DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Finding drain pipe under a concrete slab (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/48484-re-finding-drain-pipe-under-concrete-slab.html)

mark Ransley August 10th 03 04:29 PM

Finding drain pipe under a concrete slab

That is something your water co should be able to help with, my water
co has a map of my drain. So if you have a leak your sump pump handles
it?

lewisconva August 10th 03 04:38 PM

Finding drain pipe under a concrete slab

Subject: Finding drain pipe under a concrete slab
From: "Leon"
Date: 8/10/03 11:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time

I need to put a drain for a washing machine in my basement. I suspect there
is a drain pipe under the concrete slab in the general area. My challenge is
how to find it without cutting up the concrete slab in half of the basement.
Is there a device similar to stud finders that one would get?

Its called a metal detector, works well, try your local PH book
Terry

Lewis Contracting

mark Ransley August 10th 03 04:49 PM

Finding drain pipe under a concrete slab

A metal detector does not work on pvc or tile drain pipe

Speedy Jim August 10th 03 05:14 PM

Leon wrote:

I need to put a drain for a washing machine in my basement. I suspect there
is a drain pipe under the concrete slab in the general area. My challenge is
how to find it without cutting up the concrete slab in half of the basement.
Is there a device similar to stud finders that one would get?

As noted, metal detectors aren't much good on PVC/clay pipe.

You can run a sewer snake thru and *maybe* detect the snake.
Or, run the snake and listen on the slab.

An old pro can walk on a slab and "hear" where the buried pipe is.

Jim

lewisconva August 10th 03 05:17 PM

Finding drain pipe under a concrete slab

Most building codes call for metal drains under concrete slabs because of the
weight, it will crush PVC or Tile
Terry
Lewis Contracting.

Dan G August 10th 03 06:17 PM

Finding drain pipe under a concrete slab

Good building practice will often use cast iron under the load bearing
part of the structure (the footing). It woud be unusual here to use
cast iron under slab on residential work and has been for well over 20
years.

As to finding an under slab line, contact a plumbing company that has a
SeeSnake with the locator accessory. It is a sewer line camera that the
locator can follow. There are other locators such as SubSite (by
DitchWitch) that can follow a beacon. They can usually also work
following a signal induced on a sewer maching cable.

You can sometimes get fairly close by following clues given by givens
such as clean outs, vent stacks, floor drains.

Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G

indago August 10th 03 07:51 PM

030810 1103 - Leon wrote:

I need to put a drain for a washing machine in my basement. I suspect there
is a drain pipe under the concrete slab in the general area. My challenge is
how to find it without cutting up the concrete slab in half of the basement.
Is there a device similar to stud finders that one would get?

A couple of coat hangers work pretty good. I've used them many times.

indago August 10th 03 10:48 PM

030810 1642 - TOM KAN PA wrote:

A couple of coat hangers work pretty good. I've used them many times.

____Reply Separator_____

How about a willow twig?

I've never used a willow twig.