DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to install Storm Doors? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/47519-re-how-install-storm-doors.html)

Jerry Levine July 23rd 03 06:34 PM

How to install Storm Doors?

I just finished installing a Pella door for my son-in-law that he bought at
Lowe's in NC. It's not rocket science. 99% common sense. Read the
instructions thoroughly before doing and it's best to have someone helping
you. The first door is going to take several hours, the others less
wrote in message
I'm going to buy three new storm doors or maybe security type doors. Two
back doors and one front door.
I will price both at Home Depot and Lowes. Is this a job that I'm going
to be able to do myself with the help of a friend, or is this something
a carpenter has to do? Does it take any special tools? I have the basic
hand tools.
Thanks Margo

Phisherman July 23rd 03 08:31 PM

How to install Storm Doors?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:26:36 GMT, wrote:

I'm going to buy three new storm doors or maybe security type doors. Two
back doors and one front door.
I will price both at Home Depot and Lowes. Is this a job that I'm going
to be able to do myself with the help of a friend, or is this something
a carpenter has to do? Does it take any special tools? I have the basic
hand tools.
Thanks Margo

I installed two "Forever" storm doors purchased from HD. It was
fairly easy to do. You'll need a screw driver, hack saw, awl, maybe
some caulk. It helps to have a friend to help position the door while
the other person fastens the frame. Take your time and follow the
instructions carefully.

Jim Nitz July 23rd 03 08:40 PM

How to install Storm Doors?

wrote in message
I'm going to buy three new storm doors or maybe security type doors.

Two
back doors and one front door.
I will price both at Home Depot and Lowes. Is this a job that I'm

going
to be able to do myself with the help of a friend, or is this

something
a carpenter has to do? Does it take any special tools? I have the

basic
hand tools.
Thanks Margo

One word of caution, and this depends on the door you buy. Some of
those wood core doors are now only 3/4" of an inch thick. If the ones
you purchase are like this, make sure you get the frame hinge screws in
straight, or you will find them coming out the back/front of door skin.
Seen this before.

Jerry Levine July 23rd 03 08:46 PM

How to install Storm Doors?

The door is the right size but the side pieces are usually about 1 inch
longer. You have to measure the height at each side and cut that frame piece
to the exact size. Sounds complicated but it isn't. You'll see what I mean
when you open the package and hold the side pieces to the frame of the door.
wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:31:07 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:26:36 GMT, wrote:

I'm going to buy three new storm doors or maybe security type doors. Two
back doors and one front door.
I will price both at Home Depot and Lowes. Is this a job that I'm going
to be able to do myself with the help of a friend, or is this something
a carpenter has to do? Does it take any special tools? I have the basic
hand tools.
Thanks Margo

I installed two "Forever" storm doors purchased from HD. It was
fairly easy to do. You'll need a screw driver, hack saw, awl, maybe
some caulk. It helps to have a friend to help position the door while
the other person fastens the frame. Take your time and follow the
instructions carefully.

Thanks to both of you. I have a hack saw, but I thought the doors were
the right size when you bought them, and I don't have a clue what a awl
is. I guess I can get one at the hardware store.

Phisherman July 23rd 03 09:41 PM

How to install Storm Doors?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:38:51 GMT, wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:31:07 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:26:36 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

Don't worry about the awl. You can use a nail and a small hammer to
make a dimple for a starting screw hole. Or, you may need a drill and
bit to make pilot holes.

RainMan July 23rd 03 09:45 PM

How to install Storm Doors?

Another word of caution - make sure your door frame is square and plumb.
Your storm door won't close and latch smoothly if it has any twist.

Amos July 29th 03 04:15 PM

How to install Storm Doors?

Trent© wrote:

Good job, Margo. Ya got a good quality door.

And buying just one...for a starter...was a good idea.

Have a nice week...

Trent

You're gay aren't you?

Arra Movsesien July 29th 03 05:00 PM