DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood Floor Finishing Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/50286-wood-floor-finishing-question.html)

John Doe October 17th 03 11:29 PM

Wood Floor Finishing Question

My newly built condo has beech wood flooring that has been stained dark a la
walnut. In the same building the penthouse units have a patchy light and
dark finish that I like better. I was told that it was the same wood
flooring that was finished differently. I want to refinish my floor to look
like the penthouse units. The patchy finish looks like a fancy floor with
different kinds of wood used. The builder's wood floor guy quoted me a
price of $6/SF to refinish it. I think it's too high. Can anyone tell me
the name of this type of wood finishing? Is it a specialty or can anyone do
it? Also, I am thinking of asking for 2 extra coats of polyurethane to make
it last, is there a down side to extra poly?

TIA

mark Ransley October 18th 03 12:29 AM

Wood Floor Finishing Question

get more bids, I - we -cant see it

Edwin Pawlowski October 18th 03 03:50 AM

"John Doe" wrote in message
The patchy finish looks like a fancy floor with
different kinds of wood used. The builder's wood floor guy quoted me a
price of $6/SF to refinish it. I think it's too high. Can anyone tell me
the name of this type of wood finishing? Is it a specialty or can anyone

do
it? Also, I am thinking of asking for 2 extra coats of polyurethane to

make
it last, is there a down side to extra poly?

The finishing is the easy part. The hard part is getting the old finish
off. It must be sanded. Yes, it can be a DIY project, but you can also
screw up the floors if not done properly as the sanders are very aggressive.

I have no idea what the cost of a pro doing the job is. Yes, it sounds high
compared to the cost of a new floor. Make a couple of phone calls to others
first.
Ed

Bay Area Dave October 18th 03 05:27 AM

Wood Floor Finishing Question

if you add extra coats, be sure that all but the final coat are GLOSS,
if you want a satin or semi gloss luster. the reason is that a bunch of
coats of satin/semi will obscure the wood. If the final coat is
satin/semi over gloss, you'll still have the sheen you desire w/o hiding
the beauty of the wood.

Six bucks sounds a bit high. I live in SJ, CA and got a quote of less
than $5 a foot, but maybe there are "extenuating circumstances" in your
situation?

dave

dave