DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/49468-mold-outdoor-concrete-stairs-chlorox-vs-%22shock%22.html)

David Combs August 28th 03 05:53 AM

mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???)

mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???)

(plus aluminum siding, too)

Thanks for the suggestions for getting the mold off the
aluminum siding.

Just this afternoon, I finally got around to doing a
use-laundry-bleach test:

The Chlorox (100%) [as advised to me in
a respose to a prior post here, re mold and aluminum
siding] did indeed "pretty-much" work on that
siding, in that it lightened the mold as well as made
it fairly easily to rub-off.

The color that remained underneath looked like a mix of maybe 2/3
original-white and 1/3 ugly-grey.

(I suppose that's as good as it will get?)

----- outdoor concrete-stairs: mold stuck-HARD to them:

I also squirted that 100% laundry-bleach on some nearby shaded
outdoor-stairs made of
somewhat-rough-surfaced concrete, the result being a *total
failure* -- it wasn't the least bit easier to
scrape off the mold -- in fact I still couldn't get
*any* off.

(The roughness really gives it a grip, huh?)

----- "Pool Shock"(?) (swimming-pool chlorine):

Now, here's something interesting that I recently found
searching back to a much-earlier repair-thread, about someone needing
to clean mold from his concrete driveway.

The final suggestions he got were between using plain laundry-bleach,
vs using a special for-swimming-pools chlorine,
something they referred to as "pool shock", that came in a
powder form (to mix with water, I suppose).

("Pool Shock" -- why that name? Trademark or something?
What does it mean? And, is it called that everywhere
in the U.S., or just in some local areas?)

---- Here it is:

Mix household bleach (one gallon) with one pound of swimming
pool chlorine and 3 gallons of very hot water in a 5
gal. bucket. Stir well - use broom to coat driveway. Do this
on a hot day and let it dry. 3 hours later hose off. You'll be
very pleased with the results.

#
While I'm sure this will work, what is the purpose of mixing weak
bleach aka Clorox with strong bleach aka pool shock? Just mix
the shock in water. A 1 lb bag of shock is enough to give you
10ppm in 10-15,000 gallons so it will make a hell of a strong
brew in a 5 gallon bucket.

So, what opinion on *this* approach? Pros and cons?

----- Hey -- what about using it for the siding, too?

And -- supposing that someone here will suggest that I
use this stronger stuff on those stairs (to "shock"
away the mold?), what advice about using it on the aluminum
siding too? What chance that the result there would be
any better than what I got with the chlorox? (or any worse?)

Likewise, since I assume I'll be using a (rented)
"pressure washer"
to remove the (hopefully by-then-weakened) mold

Now, would that "shock" stuff make it any easier for a "pressure washer"
to wash off the (weakened) mold?

---- Also, what *kind* of pressure-washer to rent?

(Note: due to that large slope
(at the front of house, the yard is level with of
first-floor, but at the rear, it's an entire floor
lower, at basement level, making the 2nd floor
*three* floors up)
I'll have pressure-shoot the water up as much as 30 feet.)

(1) Gasoline, I suppose (assuming they rent out the things).

(2) What level of "psi", and what horsepower, would I need?

(and what would be the bare minimum?)

Thanks!

David

jim August 28th 03 06:59 AM

David Combs wrote:

[...]

you not gonna be able to rub concrete like you did the siding.. the
siding is smooth and the concrete has pits in it.. this is what i did to
the sidewalk(concrete) in front of my home.. it looked black and all the
scrubbing you do is not gonna help.. the mold was in the very tiny holes
in the concrete... i had a gallon container of grandules of clorine or
such that was suppose to go into the swimming pool(the kids and wife
mess with the pool, not me..) but they had gotten the gallon of stuff
wet and it was like a block of cement inside the plastic container..
wife says to throw it away.. i say no.. i took it and cut off the
plastic and then beat this block with a hammer and knocked it all down
to a grandule size like it was before.. i then hosed off the sidewalk
and then spinkled all of the stuff onto the wet sidewalk and let it sit
in the sun for about an hour or two.. i then went back with a fine mist
over it, not to wash it off, but to make sure it was all wet.......
left it like this for a few hours.... then hosed it off as i was using a
broom on the mix.... hosed it off and later found out that some of the
grass next to the concrete was turning brown(clorine will kill
vegation)... but in a few days the black on the crevices of the cement
was gone... mold is vegation and will be killed by the clorine and later
a good flushing will wash it away... hope this helps.

jmagerl August 28th 03 02:36 PM

mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???)

I used to work for the municipal swimming pool 30 yrs ago. Our method of
cleaning mold and algae off of concrete was to wet down the concrete and
sprinkle with HTH granuales (pool shock). Let sit 15 minutes, broom it, hose
off.

