DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Installing Parkay Flooring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/47514-re-installing-parkay-flooring.html)

JTM July 23rd 03 03:49 PM

Installing Parkay Flooring

"Bill Harbour" wrote in message
om...
I'm planning on installing self-adhesive Parkay flooring onto
concrete. The concrete is unfinished, as much as I can tell, and is
in our living room. We removed the carpet and backing. The Parkay
flooring has its own foam backing attached. My question is...will I
have to put some kind of a vapor barrier on top of the concrete before
I proceed with the installation of the Parkay flooring?

I have accidentally dropped margarine on the floor and I can attest to the fact
that it is much too slippery to walk on.

On installing parquet flooring per
http://18004654533.com/Howto/ParquetSquares.asp:

:"It is not a good idea to set parquet directly onto a concrete subfloor since
the concrete is prone to moisture. We recommend an underlayment over the
concrete, unless you know from experience that the concrete slab remains
completely dry throughout the year. Underlayment is really a job for a
professional; sleeper blocks have to be set to support the underlayment and this
often takes specialized equipment too expensive for a 1-time job that you do."

Regards,

John

Larry Caldwell July 23rd 03 06:32 PM

(Bill Harbour) writes:

I'm planning on installing self-adhesive Parkay flooring onto
concrete. The concrete is unfinished, as much as I can tell, and is
in our living room. We removed the carpet and backing. The Parkay
flooring has its own foam backing attached. My question is...will I
have to put some kind of a vapor barrier on top of the concrete before
I proceed with the installation of the Parkay flooring?

Assuming you want to install parquet flooring, not margarine here. If
your floor is dry and sound (no spalling or chalking), go for it. If the
carpet pad didn't draw moisture, the parquet flooring won't either.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc