Alan Beagley

Default Can't run Romex in conduit?

In Home Depot yesterday noticed large signs warning that Romex must not
be run in conduit, according to NEC.

I wasn't planning to do so, but I'm wondering why not.

-=-
Alan

Nate Weber

"Alan Beagley" wrote in message
In Home Depot yesterday noticed large signs warning that Romex must not
be run in conduit, according to NEC.

I wasn't planning to do so, but I'm wondering why not.

-=-
Alan

Article 334.15 (B) NM - Exposed work
(B) Protection from physical damage
The cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by
conduit, EMT, schedule 80 PVC NMC, pipe, guard strips, listed surface metal
or nonmetallic raceway, or other means.

Looks like it is fine for exposed work and I can not find anything that
explicitly denies it. However, if you run it in conduit you must use the
width rather than the thickness for the conduit fill calculations.

Nate

---

TURTLE

"Alan Beagley" wrote in message
In Home Depot yesterday noticed large signs warning that Romex must not
be run in conduit, according to NEC.

I wasn't planning to do so, but I'm wondering why not.

-=-
Alan

This is Turtle.

Yes it is because of it adds to the heat build up inside the wire as the
power is flowing through it. In conduit the thinner coating will let heat
out of wire and in conduit housing and then transmitt to the outside of
conduit. The extra coating on the wire slows the heat down and wire will run
hotter than normal if it just had the thinner coating on it. Now it does not
seem to be a big deal but you got to follow the NEC because the next fellow
coming behind you may change something else and add more trouble to the
problem that you left behind of Romex in the conduit. Then the next fellow
adds more till , Then Bam Bam you have a fire. Follow the NEC rules and just
stay out of trouble all together.

Some of the stuff may seem stupid but everyone has a reason for it.

TURTLE

Bill

As a practicable matter... Try pulling some romex through conduit -
especially through a bend in conduit. Not easy to say the least.

Maybe because it is so hard to pull, someone could pull too hard and the
wire would get damaged/break. Or in a bend one side would have too much
tension on it since the jacket tends to hold the whole works together.

Loose individual wires will "slide against each other" at a bend in
conduit.

Kevin Ricks

"Nate Weber" wrote in message

"Alan Beagley" wrote in message
In Home Depot yesterday noticed large signs warning that Romex must not
be run in conduit, according to NEC.

I wasn't planning to do so, but I'm wondering why not.

-=-
Alan

Article 334.15 (B) NM - Exposed work
(B) Protection from physical damage
The cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by
conduit, EMT, schedule 80 PVC NMC, pipe, guard strips, listed surface

metal
or nonmetallic raceway, or other means.

Looks like it is fine for exposed work and I can not find anything that
explicitly denies it. However, if you run it in conduit you must use the
width rather than the thickness for the conduit fill calculations.

Nate

It may be a local code. I heard that no romex in conduit rule several times
when I lived in Bay Area CA. but never saw it in writing. They will still
let you put romex in short runs of conduit in exposed areas below 7'. An
electrician did this in my unfinished garage bofore I moved in. He used just
enough conduit to get up to 7' above floor where it does not have to be
protected. He used conduit cable clamps on the ends and all passed
inspection. I later rewired the whole garage using EMT and THHN wire.
Kevin

Mark

Turtle is right. I recently ran electrical to a detached garden shed,
and questioned the city inspector about this subject during his
inspection of my work. He said the heat build up is the concern.

He also said he will allow a small run of it from a interior wall into
a J-Box. The conduit run should be less than a foot. This was my case.
I had a exterior mounted j-box where my run to the shed began and I
tapped off an existing interior wall box. So I ran romex out from the
existing interior wall outlet to a hole in the exterior wall, where a
short piece of conduit (2-3 inches) protruded into the wall space
leading to my exterior j-box. Then in the exterior j-box wired the
romex to standard THHN wire, which made the run through the conduit
under the ground to the shed.

He said in the case I just outlined this is the prefered method. The
romex is used in the interior cavity of the wall, but comes into a
short run of conduit that seals out the elements as it exits the
exterior wall into the j-box. He said in this case the conduit is more
of an extension of the j-box since it's only a couple of inches long.
Mark