DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Whirlpool Washer trips circuit breaker in spin cylce (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/49227-whirlpool-washer-trips-circuit-breaker-spin-cylce.html)

Mike August 23rd 03 05:42 PM

Whirlpool Washer trips circuit breaker in spin cylce

When our 19 year old washer goes into the spin cycle with a full load
it trips the panel circuit breaker. With half loads it will generally
work okay. Any ideas as to the cause. I suspect a motor problem.
Any other ideas?

John August 23rd 03 05:58 PM

Whirlpool Washer trips circuit breaker in spin cylce

If the breaker is of the same vintage, it could be a weak breaker. Can you
try plugging the washer into an outlet on a different circuit?

If you need to use an extension cord to do so, make sure it is a heavy duty
cord (14 gauge prefereble) and as short as possible.

The other easy possibility is something else sharing the same circuit
causing an overload?

--
John Warner
m...

jim August 23rd 03 07:29 PM

John wrote:

If the breaker is of the same vintage, it could be a weak breaker. Can you
try plugging the washer into an outlet on a different circuit?

If you need to use an extension cord to do so, make sure it is a heavy duty
cord (14 gauge prefereble) and as short as possible.

The other easy possibility is something else sharing the same circuit
causing an overload?

--
John Warner
"Mike" wrote in message
m...
When our 19 year old washer goes into the spin cycle with a full load
it trips the panel circuit breaker. With half loads it will generally
work okay. Any ideas as to the cause. I suspect a motor problem.
Any other ideas?

also make sure you plug it into a 20 amp. line.....

meirman August 24th 03 06:35 AM

Whirlpool Washer trips circuit breaker in spin cylce

In alt.home.repair on 23 Aug 2003 09:42:31 -0700
(Mike) posted:

When our 19 year old washer goes into the spin cycle with a full load
it trips the panel circuit breaker. With half loads it will generally
work okay. Any ideas as to the cause. I suspect a motor problem.
Any other ideas?

I don't even know if washers have them, but if they have a capacitor
(condenser) in parallel with the motor, I'd suspect that before the
motor itself. Some can mounted on the motor, maybe. I probably
looked but I forget.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.