Paul Oman

Default static in phone line

My telephone line (one of three) has plenty of static in it
(which comes and goes even during a phone call, but mostly
it just comes and stays). I know it is inside the house as
when I test it at the outside box it is clear and crisp.
Have disconnected all the phones, modems, etc. and then
plugged them in and tested one by one. Still static. Wiring
in this old house is a real rats nest. Expect I will have to
'rewire' the house. Any ideas on the static first?

thanks

paul

Phil Munro

If it's an old house like mine, here's a thought. We have a ceramic
gizmo at the beginning of the telephone inside wiring which is/was, I
think, a lightning arrestor of some sort. It has a center round thing
which can be unscrewed and a piece (or two) of carbon with a narrow gap
to ground. The phone lines connect to this, with another wire running
to ground. (Ok, this is all by memory, and it has been a long time
since I looked at it.)
Years ago a phone person solved our static problem by gently filing
the carbon to clean the gap.
It is not likely that you have a wiring problem, even though you may
have lots of old wiring. On the other hand, if the wiring is wet, if
you have bad connections, or if you have some wires touching, that might
give you some trouble -- but those are not likely things.

Paul Oman wrote:

My telephone line (one of three) has plenty of static in it
(which comes and goes even during a phone call, but mostly
it just comes and stays). I know it is inside the house as
when I test it at the outside box it is clear and crisp.
Have disconnected all the phones, modems, etc. and then
plugged them in and tested one by one. Still static. Wiring
in this old house is a real rats nest. Expect I will have to
'rewire' the house. Any ideas on the static first?

thanks

paul

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

John_B

The static problem at my house happened during wet rainy weather and
disappeared during droughts. The fix was to replace the line from
the pole to the house where a tree limb had rubbed off the
waterproof coating, thus allowing water into the wires and making
static.