DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glass Scratches (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/51414-glass-scratches.html)

Herman Munster November 19th 03 06:48 PM

Glass Scratches

Hi all,
Is there any way to polish scratches out of a glass door. We had a dog
that liked to scratch when she came in, now the door looks like doggie...
well you know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
kraM

Charles Spitzer November 19th 03 07:13 PM

Glass Scratches

"Herman Munster" wrote in message
Hi all,
Is there any way to polish scratches out of a glass door. We had a dog
that liked to scratch when she came in, now the door looks like doggie...
well you know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
kraM

no. it'll be far easier, cheaper, and safer to replace the glass.

MrAoD November 20th 03 09:04 AM

Glass Scratches

"Charles Spitzer" writes:
"Herman Munster" wrote in message
Hi all,
Is there any way to polish scratches out of a glass door. We had a dog
that liked to scratch when she came in, now the door looks like doggie...
well you know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
kraM

no. it'll be far easier, cheaper, and safer to replace the glass.

Depends on what type of door (fixed glass vs inserts) and how much elbow grease
the OP is willing to put into the effort.

DAGS on glass polishing. It's basically a two step polishing system, can't
recall the first rubbing compound but the second is cesium oxide, IIRC.

Best,

Marc

Charles Spitzer November 20th 03 03:16 PM

Glass Scratches

"MrAoD" wrote in message
"Charles Spitzer" writes:
"Herman Munster" wrote in message
Hi all,
Is there any way to polish scratches out of a glass door. We had a dog
that liked to scratch when she came in, now the door looks like

doggie...
well you know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
kraM

no. it'll be far easier, cheaper, and safer to replace the glass.

Depends on what type of door (fixed glass vs inserts) and how much elbow

grease
the OP is willing to put into the effort.

DAGS on glass polishing. It's basically a two step polishing system,

can't
recall the first rubbing compound but the second is cesium oxide, IIRC.

Best,

Marc

well, yeah, except i've had dogs completely frost a panel of glass. it was
FAR easier and faster to replace it, as the woodworking had to be done
anyway since the dog scratched and destroyed it too. the amount of work to
polish a square foot of glass, not to mention that it wouldn't ever be clear
and non-wavy again, and the woodwork involved would have been FAR more than
just replacing the entire door, ime.

MrAoD November 20th 03 03:36 PM

Glass Scratches

"Charles Spitzer" writes:

"MrAoD" wrote in message

[snip]
no. it'll be far easier, cheaper, and safer to replace the glass.

Depends on what type of door (fixed glass vs inserts) and how much elbow

grease
the OP is willing to put into the effort.

[snip]
well, yeah, except i've had dogs completely frost a panel of glass. it was
FAR easier and faster to replace it, as the woodworking had to be done
anyway since the dog scratched and destroyed it too. the amount of work to
polish a square foot of glass, not to mention that it wouldn't ever be clear
and non-wavy again, and the woodwork involved would have been FAR more than
just replacing the entire door, ime.

Then you have the advantage of me. I've only done windshields, and none to
recently either.

If the damage to the OP's door is anywhere near what you describe I second your
recommendation of replacement of refinishing.

Best,

Marc