Mark Witczak

Default Firewood question--Holly

I just cut down a very large holly tree and was wondering if I can burn
the wood in my fireplace. Does anyone know if it's safe/worth doing?

Thanks,
Mark

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:53:05 -0400, Mark Witczak
wrote:

I just cut down a very large holly tree and was wondering if I can burn
the wood in my fireplace. Does anyone know if it's safe/worth doing?

It's safe, unless the woodturners find out. Burn the little stuff,
but you might find a better use for the bigger bits.

Holly is dense, so it takes a long time to dry before making a useful
firewood log.

Carolyn Marenger

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:53:05 -0400, Mark Witczak wrote:

I just cut down a very large holly tree and was wondering if I can burn
the wood in my fireplace. Does anyone know if it's safe/worth doing?

Thanks,
Mark

Wet wood creates more creasote when burning. Let it dry before you burn,
or you will have a cleaning job after.

Carolyn

TURTLE

"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
I just cut down a very large holly tree and was wondering if I can burn
the wood in my fireplace. Does anyone know if it's safe/worth doing?

Thanks,
Mark

this is Turtle.

Like andy said Don't let the splitter know the type wood and hide / burn the
leaves and small limbs and have him split it before it drys too much for he
may quite you when he has hell popping it.

Now i would suggest waiting till next winter before burning it a fire place.
i have a brother in law that fools with fire wood and he said the harder
type of wood like holly will burn with sap coming out and will smoke up the
fire place if you don't have it real dry for the sap to burn as a solid fuel
with the woods it'self. If the sap runs out, it will smoke up things a good
bit. If it is dry as hell it will be good.

TURTLE

ACID QUESTION my_2¢ Metalworking 9 November 10th 03 04:22 PM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pushfit plumbing question Lee Blaver UK diy 18 October 23rd 03 07:58 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM