glen

Default squeaking floor boards

I am putting down wall to wall carpet over an old
wood floor. Almost every board squeaks. What type
of nail or fastener should i use before the carpet goes
down? I don`t want squeaks after the carpet is in. Thanks

Joseph Meehan

If there is absolutely no chance of that floor ever being used by you or
anyone else as a finished floor, then get the screw gun and a lot of screws
out.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"glen" wrote in message
I am putting down wall to wall carpet over an old
wood floor. Almost every board squeaks. What type
of nail or fastener should i use before the carpet goes
down? I don`t want squeaks after the carpet is in. Thanks

Joe Bobst

What type of nail or fastener should i use before the carpet goes down?

Quickest way is to use ring shanked nails in a power nailer. Check your local
tool rental if you don't have one. Sounds like the floor has no other future,
so even if you did hardwood later, you'd want the old flooring tight so you
could put down the new stuff over it. (Power nailers are more fun than paint
ball guns...Pow!...Pow!...Pow! Everyone will be impressed.)
HTH

Joe

Carolyn Marenger

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:56:27 +0000, glen wrote:

I am putting down wall to wall carpet over an old
wood floor. Almost every board squeaks. What type
of nail or fastener should i use before the carpet goes
down? I don`t want squeaks after the carpet is in. Thanks

A screw comes to my mind. Maybe a few if the squeaky area is large
enough. (ie: covers a few joists, or is a few feet long.

You could also check to see if your joist is warped, (bowed down) and if
so might want to put some wedges in under the flooring to level the wood
floor before the carpet goes in. If the ceiling below is finished, you
might want to think twice before ripping it apart to check for warped
joists.

Carolyn
Carolyn Marenger

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:18:26 +0000, Joe Bobst wrote:

What type of nail or fastener should i use before the carpet goes down?

Quickest way is to use ring shanked nails in a power nailer. Check your local
tool rental if you don't have one. Sounds like the floor has no other future,
so even if you did hardwood later, you'd want the old flooring tight so you
could put down the new stuff over it. (Power nailers are more fun than paint
ball guns...Pow!...Pow!...Pow! Everyone will be impressed.)
HTH

Joe

In time, wood has a dendency to looses it's grip on the nail. Screws have
better long term holding power.

Carolyn