DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   flat gravel roof - how to repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/48912-flat-gravel-roof-how-repair.html)

adiel August 18th 03 07:30 PM

flat gravel roof - how to repair

Hello, I have an existing gravel roof that I want to repair. There is
a big area that is flat. I just got a quote from a roofer to repair
the whole roof where he would lay two coats of fiberglass membrane
with hot tar and then a granule surfaced roofing sheet to protect the
roof. He would guarantee this job for 10 years. My question is if
instead of doing that, I can just remove all the gravel myself (since
it is VERY loose) and then just coat the entire roof with one of those
elastomeric roof coatings like this one:

http://www.koolseal.com

And not worry about the roof for a good 10 years. Does anyone have
any suggestions if this would be a good idea? Or if I was to hire a
roofing contractor, what would be the best choice to repair and roof
that has a big area that is flat?

Thanks before hand,
Adiel

mark Ransley August 18th 03 07:48 PM

flat gravel roof - how to repair

look into a rubber roof, I beleive you will see alot longer life

mark Ransley August 18th 03 07:48 PM

adiel August 20th 03 01:26 AM

flat gravel roof - how to repair

Thanks for your reply. I actually got a comment from someone who
talked to a local roof inspector. They said that even though these
new rubber roofs are guaranteed for up to 20 years, he says that in
his opinion a tar roof that is well built will last longer than the
new rubber roofs.

Any comments on this anyone?

Thanks,
Adiel

adiel August 21st 03 02:53 PM

flat gravel roof - how to repair

Any comments on this anyone? Also does anyone have other
recommendations for fixing a flat roof (besides a new pitched roof
because its out of my budget)? :)

Thanks,
Adiel