DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   corian vs staron (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/50301-corian-vs-staron.html)

Saravana October 18th 03 01:38 PM

corian vs staron

I am in the process choosing new countertops. I checked the local
kitchen sales place and they were promoting staron over corian. The
price of staron seems to be 25% less than corian but as for other
features does anyone have ideas on it? If corian and staron matched
one to one then I might have to go with staron for its price.

saravana

L. M. Rappaport October 18th 03 02:25 PM

corian vs staron

On 18 Oct 2003 05:38:04 -0700,
(Saravana) wrote (with possible editing):

I am in the process choosing new countertops. I checked the local
kitchen sales place and they were promoting staron over corian. The
price of staron seems to be 25% less than corian but as for other
features does anyone have ideas on it? If corian and staron matched
one to one then I might have to go with staron for its price.

saravana

You should also check the real thing. Last time I checked, I could
buy granite in multiple colors for less than corian. There is a place
that sells is just across the border in Canada and they will cut it
and deliver and install it.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

TOM KAN PA October 18th 03 05:29 PM

corian vs staron

You should also check the real thing. Last time I checked, I could buy
granite in multiple colors for less than corian. There is a place that sells
is just across the border in Canada and they will cut it and deliver and
install it.

____Reply Separator_____

This suggestion sounds like something you'd read in CONSUMERS REPORT.
They'll do an article on insurance, rate one the best, and then in ( ),
they'll say it's only available to retired commercial fishermen or something
like that.
Or they'll name a particular peanut butter as the best in the world, but it can
only be bought in Broken Axle, Arizona.
I assume you suggested the place in Canada because they'll deliver and install
in anywhere in the states.

EJ October 19th 03 02:16 PM

corian vs staron

"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message
On 18 Oct 2003 05:38:04 -0700,
(Saravana) wrote (with possible editing):

I am in the process choosing new countertops. I checked the local
kitchen sales place and they were promoting staron over corian. The
price of staron seems to be 25% less than corian but as for other
features does anyone have ideas on it? If corian and staron matched
one to one then I might have to go with staron for its price.

saravana

You should also check the real thing. Last time I checked, I could
buy granite in multiple colors for less than corian. There is a place
that sells is just across the border in Canada and they will cut it
and deliver and install it.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

OK, Larry. Spill the beans. How can I find those guys in Canada?

EJ

L. M. Rappaport October 19th 03 03:07 PM

corian vs staron

On 18 Oct 2003 16:29:59 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote
(with possible editing):

You should also check the real thing. Last time I checked, I could buy
granite in multiple colors for less than corian. There is a place that sells
is just across the border in Canada and they will cut it and deliver and
install it.

____Reply Separator_____

This suggestion sounds like something you'd read in CONSUMERS REPORT.
They'll do an article on insurance, rate one the best, and then in ( ),
they'll say it's only available to retired commercial fishermen or something
like that.
Or they'll name a particular peanut butter as the best in the world, but it can
only be bought in Broken Axle, Arizona.
I assume you suggested the place in Canada because they'll deliver and install
in anywhere in the states.

Sorry if I confused you. The point of my post was to suggest that the
OP also checks the local price of granite, marble, or whatever. I can
only speak from my experience, which is that the synthetics are now
more expensive up here (in northern NH) than the real thing. Perhaps
it's the same where OP lives - he didn't mention his location.

Charlie Spitzer October 20th 03 06:33 PM

corian vs staron

"houseslave" wrote in message
. net...
Why would anyone want Corian when they can have marble for about the same
price???

who in their right mind would want marble as a kitchen countertop? it'll
look nice, until you cook the first meal. if you're just taking pictures of
kitchens, it's a good product.

houseslave October 20th 03 11:41 PM

corian vs staron

Charlie,

Why wouldn't it look nice after you use it in a real world situation. I
have a laminate countertop that I keep in excellent condition and do lots of
cooking.

