DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Violent Electric Drill Accident (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/47280-re-violent-electric-drill-accident.html)

edfan July 22nd 03 06:18 PM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

Every time someone says, "It's not the money, it's the principle of
the thing and I wanna protect others," I think: it's the money.

NOBODY should have long hair flying all over a rotating tool.

(Cowa Bungie) wrote in message . com...
"RamblinOn" wrote in message

But lots of bright people do dumb stuff, just once :o) Safety glasses -
how often do people really use them around power tools. In a factory I
worked in at one time, they used to publicize events where the glasses
prevented injuries. Have seen them break but still vastly reduce or
stop injury. Wear jewelry around machinery? How many people take off
wedding bands before running power equipment or working on the car?
I've seen the people who teach safety get hurt because they had just
one lapse. And then there are those who tempt fate and take their beer
while they are working to make it more "fun", like repairing the roof on
a really hot day and the beer goes down so well :o) Then there is the
stuff I never thought of, like making sure the drill is OFF when I plug
it in :o) while it is about an inch from my face due to the plug being
hard to access. The OP did a favor by showing how bad one little
mistake can be. I hope his friend recovers completely.

For some reason, my server didn't pick up this response, only when it
was cited. First, thanks for the nonjudgmental-ism. You're
absolutely right, of course, and I'm sure even Jesus Christ had an off
day. (Not a sinful day, just an off day.) It's called being human.

The biggest supporter my relative has had to date is a representative
from our state's attorney general's office, who stressed how close to
fatal this accident was. My relative wants to sue not because she's
litigious or money-hungry. She now has to live with the memory of
scalping herself, and if tests on this imported drill prove that the
exposed shank is longer than what you'd find on similar but
domestically manufactured drills, than she has no worries about being
frivolous.

Robert J Rolleston December 14th 03 03:02 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

I think if she had her hair waving around the drill then it's her own
stupidity. OSHA actually requires that workers with long hair have to
have in so it don't wave around and get cought in anything. I wonder why?

edfan wrote:
Hello, what sort of rotating tool is hairproof? And why should such an
elementary safety procedure as, "Tie up long hair," NOT be expected of
an adult who operates power tools?

There's nothing to sue over, the whosits caused her own injury.
Foolish attempts to blame others for stupid moves by the operator
causes a whole lotta problems for every tool users, not just stupid
ones.

(Cowa Bungie) wrote in message . com...

God I hope I don't get flip answers to this one. Too much heartache
tonight. I'm posting to get information about a drill purchased at a
travelling power tools show. The drill's a Cummings 1/2" hammer
drill.

A female member of the family, more knowledgeable of all aspects of
home renovation than most of the guys, was using the drill purchased
for $19.99 to drill out one-way screws from a Kwikset deadbolt. She
tried a regular 1/4" bit, which didn't work. A nice dude from a
locksmithing company gave her a free replacement bit especially for
Kwikset that would "get rid of the screw like butter."

She must have inadvertently put the drill on lock. Then the new bit
started working and according to the story, she bored in. Her
gorgeous long hair got stuck in the chuck. To make a nightmare short,
she was working alone, the drill was "this close" to boring a hole
straight through her skull, long hair already scalped off, when she
knew it was time to do something rash. She ditched the drill knowing
it was still eating up her hair.

She's as all right now as a woman can be after having a third of her
scalp removed. Girl has long hair since she was a baby and has done
work on dead bolts for the last fifteen years, among other things, and
only sometimes used barrette and routinely used all kinds of drills.
She's never had this kind of accident with any other model.

I just want to know if it's o.k. to sell tools in the US if they
failed Underwriters or import or Food and Drug or Whatever tests. I
never personall had a problem with the drill and kind of liked it
until now. Now it's a tomahawk with her beautiful hair so thick
around the chuck I couldn't even find the keyhole.

Thanks from a really really really sad inlaw. Oh and I know about
safety glasses, safety measures, great jokes about dumb blondes.
Honest to Christ thank you in advance, I don't need any more. Just
want to know if this kid would have a claim against the company that
made her look like a ghoul from the Sixth Sense. If there's a law
permitting cut-rate jobbers to sell tools that don't meet
specifications but allowing litigation... I never wished I was a
lawyer until tonight.

Mike Dobony December 14th 03 03:34 AM

"Robert J Rolleston" wrote in message
I think if she had her hair waving around the drill then it's her own
stupidity. OSHA actually requires that workers with long hair have to
have in so it don't wave around and get cought in anything. I wonder why?

