" wrote

Honeywell makes something like this. Heating guys can get one for you.

Thanks...I'll give 'em a call.
Dare

This is Turtle.

Awwwww , Your talking about the large faced Honeywell [ T-87F easy to See ]
accessory Kit standard round thermostat. the numbers are about 1" high and
on the outside of thermostat and has a 1/4" red arrow pointer to see where
to put it. They also have brail stuff on them if you want it put on it.
there is the thermostat at Honeywell website or
http://content.honeywell.com/yourhom...s/T87.htm#Easy to see
it and the kit that goes with it. They also have on that page a square type
if you like to see the large number too. I think now days the thermostat and
kit is sold together now but 5 + years ago you had to buythe kit seperate
from the thermostat. there is a toll free number to call to get a free
instruction guide on these thermostats at 1-800-468-1502. You know the info
paper work.

If you need to know about these more just e-mail me here and i will tell you
more about them and White Rogers has a form of this but will have to check
on them on the model they have.

TURTLE

Old December 5th 03, 02:58 PM
Dare

"CBHvac" wrote:

Keep in mind that the one that HD sells, is what we in the trade call a sure
fire money maker.
If you want a lighted digital display, Robershaw makes several, that are not
sold in retail stores, that have a backlight and digital display.
So does Totalline.
So does Honeywell.
That large display stat that HD has is like a hunter or Lux..made in China
and a sure fire way to wonder why after a couple of months things are acting
screwy.

The main thing is, you have to have the right sub-base, or stat for the
application, and, the large display stat that is being talked about, is not
available for a heat pump, so if thats what she has, HD isnt the place to
look.

Thanks...reliability is also a very important to us.
She has a gas furnace, no A/C.
After looking at some of the digital thermostats, I'm
not sure if she could see the display well enough.
I've looked around on the web to get some comparisons
on features and applications to help her decide which
might work best for her...It's become clear that this
is not going to be a "do-it-yourself" job for me.
I certainly don't want to ruin the heating system
in the middle of a cold snap! :-)

Thanks for your advice and suggestions,
Dare