Default Old Brick Wall to Paint White

Hi Folks

I've got an old west-facing large red-brick wall that no-one sees.
I want to paint it bright white to reflect heat in Summer.
What is the cheapest to use on this? I slapped some ultra cheap
ceiling white (PVA I think) on an old red tile sloping lean-too just
as a temporary sun shield thinking it would wash off in the first
Winter rains. It is still the same six years later

Moosh
SQLit

wrote in message
Hi Folks

I've got an old west-facing large red-brick wall that no-one sees.
I want to paint it bright white to reflect heat in Summer.
What is the cheapest to use on this? I slapped some ultra cheap
ceiling white (PVA I think) on an old red tile sloping lean-too just
as a temporary sun shield thinking it would wash off in the first
Winter rains. It is still the same six years later

Moosh

Buy some cheap exterior paint and dilute it 1 gallon of water to 5. Spray or
roll. Let dry a couple of days then get the good exterior paint out and
cover. Block and brick are porous and will take in the paint when diluted.
You can look for block fill but I bet you will find like I did that the
paint is cheaper. Besides your not doing block like I did.
A heavy duty power washer MIGHT get most of this off. Be sure you really
want to do this before doing it. Check out the Thermal Coat paint at the
home store for roofing. mostly advertised for mobile homes. I painted my
evap cooler several years ago with it. Not exactly bright white now but you
can still put your hand on the metal in full sun with out burning your skin.
Pricey but it works

Steve

wrote in message news:0Bmzb.53

Don't. Paint. Brick.

It's irreversible.

I agree, don't paint your brick work.. Once painted you will always have to
paint it..

Low maintenance and appearance has always been the biggest advantage of
brick..

Most methods of removing paint from brick damage the glaze surface or the
mortor.

Steve

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:21:55 -0800, "Steve" posted:

wrote in message news:0Bmzb.53

Don't. Paint. Brick.

It's irreversible.

I agree, don't paint your brick work.. Once painted you will always have to
paint it..

I agree, but acrylics (and other things) will last for 10- 15 years, I
believe. That will likely see me out.

Low maintenance and appearance has always been the biggest advantage of
brick..

Well yes, but when the Westerly Sun beats down on a dark red brick
wall when the temperature is 105 outside.....

Most methods of removing paint from brick damage the glaze surface or the
mortor.

Agree, but I do this on the understanding that it will be
irreversible.

What I was trying to find out was the pros and cons of different
paints. Acrylic, PVA, matt, gloss and so on. I've found cheap fence
paint lasts forever on large polythene planter pots. Perhaps that
might be the way to go.

Moosh

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:43:29 -0700, "SQLit"
posted:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for that. As I said in another post, I find cheap fence paint
lasts well. Perhaps a white version of this might be worth a try. If
it only lasts a few years, I can always slap something ontop to
refresh and bind.

Moosh