Harmony Seldon

Default Fridge as a freezer?

John Marples wrote:
I've got an old, small fridge, with a small freezer in it. When I set
the temperature to coldest, the entire fridge drops to about -18C
(0F). Will it damage the fridge, or cause problems if I use it as a
freezer?

JM

'
I had one like that and it was the best fridge I ever had.
'
I could put a case of beer in and within a few hours every
bottle would be so cold it had ice crystals in it.
'
It was great for summer beer parties.
'

John Marples wrote:

I've got an old, small fridge, with a small freezer in it. When I set
the temperature to coldest, the entire fridge drops to about -18C (0F).
Will it damage the fridge, or cause problems if I use it as a freezer?

JM

we bought a new refrigerator, one of those side by sides... the old
refrigerator went into the garage and is full of softdrinks from top to
bottom... set it cold and have ice cold drinks.. well we put some ice
cream in the freezer part and it was kinda mushy (the icecream) looked
in the book for the old one and it said that if you want the freezer or
refrigerator part colder/warmer you adjust this knob(the one that just
controls a plastic wand inside the back of the appliance that diverts
the flow of air from the freezeer to the refrigerator section.. that is
probably what you have done.... the air from the freezer part is going
to the refrigerator section... it works if that is what you want.....

Ian Stirling

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Defrosting a freezer with sharp object almost guarantees needing a
refrigerator guy to come out and patch it, and put in new freon. Steak
knives and Buck knives are near guarantees to need the repairman to come
out.

Best defrost tip is to spray the freezer walls with cooking spray Pam (R) or
equivilant. When you defrost properly (hot water, or hair dryer) after a
while the ice loosens up and you can pry it off the freezer wall.

Best way I've found of defrosting utterly safely is to take a big fan, remove
all stuff from fridge.
Arrange pan/... to catch drops.
Now simply put the fan almost inside the fridge blowing onto the opened
door of the freezer compartment.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Windows 2000, software for next millenia. latin pun alert - Ian Stirling.

Dan O.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Defrosting a freezer with sharp object almost guarantees
needing a refrigerator guy to come out and patch it, and
put in new freon. Steak knives and Buck knives are near
guarantees to need the repairman to come out.

Nowadays such a repair is hardly worth it because it usually costs at least
$150+ (if reparable at all)!!!

If plugged after such damage has been done (even for a minute!!), it will
likely be beyond economical repair since moisture will get sucked into the
refrigeration system contaminating it (and the compressor oil too).

Ian Stirling wrote in message ...

Best way I've found of defrosting utterly safely is to take a
big fan, remove all stuff from fridge. Arrange pan/... to catch
drops. Now simply put the fan almost inside the fridge
blowing onto the opened door of the freezer compartment.

In my apartment when I had a manual defrost fridge (rare nowadays) I used to
leave all the food in the fridge but unplug it at night and leave the doors
closed. (make sure to have the defrost tray in the correct position).

In the morning dump the tray of melted defrost water and pick off any loose
slabs of ice from the evaporator (freezer box). Reinstall the drip tray and
leave the fridge unplugged for the rest of the day and repeat when I got
home from work. By that time all the ice which was on the evaporator and not
melted was able to be picked off easily in slabs.

The food inside the fridge stays cool because as the frost/ice melts it
absorbs the heat of the previsions still inside the cabinet.

Of course, the real trick is to defrost it when the frost build-up is no
more than about 1/4" think. Many models had a 1/4" red plug on the
evaporator which when it couldn't be seen any longer meant it was time to
defrost it.

BTW. If the freezer box is frosted over more than that, it won't be able to
cool very well and will consume more power to do it.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com