DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Using a rental TILLER to till lawn (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/49904-re-using-rental-tiller-till-lawn.html)

Dan G September 19th 03 04:37 AM

Using a rental TILLER to till lawn

Make sure that the tiller that you rent has the tiller behind the drive
wheels. It will still be hard work and will require going over the area
several times. You will still probably need to rake out as much grass
and root as possible. If the tiller is in front or under the motor, it
will beat you to death. One mounted on a tractor is even better.

####################
Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G
(remove the 7)

"Ignoramus20984" wrote in message
I would like to make a garden where previously there was lawn. Using a
shovel is just too hard and I know will ruin my shoes. So I would like
to rent a tiller and use it, but I am not sure if it can do the job on
the land than never was tilled and has thick lawn grass.

Any ideas, can I expect to rent something useable?

VDH Engineering September 19th 03 06:56 AM

Using a rental TILLER to till lawn

The way that most blades behind wheel tillers have the blades configured if
you use the tiller in reverse you will be able to cut into the grass much
easier. However be advised this does put a much higher amount of stress on
the unit that it should be experiencing but wont do any harm if it is only a
small area. Several passes on the first depth setting will also work well.
--Pete

Art Todesco September 19th 03 01:52 PM

Using a rental TILLER to till lawn

Be careful with chemicals. Many poison the soil and will affect
the garden grwoth for some time. Be sure to read the labels.
Also, I have used my 18" tiller to pull up grass for a garden
area. It will bounce around but will get the job done. BTW,
it is an electric tiller (not one of those little units used to
go around existing plants) and is a great unit, however, I
haven't seen this in stores for 20 years.

C G wrote:
Ignoramus20984 wrote:

I would like to make a garden where previously there was lawn. Using a
shovel is just too hard and I know will ruin my shoes. So I would like
to rent a tiller and use it, but I am not sure if it can do the job on
the land than never was tilled and has thick lawn grass.

Any ideas, can I expect to rent something useable?

Spray the area with roundup about two weeks before tilling so you kill
off the grass. Spray the areas you missed one week before. The dead
grass and roots will enhance the soil. Be sure not to do this when the
ground is saturated, and also do not do if the ground is bone dry.

Chuck

Karen September 19th 03 06:18 PM

Using a rental TILLER to till lawn

"Ignoramus20984" wrote in message
I would like to make a garden where previously there was lawn. Using a
shovel is just too hard and I know will ruin my shoes. So I would like
to rent a tiller and use it, but I am not sure if it can do the job on
the land than never was tilled and has thick lawn grass.

Any ideas, can I expect to rent something useable?

In our cold climate, we cut the grass very short, put layers of wet
newspaper, and mulch on top during fall. The next spring, the grass,
root and newspaper turns into compost (not really, but the remains
won't hurt flowers).

v September 19th 03 07:47 PM

On 19 Sep 2003 03:17:51 GMT, someone wrote:

shovel is just too hard and I know will ruin my shoes. So I would like
to rent a tiller and use it, but I am not sure if it can do the job on
the land than never was tilled and has thick lawn grass.

Any ideas, can I expect to rent something useable?

Sure, and I don't know why it wouldn't cut through the grass, a tiller
did fine when we put a garden in, but if you turn out to have some
special hard assed soil then give up and hire a guy with a tractor.
Having not seen & dug a test pit in your yard, I couldn't tell you any
better from here.

But you'll *still* have to not run the tiller in your penny loafers.
Ruin your shoes! LOL! What were you wearing to dig with, high heels?

-v.

JD September 19th 03 08:14 PM

"v" wrote in message
On 19 Sep 2003 03:17:51 GMT, someone wrote:

shovel is just too hard and I know will ruin my shoes. So I would like
to rent a tiller and use it, but I am not sure if it can do the job on
the land than never was tilled and has thick lawn grass.

Any ideas, can I expect to rent something useable?

Sure, and I don't know why it wouldn't cut through the grass, a tiller
did fine when we put a garden in, but if you turn out to have some
special hard assed soil then give up and hire a guy with a tractor.
Having not seen & dug a test pit in your yard, I couldn't tell you any
better from here.

But you'll *still* have to not run the tiller in your penny loafers.
Ruin your shoes! LOL! What were you wearing to dig with, high heels?

Great line eh? hehehe I think high heels is about right.

Jon Endres, PE September 19th 03 10:33 PM

Using a rental TILLER to till lawn

"Ignoramus20984" wrote in message
I would like to make a garden where previously there was lawn. Using a
shovel is just too hard and I know will ruin my shoes. So I would like
to rent a tiller and use it, but I am not sure if it can do the job on
the land than never was tilled and has thick lawn grass.

Any ideas, can I expect to rent something useable?

Three ways - first the best, in order:

1. Mow the lawn as short as possible, I mean scalp it, and then lay down
several layers of newspaper, soak it, and mulch heavily with straw or some
other non-seed-bearing mulch. Wait until spring, and then till it up. Only
works if you're not in a hurry.

2. Rent a sod cutter and remove the top couple inches, pile the sod upside
down somewhere and it will turn into compost, or use it to patch other areas
of your lawn. Then till. Tough work but it's for the "I want it now"
people.

3. Just till it. Backbreaking, takes a while, depending on your soil. I
*wrecked* a 6hp Sears tiller, brand new, three years ago tilling up a 3'
wide by 40' long strip in my yard for a garden, and the roots and seeds that
were tilled under all resprouted. I have since moved on to option #1 with
planning aforethought.

Jon E

C G September 20th 03 01:38 AM

Using a rental TILLER to till lawn

Roundup is not a big deal, the active ingredient is salt. Read the
directions and you will be fine.

v September 23rd 03 11:18 PM

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:33:13 GMT, someone wrote:

3. Just till it. Backbreaking, takes a while, depending on your soil. I
*wrecked* a 6hp Sears tiller, brand new, three years ago

Guess it sure does depend on your soil. We hired a guy to come over
with a regular Troy-Bilt type tiller (just a young guy making a few
bucks on the side with his Dad's tiller). He tilled up a never before
tilled area, not very big, maybe 12 x 24 feet, for $50 and we tried
hard not to feel it was overpriced for the short time it took him (but
then he had to BRING the thing to the site too....)

A friend bought a new tiller, I set it up for her, we started it up
and tilled her garden (1st time) in about 10 minutes, so quick we were
kinda let down and went around looking for things to till up! I admit
her soil was quite sandy, that area is known for that sort of thing.

-v.