Take care not to splash on to foilage.

David Combs August 28th 03 04:00 PM

mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???)

In article ,
jmagerl wrote:
I used to work for the municipal swimming pool 30 yrs ago. Our method of
cleaning mold and algae off of concrete was to wet down the concrete and
sprinkle with HTH granuales (pool shock). Let sit 15 minutes, broom it, hose
off.

Take care not to splash on to foilage.

Thanks so much for these first two replies!

So, I go to a pool-supply place and buy some of those
granules.

-------- Now, to the other readers, these two remaining questions:

(1) I guess that I do *not* use the shock on the *siding* --
reading between the lines, I infer that the laundry-bleach
(eg chlorox-style gallon-bottles) is more than sufficient
for the siding.

IS THAT TRUE? IS THAT WHAT *YOU* WOULD DO?

(2) Pressure-washer: how big/powerful/psi/hp do I need to
blast the stuff up 20 or even 30 feet -- with enough
power remaining at that stream-height to blast-off
the bleach-soaked mold?

Thanks!

David

PS: I now head off to Cosco for my weekly shopping trip,
and will pick up a few gallons of bleach.

Tom J August 28th 03 04:39 PM

jmagerl wrote:
I used to work for the municipal swimming pool 30 yrs ago. Our method of
cleaning mold and algae off of concrete was to wet down the concrete and
sprinkle with HTH granuales (pool shock). Let sit 15 minutes, broom it,

hose
off.

Take care not to splash on to foilage.

Thanks so much for these first two replies!

So, I go to a pool-supply place and buy some of those
granules.

NO, you go to Wal-Mart or some other discount place, not the pool supply,
unless you have money to burn.

Tom J

Jimmy August 28th 03 06:38 PM

mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???)

Pool Shock is a very strong oxidizer. If it comes in contact with petrolium
based product it will spontaneously combust. I know someone who was severely
burned by mixing granulated pool chlorine and gasoline. She was trying to
clean oil stains from a driveway. Also #1 son mixed it with used motor oil.
Not fire but a lot of smoke in the garage. Neighbors called Fire Department.

Jim Mc Namara August 28th 03 11:17 PM

mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???)

Good point - forgot to mention. Rubber boots are best - and try not to be
sloppy! LOL!

Jim

"jmagerl" wrote in message
I might add: wear clothes you don't mind losing. if it doesn't eat thru
them, it will bleach them.

David Combs August 29th 03 04:20 PM

jmagerl wrote:
I used to work for the municipal swimming pool 30 yrs ago. Our method of
cleaning mold and algae off of concrete was to wet down the concrete and
sprinkle with HTH granuales (pool shock). Let sit 15 minutes, broom it,

hose
off.

Take care not to splash on to foilage.

Thanks so much for these first two replies!

So, I go to a pool-supply place and buy some of those
granules.

NO, you go to Wal-Mart or some other discount place, not the pool supply,
unless you have money to burn.

Tom J

I did call HD; they had no such thing.

So I went to the pool-supply place (3 short blocks from the
cosco/HD complex), and paid maybe 8 or 9 for a gallon
(liquid!) of the stuff ("shock").

For only one gallon, whatever the difference in price is,
isn't much of a deal.

More -- well, that's something else.

Thanks!

David

Stormin Mormon August 29th 03 07:34 PM

*applying* the bleach (30-feet up)

Now, please tell us why you would want to bleach your house?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Combs" wrote in message
Question: how to *apply* the bleach, even 30-feet up?

(Ladder is impossible, at least for me, due to dangerous
20 or 30 degree slope of the ground, parallel to and up
against the side of the house -- ground-level at front
of house is 1st floor, at rear is whole floor lower,
at basement level.)

The other day I was at HD, and in the paint area they
had these telescoping poles, *hugely* long (and strongly
built, too), with male screw extending from the end,
that fits into eg paint rollers, etc.

I also got two super-thick (for super-rough surfaces)
paint rollers.

Plan is to "paint", via roller, the bleach onto the siding.

Comments? Alternative ways of applying the bleach?

Thanks!

David

CBHvac August 30th 03 06:30 AM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Now, please tell us why you would want to bleach your house?

You oughta know, hack.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

EJ August 30th 03 02:03 PM

"CBHvac" wrote in message

[...]

I would be really concerned about safety. With your slope you have to get
close to the house and look up to paint. Even if you dilute your bleach way
down one drop will seriously burn your eye. Get safety goggles (not glasses)
not to let the droplets get between the glasses and your head. The expense
(not that big) and discomfort (much bigger ...) is well worth it. Eye bleach
burns heal poorly and seldom completely. Guess how I figured it out...

