Max Voltaire

Default Books on wire fishing techniques and wiremold

Hi,

Are there any good books that could help me rewire a house? Most books
spend all their time talking about new work and only dedicate one page
or so to fishing techniques. That's not good enough, and to complicate
things further, I don't have an attic to help me fish wires on the
second floor (the roof is flat).

Having it done by pros is expensive but I could spend my next vacation
time doing it myself. But how do pros pull this off when there is no
attic? The second floor is a rental and every circuit must start at a
panel in the kitchen, so the cable has to travel from the kitchen to
every room. Is cutting a trench in the walls throughout the whole
appartment the only way?

I've seen that wiremold could be an interesting way to carry the wires
throughout the house, but it seems to be expensive when you need a
lot, and
it doesn't look nice. But never minding the look, has anyone here had
any experience with this?

Thank you
MSH

Electricians routinely cut the drywall. Yesterday I was in an electricians
house who was doing a remodel and he had cut "trenches" all around the room.
I guess he considered drywall work easier than crawling around his attic.

M Hamlin

"Max Voltaire" wrote in message
om...

Having it done by pros is expensive but I could spend my next vacation
time doing it myself. But how do pros pull this off when there is no
attic? The second floor is a rental and every circuit must start at a
panel in the kitchen, so the cable has to travel from the kitchen to
every room. Is cutting a trench in the walls throughout the whole
appartment the only way?

Chuck

This site has some neat tips on running wires inside walls. It is primarily
aimed toward low voltage alarm wiring, but you may find the information
helpful.

http://securityconsultant.hypermart.net/Tips-Tricks/

[...]

Joe Bobst

I've seen that wiremold could be an interesting way to carry the wires
throughout the house, but it seems to be expensive when you need a lot, and it
doesn't look nice. But never minding the look, has anyone here had any
experience with this?

I've used Wiremold many times in older houses, and as for looks, it is a
subjective thing. In older houses, with reasonable placement of the conduit it
tends to look OK, I think. Newer houses, though are better served with
trenching out the stud crossings and installing guards over the wires before
patching the drywall.
Check out the Wiremold web site (www.wiremold.com) for more info or call
1-800-621-0049 to request a Buyers Guide. FWIW, the stuff is easy to work with,
and is even available at some box stores with a decent selection of bits and
pieces.
HTH

Joe

John Grabowski

Here is a good way to cut holes that makes it easy to patch them again:
http://www.wd40jobsite.com/secret_de...748&c=1&q=&s=1

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

[...]

Max Voltaire

Here is a good way to cut holes that makes it easy to patch them again:
http://www.wd40jobsite.com/secret_de...748&c=1&q=&s=1

Well John, thank you very much for that tip, it's a really great idea!
I won't forget to apply it next time I have to make an access hole.

Max
Max Voltaire

Electricians routinely cut the drywall. Yesterday I was in an electricians
house who was doing a remodel and he had cut "trenches" all around the room.
I guess he considered drywall work easier than crawling around his attic.

It might be quicker but it's probably messy as hell for people like me
who never did it before. But I think trenches will do a better long
term job than wiremold.

Thanks for the reply.