DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   finishing kitchen countertop (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/47597-finishing-kitchen-countertop.html)

[email protected] July 24th 03 11:32 PM

finishing kitchen countertop

Hi there,

I've finished my new kitchen countertop using 12x12 tiles over
hardibacker and plywood. I didn't think of one issue though: I have a
slide-in range, and you can clearly see the edges of my countertop on
either side of the range. ie you can see the layers of ply,hardi,
thinset and tile.

What kinds of things can I do to help this edge look nice? About the
only somewhat reasonable idea I can think of is to smooth out the
edges as best possible and glue on some laminate.

thanks

Amos July 24th 03 11:37 PM

wrote:

Hi there,

I've finished my new kitchen countertop using 12x12 tiles over
hardibacker and plywood. I didn't think of one issue though: I have a
slide-in range, and you can clearly see the edges of my countertop on
either side of the range. ie you can see the layers of ply,hardi,
thinset and tile.

What kinds of things can I do to help this edge look nice? About the
only somewhat reasonable idea I can think of is to smooth out the
edges as best possible and glue on some laminate.

thanks

how'd you finish the other edges? do the same.

Amos July 24th 03 11:54 PM

wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:37:36 GMT, Amos wrote:

wrote:

Hi there,

I've finished my new kitchen countertop using 12x12 tiles over
hardibacker and plywood. I didn't think of one issue though: I have a
slide-in range, and you can clearly see the edges of my countertop on
either side of the range. ie you can see the layers of ply,hardi,
thinset and tile.

What kinds of things can I do to help this edge look nice? About the
only somewhat reasonable idea I can think of is to smooth out the
edges as best possible and glue on some laminate.

thanks

how'd you finish the other edges? do the same.

the problem is that I have a 30" space in the base cabinets for a 30"
range. The front edge was finshed with a slightly rounded tile, which
sticks out perhaps 1/2". I have only about 1/8 to 1/4" space on each
side of the range. A bit of space is needed for moving the range in
and out for maintainance.

Bout all you can do now is use a thin layer of something. Or perhaps
check with an appliance dealer for some type of trim to fill that crack.
Can you raise the range some? Might help hide a little.

JP July 25th 03 12:19 AM

Amos wrote:
wrote:
Can you raise the range some? Might help hide a little.

We have a winner!

JP July 25th 03 12:19 AM

Tom J July 25th 03 12:24 AM

wrote in message
Hi there,

I've finished my new kitchen countertop using 12x12 tiles over
hardibacker and plywood. I didn't think of one issue though: I have a
slide-in range, and you can clearly see the edges of my countertop on
either side of the range. ie you can see the layers of ply,hardi,
thinset and tile.

What kinds of things can I do to help this edge look nice? About the
only somewhat reasonable idea I can think of is to smooth out the
edges as best possible and glue on some laminate.

Your solution is very simple. Measure the distance from the top of the stove
top to the top of the new counter top. Cut two strips of wood 1/4 inch
thicker than that measurement and the length it will take to reach from the
front feet on the stove to past where the rear feet on the stove go. Stick
down to the floor with adhesive (Liquid Nails)where the feet on the stove will
sit on top of them when you slide it back into place.

Tom J

Mike Columbo July 25th 03 02:52 AM

finishing kitchen countertop

"Tom J" wrote

snipped

"It is the mark of an uneducated mind
to be able to entertain a thought and accept it".

M.C.
somewhere in Wa.

Dorot29701 July 25th 03 11:54 PM

finishing kitchen countertop

I had that problem - and was sent to Home Depot. I don't remember what it is
called but they have a long piece of aluminum that have magnets on the
underside - they fit between the countertop and stove...you will need one for
each side. Just tell the clerks in the appliance department what you want and
they will know what you mean. There is a gap betwen my counter top and stove -
and the countertop isn't finished either. (The actual piece is a flat piece of
aluminum on top and another piece of aluminum that goes down the middle on the
underside - with magnets on one side for holding it close to the stove)

Dorothy