Howard Epstein

Default Killing or Re-locating Chipmunks - HELP

I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein

Boden

Get a cat. We have two and they average about 2 chipmunks a day each.
The population has been impacted significantly. Chipmunks are the
dumbest animals I've seen but they are prolific.

Boden

Howard Epstein wrote:
I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein

It is my understanding that one of the few deterrents for chipmonks is
coyote urine. You may try a search on the web for chipmonk control.

Coyote urine is stocked by many of the area nurseries.

Stan

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:05:12 -0400, Howard Epstein
wrote:

I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein

{Delete nospam for email}
Peter H

"Howard Epstein" wrote in message
I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein

Better batten the hatches Howard. There are some misguided idiots out there
who will take issue with your attempts to kill these pesky creatures.

Peter H

mark Ransley

I have the same problen but they burrow under it to get into the
house, which is probably your case , they like it warm in winter, and
will eat through a 4x4 to make an entrance. Ever hear any noise in
your walls at night . Unless your house has no wood even a sill plate
they are inside. Check your basement near the holes. Nothing has
worked for me either. try pouring poison pellets down the hole. I am
going to try antifreeze in a tray covered by a box with a littlle
hole, so large animals dont get it . Honestly im at a loss , I have
at least 4 in here and the neigbors cat visits to hunt. Now here
will follow some amimal rights asstivists, Im worried about a fire
and them chewing my wires. Kill EM

Frogleg

wrote:

I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

It seems obvious from your and your neighbor's experience that
chipmunks are a fact of life in your neighborhood. Like any other
fast-breeding rodent, eradication may be impossible. One thing you can
do is anticipate the damage and try to prevent it. With absolutely no
experience or expert knowledge, I'm thinking some sturdy 1/4" wire
mesh (hardware cloth) sunk along the sides of your walkways to depth
greater than their burrowing habits.
jmagerl

Same problem plus they gnawed a hole in my siding to get into the house (and
then gnawed thru a floor joist). also broke a lawn tractor axle when it fell
into one of their holes.
I use these to knock them down to more managable numbers.
[http://www.jerrybaker.com/JerryBaker...1&gift=False&H
SLB=False&mscssid=19A68594CFB44A7DA9BC3DFCCD71845C]

"Howard Epstein" wrote in message
I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein

mark Ransley

Like Frogleg said heavy wire mesh burried 1 foot down may help. I
did this on my shed and no problems so far. But what happens to the
ones you trap inside, well hopefully they die and dont dig out a new
hole. Ultrasonics do nada . They may go to the attic mine go up 3
stories to make their home , mothballs in the attic may help , but only
to make them live lower in the walls. A big problem for me is I have
alot of Oak trees, so they already have food for the winter, unless you
get something they like better. In winter , drinking water will be
their problem, so antifreeze may do it, or a liquid drinkable poison.
I found 7 holes they ate through the walls so far.

mark Ransley

jmagerl , What did you use as bait, and why wouldnt a regular trap work
as well.

mark Ransley

After sealing 7 holes and one in my sill through a 4x4 with stainless
steel wool and concrete , one day I heard them digging out next to the
area I sealed. Sealing the holes under the concrete is worthless, the
just dig another, Maybe heavy wire mesh , as they eat through thin
aluminum also.

mark Ransley

If you are sure holes dont go into your house try Gopher bombs, Sodium
nitrate, But any fumes getting in your house are realy dangerous ,
dont use them if your house is downwind, and be prepared to leave for a
few hours with windows open to air it out if you smell anything. They
do make tunnels up to 25 feet, how about gassing with propane.

Baron

The bucket idea is quite clever. Do the chipmunks drown or do you have
to dispatch them after being trapped? I'd like to try this on our chipmunk
problem.
I've had some success with the Hav-a-harts. I used to bait then with
mixed bird seed but found if I put the traps where they run near their
burrows, they go through them with or without bait. I think their curiosity
gets the better of them. I make it a point not to clean the trap after
relocating the animals. I am concerned that the trap would small
"suspicious" to a chipmunk.

Good Luck.

"Howard Epstein" wrote in message
I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein

Pete Bronder

I was using have-a-heart traps to control some rats and ended up catching a
lot of chipmunks. I decided to relocate them as they too were being a
nuisance and it is easier than dealing with their dead bodies. If I caught
a rat (which I didn't) I was going to experiment with euthinization via
automobile tailpipe.

When I catch a chipmunk, I put the trap in a plastic bag in case they
urinated, throw it in my trunk, drive about .5 mi. and let them loose at a
cemetery where they won't re-infest. I also used spring loaded rat traps
and killed a few chipmunks and birds that way. I didn't want to kill all
the birdies so I figured I'd have to only set the traps in the morning and
spring them at night which would be too much trouble.

Make sure you are using the right size have-a-heart trap, mine is for rats.
I use cheese and peanut butter for bait. Place the traps in their normal
pathways. At this time if year it is unlikely they will have a winter hole
setup and they would likely die but it will still get them out of your
yard. Shooting them can be fun too.

Pete

--On Tuesday, October 21, 2003 12:05 AM -0400 Howard Epstein
wrote:

I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein

Dave K.

We've had a chipmunk living under the concrete slab of our garage for a
couple years, and he hasn't caused any problems. But if you have multiple
chipmunks, I can see how that might cause problems.

Our chipmunk was attracted to our yard because of our bird feeder ... he'd
always be eating and cleaning up the spilled grains. Anyway, the reason I
mention this is because if you and/or your neighbors have bird feeders, you
may just want to take them down and see if the chipmunks eventually move to
a different area that has more food for them. Same thing with water sources
.... our chipmunk will actually go to our dog's outdoor water bowl to get
water. If you eliminate their man-made food (bird feeders) and water
(shallow dog bowls ...use buckets with high sides) sources, maybe they'll
move along ... or at least you'll attract fewer chipmunks to your yard in
the future, once the existing ones are gone.

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.
"Howard Epstein" wrote in message
I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen
burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway
which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart
traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter
bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using
a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and
a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill
3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and
if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective
? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein

WARRENRN1

once established...chipmunks do not leave... personally i like feeding the
birds, but the chopmumks have chewed their way into my garage.... i have
replaced the rubber strip on the average every 3 months.... even after soaking
it in chayenne pepper mixture... so i have taken up the sport of marksman with
an old crossman air rifle.... 4x scope... deadly accurate at 35 feet... am
sighting in 2 new rifles... a 20 cal benjamin and a single pump wms.... both
with scopes... the ONLY thing i shoot are the chipmunks...
The Jarhead

My problem is a ground hog! How do ya get rid of one of them?

Nope, shooting will not work here, unless I plan on spending some time
in jail...........