DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   making hole in wall of brick house (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/51113-making-hole-wall-brick-house.html)

j j November 10th 03 11:57 PM

making hole in wall of brick house

I want to make a hole for a vent in the wall of a brick house.
On the inside I see wood planks, on the outside there's brick. I have no
idea if there's something in between.

is there anything I should be aware of, anything I could do wrong while
cutting the hole?
there are circular blade kits used for making these kinds of holes, that's
what I will use

Chris Lewis November 11th 03 06:26 PM

making hole in wall of brick house

According to j j :
I want to make a hole for a vent in the wall of a brick house.
On the inside I see wood planks, on the outside there's brick. I have no
idea if there's something in between.

is there anything I should be aware of, anything I could do wrong while
cutting the hole?
there are circular blade kits used for making these kinds of holes, that's
what I will use

Many pros use a ordinary carbaloy bit (say, 3/8 or 1/2") in a hammer drill
to drill a rough outline and a cold chisel to chip out the rest. Less
likelyhood of doing something bad. Costs less than renting a Hilti hole
drill.

In cinder block, I've most often seen electricians and the like simply
whacking away with a hand sledge.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Mark November 12th 03 02:00 AM

making hole in wall of brick house

In article ,
says...
I want to make a hole for a vent in the wall of a brick house.
On the inside I see wood planks, on the outside there's brick. I have no
idea if there's something in between.

is there anything I should be aware of, anything I could do wrong while
cutting the hole?

Hidden studs, wiring, and plumbing.

there are circular blade kits used for making these kinds of holes, that's
what I will use

Hmmm. Either an awful small vent, or a rather expensive
tool for a one-time use.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

j j November 12th 03 03:09 AM

making hole in wall of brick house

"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...
In article ,
says...
I want to make a hole for a vent in the wall of a brick house.
On the inside I see wood planks, on the outside there's brick. I have no
idea if there's something in between.

is there anything I should be aware of, anything I could do wrong while
cutting the hole?

Hidden studs, wiring, and plumbing.

no, I forgot to say that I ripped everything out
only thing I see is some wooden boards and then I assume there's brick.

there are circular blade kits used for making these kinds of holes,

that's
what I will use

Hmmm. Either an awful small vent, or a rather expensive
tool for a one-time use.

someone else will cut it for me, he already has a tool that he used to cut
one for himself. I'm just wondering if I can damage the bricks or osmething
along those lines.
it's a 4" hole