Jill

Default Grout cracking

The grout aroudn the tile in the shower/tub stall is cracking. The bottom
parts are worse, and there are hairline cracks about half way up. We moved
into this house in December, and there was no cracking then.

There us one small bit where the grout fell off, and the crack was filled
with silicone beneath.

When we moved it, we found grout patch and silicone in a box. I wonder if
there was damage that they just covered up.

What is my next step? Do I need to pull down the tiles?

~ Jill

Patch

"Jill" wrote in message
The grout aroudn the tile in the shower/tub stall is cracking. The bottom
parts are worse, and there are hairline cracks about half way up. We

moved
into this house in December, and there was no cracking then.

There us one small bit where the grout fell off, and the crack was filled
with silicone beneath.

When we moved it, we found grout patch and silicone in a box. I wonder if
there was damage that they just covered up.

What is my next step? Do I need to pull down the tiles?

~ Jill

You probably need to re-grout it. They make a tool that scratches out the

old grout so you can re-apply new. You don't need to remove any tiles. It's
not too difficult. The most important part is to seal the new grout. Visit
your local Home Depot or similar place, they can tell you how to do it.

Dave Solly

"Jill" wrote in
:

"Patch" wrote in message

"Jill" wrote in message
[...]

That's better news than what I expected. I thought that if the grout
was cracking, that water would damage the wall.

~ Jill

It will. We just had to have our shower torn out. 18 year old grout was
letting water get past it, and water soaked carpet in closet behind
shower got mildewed. I apparently was happening for some time..

If the wall behind the tile is damaged, then the only thing to do is pull
it all out and re-do.

Tom J

"Jill" wrote in message
The grout aroudn the tile in the shower/tub stall is cracking. The bottom
parts are worse, and there are hairline cracks about half way up. We moved
into this house in December, and there was no cracking then.

There us one small bit where the grout fell off, and the crack was filled
with silicone beneath.

When we moved it, we found grout patch and silicone in a box. I wonder if
there was damage that they just covered up.

What is my next step? Do I need to pull down the tiles?

In spite of what some told you, you have a major problem. If the joints were
solid 8 months ago and now they are cracked open everywhere, and on top of
that you discovered silicone in one of the joints that came loose, my bet is
the support behind the tile is wet - maybe rotted, and another patch will be
just that - a patch.

Tom J

Jill

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Jill" wrote in message
[...]

Dang. I think this is the first time I wished we had more than one
bathroom. This will be a project that needs to take 3 days, max. I have no
idea where to start. I thought the tiles looked nice, but I think I'll
look into getting one of those plastic solid piece tub/wall things......and
I'll have to hire someone to do it. It is beyond my know how.

~ Jill

Jill

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
Are the tiles loose? If not, then there probably isn't water damage.

Grout
doesn't "take" well if you do a half-way job of scraping out the old loose
grout. You have to scrape it all out and clean the loose stuff up before
putting in new grout. Then you need to let it cure - or it starts cracking
again. I would scrape out the old stuff and put in new grout before going

the extremes of putting in a new tub surround.

Dorothy

No, they don't seem to be loose at all. I suppose I can remove the grout
and see if anything icky turns up.....

~ Jill

Mike Cain

Jill,
While your removing grout it would be a good time to pull just one or two
of the tiles and check for water damage. The worst areas are usually the
front end of the side wall at the lower levels. If there is damage... you
will notice once a single tile is removed other come off easily!
Good luck! Mike

"Jill" wrote in message
"Dorot29701" wrote in message
Are the tiles loose? If not, then there probably isn't water damage.

Grout
doesn't "take" well if you do a half-way job of scraping out the old

loose
grout. You have to scrape it all out and clean the loose stuff up

before
putting in new grout. Then you need to let it cure - or it starts

cracking
again. I would scrape out the old stuff and put in new grout before

going
the extremes of putting in a new tub surround.

Dorothy

No, they don't seem to be loose at all. I suppose I can remove the grout
and see if anything icky turns up.....

~ Jill

Art Begun

I have a different opinion.

The last time I did what everyone suggested.... scratch out all grout
and put fresh in and seal it. But in a less than a year, it started
looking bad again. Next time I will just keep touching it up until I
replace all the tile with a solid surface.

"Jill" wrote in message
"Dorot29701" wrote in message
Are the tiles loose? If not, then there probably isn't water

damage.
Grout
doesn't "take" well if you do a half-way job of scraping out the

old loose
grout. You have to scrape it all out and clean the loose stuff up

before
putting in new grout. Then you need to let it cure - or it starts

cracking
again. I would scrape out the old stuff and put in new grout

before going
the extremes of putting in a new tub surround.

Dorothy

No, they don't seem to be loose at all. I suppose I can remove the

grout
and see if anything icky turns up.....

~ Jill

Jill

"Art Begun" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a different opinion.

The last time I did what everyone suggested.... scratch out all grout
and put fresh in and seal it. But in a less than a year, it started
looking bad again. Next time I will just keep touching it up until I
replace all the tile with a solid surface.

Good point. Perhaps I can remove a bit to check for damage and if there is
none, just patch it up until I can get a new solid shower/tub.

~ Jill

Tom J

"Jill" wrote in message
"Art Begun" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a different opinion.

The last time I did what everyone suggested.... scratch out all grout
and put fresh in and seal it. But in a less than a year, it started
looking bad again. Next time I will just keep touching it up until I
replace all the tile with a solid surface.

Good point. Perhaps I can remove a bit to check for damage and if there is
none, just patch it up until I can get a new solid shower/tub.

If you are going to try to repair and live with what you have, get one of the
grout remover tools that looks like a scraper except the blade is straight in
line with the handle, and the blade has carbide or diamond grit on the edge
depending on cost. There should only be caulking (silicone) around where the
tile meets the tub and up the corners. Where you have the caulk in the other
tile joints, work on those especially well to get all traces of the silicone
caulk out of the joint. Grout will not stick to the tile if not cleaned
really good and to the depth of the tile.

Good Luck
Tom J

Jill

Thank you for the tips, Tom.

~ Jill

Jill

Thank you for the tips, Tom.

~ Jill

Jill

"Ann G" wrote in message
Jill wrote:

"Ann G" wrote in message
There's quite possibly movement in the framing members which is
telegraphing though the substrate. What is the substrate anyway?
Drywall, mortar, tile backerboard?

Regardless of good re-grouting advice, until you find out the cause

and
remedy it, you will be applying a mere bandaid to the problem.

Ack, big words. lol
I think it's drywall, since that's what the rest of walls are.

~ Jill

Drywall is not an acceptable substrate for ceramic tile in wet areas.
Turns to mush if water gets to it.
http://www.constructiondefects.com/cd_shower.asp

I won't know for sure unless I tear it down and look. I must be wrong in my
guess.

~ Jill

Jill

Not necessarly. When our house was built, code said you could put drywall
in a shower. It has since changed. When we had our problem, I was shocked
how soaked the dry wall was, and how easy the tile pulled away from it.
We put cement board up this time.

Dave

The house was built in the late 1960's.

~ Jill