Charlie Spitzer October 21st 03 04:02 PM

corian vs staron

"houseslave" wrote in message
et...
Charlie,

Why wouldn't it look nice after you use it in a real world situation. I
have a laminate countertop that I keep in excellent condition and do lots

of
cooking.

please reread. a marble countertop would be a disaster. it will absorb
everything spilled on it. i don't know about you, but when i cook, i tend to
get things on the countertop. laminate is completely different. it's
plastic, as is corian.

ymmv.

L. M. Rappaport October 23rd 03 02:40 PM

corian vs staron

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:41:15 GMT, "houseslave"
wrote (with possible editing):

Charlie,

Why wouldn't it look nice after you use it in a real world situation. I
have a laminate countertop that I keep in excellent condition and do lots of
cooking.

As Charlie said, marble stains easily. However, that is not true of
granite.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Yasashii Arbaito October 23rd 03 04:19 PM

corian vs staron

(Saravana) wrote in message . com...
I am in the process choosing new countertops. I checked the local
kitchen sales place and they were promoting staron over corian. The
price of staron seems to be 25% less than corian but as for other
features does anyone have ideas on it? If corian and staron matched
one to one then I might have to go with staron for its price.

I don't think anyone actually addressed your question.... But it seems
Staron is essentially a clone of Corian, produced by Samsung Cheil
Industries in South Korea. Now I'm sure both DuPont and Samsung would
object to that "clone" characterization, pointing out all kinds of subtle
differences in composition, manufacturing and so on. But both are
simply acrylic resin with "mineral" inclusions, and will probably behave
about the same. Certainly there will be less variation than between
different types of commercial "granite" (which are often entirely
different stones).

Offhand, I would say Corian's advantages are in selection of colors,
finishes, accessories (like sink bowls), availability of repair materials,
and number of installers. Staron's advantage, of course, is price. It's
clear also that Samsung Cheil is working hard to expand Staron's offerings
and dealer base, to offset Corian's advantages there. So it's really
your choice.

Personally, while I think Corian-type material works well in bathrooms,
I'm not so fond of it for kitchen counters. But this subject has been
beaten to death, so I'll let it go.

--
Y.

Vadim October 26th 03 03:28 PM

corian vs staron

(Saravana) wrote in message . com...
I am in the process choosing new countertops. I checked the local
kitchen sales place and they were promoting staron over corian. The
price of staron seems to be 25% less than corian but as for other
features does anyone have ideas on it? If corian and staron matched
one to one then I might have to go with staron for its price.

saravana

I just got a Staron countertop installed. I asked the guy who made and
installed the countertop the same question. Here is what he told me:
1) All countertop makers buy Staron for the same price while Corian's
price to the countertop makers depends on a purchasing volume: the
more they buy, the cheaper it is. This make 'smaller guys' less
competitive. You will get more personalized attention from a small
installer, so advantage goes to Staron.
2) Staron is more heat resistant.
3) Staron is cheaper by 10% on average. The price depends on the size
of speckles. More it looks like real stone, more expensive it is.
Corian's prices seem to be more color-correlated.
4) The edge on a Staron board looks a little duller than the top part.
With Corian there is no such issue. I personally observed that but it
does not bother me.
5) Staron is a about 30 years 'younger' than Corian so it might be a
bit 'more advanced'
6) If needed, you can cut both materials on a table saw and clean up
the edge with a router and a 1/2" staright bit.
7) I have seen a vast number of Staron color samples so I can not see
Corian's advantage in that department.
8)You can not stain Staron with orange juice. Consumer Reports claimed
they could stain Corian. I tried both materials by leaving a juice
puddle on the surfaces for 3 days. To put it bluntly, either CR lied
or they shop in a Chernobyl supermarket for orange juice

Overall my installer prefers Staron over Corian. Me, I was very
impressed with the countertop. But only time will tell the overall
quality of the product

Saravana October 27th 03 03:38 PM

corian vs staron

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your feedback and the price
difference made me to prefer staron over corian. From the quote it
looks like corian cost 25% more than staron.

Saravana

Saravana October 27th 03 03:42 PM

corian vs staron

Thanks for your response.
Atleast in my area (South eastern massachusetts) staron has been
promoted heavily and sold my most counter top vendors over corian. I
made my decision to go with staron because of the price difference and
that it matches corian in most aspects.

Thanks
Saravana