EJ

mark Ransley August 30th 03 04:20 PM

*applying* the bleach (30-feet up)

For a powerwasher why rent at 50 a day, buy an electric, you will find
alot of uses, mold comes back. Karcher is a good brand for around 200.
To bleach 30 ft up , hire someone bleach is slippery , get it on the
ladder and fall. Or use a garden sprayer. Shock is overkill with a
powerwasher, and to hard for siding or plants

Stormin Mormon August 31st 03 12:52 AM

*applying* the bleach (30-feet up)

One or both eyes? I hope not both!

Did you ever recover completely, and how long did it take? And how much
medical care? That sounds miserable! I'm sad to hear that you learned for
us.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

CBHvac August 31st 03 04:42 AM

*applying* the bleach (30-feet up)

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
It is possible to tell the true character of a man by how he treats others
around him.

It sure is. We asked you time and time again to remove that sig line in the
other group, as it offended many people that do no believe God lives on a
Planet...and dont have to wear temple garments...did you? No..you replied
with sarcastic and smartass answers...
Now, the more **** we give you, the more you try to fit in. I can at least
give you credit for growing nuts......unless...wait....no..nevermind..that
was the other bunch of Mormons that did that....

Look..you give bad advice...period.

You claim to be a HVAC pro, and you are so far from that its pathetic. The
trade is self policing, and you are guilty of a hack.

You claim to want to learn, but refuse to follow advice.

You claim that you have done some pretty damn amazing things with AC units,
yet, what you state is impossible at times.....

No Chris...I tried to like you..I posted 8k of stuff in the other group one
time to try to get you to listen and understand...you chose to reply with
some **** about how you regret that you wont see my posts
anymore...boo****inhoo.

You are a hack. Period. You hold no licence in your state of NY. I know its
not needed....but you COULD hold some other trade designation...but no..you
know a little about everything, and all about nothing. You refuse to listen
to those you want to call your peers...and then, when only ONE person in the
other group takes your side, you act like you belong.
You sir, are as bad as those you try to put down....if not worse. At least,
I have no problem telling you EXACTLY how I feel....nor would I have a
problem if we all got together and you showed up. I would tell you the same
thing, only it would be followed with show the old man to the door.

You are bad for the trade. Period.
I would rather be known as a jackass, but a fair jackass that knows his job,
than some softy that is dirt cheap, cant fix ****, and then cries that hes
going solo, but does not have a clue after 2 years as an installer
monkey...and is STILL looking for a job.

You want to know how to make money? LEARN WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING!!!!!

--

Offensive sig line snipped.

.
.

David Combs September 2nd 03 06:53 AM

RamblinOn wrote:

David Combs wrote:

mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???)

(plus aluminum siding, too)

Thanks for the suggestions for getting the mold off the
aluminum siding.

Just this afternoon, I finally got around to doing a
use-laundry-bleach test:

The Chlorox (100%) [as advised to me in
a respose to a prior post here, re mold and aluminum

What kind of nails are holding the siding to the house?

Don't know at this late hour; what types do you believe
*might* be used?

Let us know
when the heads rust off and the siding is flapping in the breeze :o)

Please do explain a bit -- looks like something I need to know...

Is the mold in shade of the house, or are there trees/shrubs that can be
trimmed to get more sunlight? Sometimes easier to prevent than to cure.

It's on the perpetually-shady side of the house -- I don't
think the sun *ever* hits it; and if it does, it would be
only in the early, early morning, at sun-up.

David

David Combs September 2nd 03 06:57 AM

mark Ransley wrote:
For a powerwasher why rent at 50 a day, buy an electric, you will find
alot of uses, mold comes back. Karcher is a good brand for around 200.
To bleach 30 ft up , hire someone bleach is slippery , get it on the
ladder and fall. Or use a garden sprayer. Shock is overkill with a
powerwasher, and to hard for siding or plants

Before I consider buying one, I'd like to see if
others here agree or not.

eg, what do *you* (readers) do? Finally buy your own?

And, what are the around-the-house uses for the thing,
besides getting mold off siding?

Thanks!

David

PS: and do you agree that Karcher is the brand to
get, for "nonprofessional" use.

Oh -- electric: would that have enough power, psi,
etc, to do the job?

How *much* better is a gasoline-powered one?

What do *you* use?

Thanks!

CBHvac September 2nd 03 07:42 AM

mark Ransley wrote:
[...]

I use a 3500PSI 13HP Honda powered unit...and want
more...LOL...seriously...use it around the house...really....and there are
times, you just want more.
Dual wands...controls on the handle..Not just a squeeze trigger...
Lets say...after using it, I would NEVER consider an electric one....sold
that electric jobber about a year ago for $50...thats about all it was worth
compared to about any gasser on the market.

Thanks!