Sacrameto Dave

Default cleaning Tile

I am trying to clean the grout in two bathrooms . The grout is white but has
turned to a tan color. I have tried TSP, over the counter tile cleaners,
Bleach none of these have done the trick.I was thinking about Meriodic acid
sprayed lightly . Taking the grout out and re-grouting would not be cost
effective. Any suggestion?

Phisherman

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:39:35 GMT, "Sacrameto Dave"
wrote:

I am trying to clean the grout in two bathrooms . The grout is white but has
turned to a tan color. I have tried TSP, over the counter tile cleaners,
Bleach none of these have done the trick.I was thinking about Meriodic acid
sprayed lightly . Taking the grout out and re-grouting would not be cost
effective. Any suggestion?

Removing the grout is the way to go. When it is regrouted, make sure
to seal it. I do not recommend muratic acid--it weakens the grout
and hazardous stuff to use and store.

HJWhelenJr

The best way to clean grout is with a quality dry vapor steam cleaner.
The steam will penetrate the porous surface and float the soap
bacteria and scum out so you can wipe it up. If you have the common
two inch tiles with eighth-inch grout lines, you could use a brass
brush to lightly abrade the surface if the nylon brush doesn't give
desired result. As a last suggestion, use one part phosphoric acid to
four parts water. This is an etching compound and will erode the grout
surface after short exposure. Once the acid starts bubbling the grout
line, rinse thoroughly down the drain. It is important to remove all
residue because the chemical will even etch the ceramic on tile.
Unfortunately, nothing but grout replacement may work at this point.
The
bleach has likely changed your grout color.

Tile cleaning BIGEYE UK diy 5 March 20th 04 02:11 PM
Ceramic Tile Help!!!! YesMaam27577 Home Repair 1 November 4th 03 04:14 AM
Screwfix Tile Cutter Rod Hewitt UK diy 5 October 28th 03 10:44 PM
Another Tile Question Dorot29701 Home Repair 7 August 1st 03 01:30 AM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM