ississauga

Default Drywall tapered edge should be on inside or outside corner?

I am hanging drywall and putting metal corner beads on outside corners
and paper ones on the inside ones. Since its usually not possible to
have tapered sides on both types of corners, which type of corners
should have tapered edges? or is there some mix?
Joseph Meehan

I would tend to choose the tapered end to the outside.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I am hanging drywall and putting metal corner beads on outside corners
and paper ones on the inside ones. Since its usually not possible to
have tapered sides on both types of corners, which type of corners
should have tapered edges? or is there some mix?

John W. Wells

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:13:56 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

I would tend to choose the tapered end to the outside.

Why? The metal outside corner edging he's installing protrudes beyond
the planes of the intersecting walls. So no taper of the board is
necessary there--running the knife along that metal edge and each wall
gives an easy and automatic feathering the width of the knife!

And tapers on an inside corner will help to 'bury' the tape, no?

--JWW

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

And kindly explain your Irish math--not being Irish I just don't get
it!

Michael Shields

In article ,
"TrailShredder" wrote:
I am planning on drywalling my basement and the ceiling ht is 8'-6". How
would you drywall that running seams horizontal?

54" wide drywall is available, for exactly this purpose.
--
Shields.

jim

ississauga wrote:

I am hanging drywall and putting metal corner beads on outside corners
and paper ones on the inside ones. Since its usually not possible to
have tapered sides on both types of corners, which type of corners
should have tapered edges? or is there some mix?

make sure you use enough mud when doing corners that is the major cause
of failure.. people think that it it the tape that stops the cracks,
buts it is the lack of mud behind the tape that causes the cracks....

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:08:17 -0400, someone wrote:

I am planning on drywalling my basement and the ceiling ht is 8'-6". How
would you drywall that running seams horizontal?

I've seen it done with a little strip half way up, taped as one wide
joint. But I didn't like what I saw. (I didn't do it.)
-v.

Amos

'nuther Bob wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:27:05 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

It can be done either way, but I find that It seems to work better with
the square edge in the corner. I get better (flatter) outside corners and
the inside corners don't show as much so other than structural problems I
would rather deal with the non-taper there.

I like the tapers on the outside too. That lets me get a mostly square
corner with little odd filling there. When it's time to do the
baseboard molding, chair rail, etc it fits much better. The un-square
inside corner is much easier less of an issue.

Bob

you mean for the one time you did drywall work? you spend your entire
life in usenet crossposting bad advice. when do you find time to do any
drywall work....

Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Xilikon ) said...

I am planning on drywalling my basement and the ceiling ht is 8'-6". How
would you drywall that running seams horizontal?

Best way (but with some waste) is to get 4x10 sheets and trim them to the
right height then install them vertically.

If you do go with hanging vertically, you can get 4x9 sheets which would
have less waste.

We have an ICF foundation (insulated concrete form) with 9' high walls
and must cover with drywall, so I'm thinking about going vertical with
9' sheets for the basement.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

jeffc

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I am hanging drywall and putting metal corner beads on outside corners
and paper ones on the inside ones. Since its usually not possible to
have tapered sides on both types of corners, which type of corners
should have tapered edges? or is there some mix?

Normally, tapered edges on corners don't help you as much as they help in
the middle of the wall. You only get tapered edges on corners if you hang
the drywall vertically. In most applications, it's better to hang
horizontally. It usually reduces the overall total length of joints you
must seam.

jeffc

"TrailShredder" wrote in message
I am planning on drywalling my basement and the ceiling ht is 8'-6". How
would you drywall that running seams horizontal?

They make 4 1/2' wide drywall for that purpose (normally, for 9' ceilings).

Joseph Meehan

You are correct generally. You also reminded me of one suggestion I
should have made. Don't mix tapered and square edges on the same side of
the same corner.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math