What kind of stupidity in design will we have to put up with if this act of
stupidity is blamed on the drill insted of the ignorant operator? It is
kind of like the idiot who got burned with hot coffee and blamed McDonalds
for her own stupidiy. Understand they have intelligent judges in the UK as
someone tried it there, too. The judge said something to the effect of
"Lady, you are stupid and that is not McDonald's fault. Now get out of my
courtroom and never come back unless you want to spend time in jail!"

--
Mike D.

www.stopassaultnow.org

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

j j December 14th 03 06:27 AM

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

"Robert J Rolleston" wrote in message
I think if she had her hair waving around the drill then it's her own
stupidity. OSHA actually requires that workers with long hair have to
have in so it don't wave around and get cought in anything. I wonder

why?

What kind of stupidity in design will we have to put up with if this act

of
stupidity is blamed on the drill insted of the ignorant operator? It is
kind of like the idiot who got burned with hot coffee and blamed McDonalds
for her own stupidiy. Understand they have intelligent judges in the UK

as
someone tried it there, too. The judge said something to the effect of
"Lady, you are stupid and that is not McDonald's fault. Now get out of my
courtroom and never come back unless you want to spend time in jail!"

maybe you should know the facts before you speak. McDonalds lost the case
because they serve their coffee near boiling. (180F)

j j December 14th 03 06:34 AM

"j j" wrote in message

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

What kind of stupidity in design will we have to put up with if this act

of
stupidity is blamed on the drill insted of the ignorant operator? It is
kind of like the idiot who got burned with hot coffee and blamed

McDonalds
for her own stupidiy. Understand they have intelligent judges in the UK

as
someone tried it there, too. The judge said something to the effect of
"Lady, you are stupid and that is not McDonald's fault. Now get out of

my
courtroom and never come back unless you want to spend time in jail!"

maybe you should know the facts before you speak. McDonalds lost the case
because they serve their coffee near boiling. (180F)

I hit the send button too soon.
They served the coffee extremely hot and many other people had been burnt
before and McDonalds refused to change anything. They lost because of their
attitude

http://www.vanfirm.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm

HA HA Budys Here December 14th 03 12:50 PM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

From: "j j"
Date: 12/14/2003 1:27 AM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

Yes, the lost the case, but the original award was drastically lowered upon
appeal. Still, McDonalds was partially at fault because-

Yes coffee is supposed to be hot - but not so hot that it scalds. They were
making millions more in coffee sales because they discovered that, by making
coffee scalding, they could (and did):

-use lower grade coffee. (more profit per cup)
-use less grounds.(more profit per cup)
-sold more (hotter it is, more the odor permeates the store)
-gave fewer free refills (who has time, in a FF rest, to get a second cup when
it takes 10 mins to cool to drinkable temp?)

As far as hair caught in drill, well... that can happen in ANY drill. They all
turn.

This is why even a simple extention cord now has 11 warning labels on it,
labels like THIS IS NOT A TOY. FOR TEMPORARY USE ONLY. MAY CONTAIN LEAD.

David Babcock December 14th 03 02:13 PM

edfan wrote:
[...]

That sounds like something a lawyer would say.
Is there a law permitting any manufacturer from selling something that can
hurt you.
Think about this scenario:
I put a box of stuff down on the floor, went to retrieve another and on the
return trip I tripped over the first box, tearing ligaments in my knee.
Who should I sue? The box manufacturer, for not making it in day-glo orange.
How about the people who made all the stuff inside the box, without that it
would have moved when I tripped over it. Or maybe whoever decided and
created my knee the way it is, seems like a faulty design.
Have you seen the commercial on TV, about the baby cribs.........
"Thousands had to be recalled because of a potential suffocating hazard,
total number infant deaths.........zero. (a great number!!!!!)
Second hand smoke kills over 2000 infants a year, through respiratory Asthma
illnesses and attacks. Total cigarettes recalled..............zero."
Lawyers.............grrrr! And my brother is one!!

Dave

Sycamouse December 14th 03 09:30 PM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

Good on that British Judge.
Wish we had some like that in America.

Sue December 15th 03 01:31 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

IDIOTS RAISING IDIOTS

PERIOD

NO LICENSE REQUIRED!!

Mike Dobony December 15th 03 01:47 AM

Mike Dobony December 15th 03 01:48 AM

From: "j j"
Date: 12/14/2003 1:27 AM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

And hair dryers have warnings not to use while sleeping and peanut
containers have warnings that the peanuts contain peanuts and . . .

Toller December 15th 03 02:06 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

Yes coffee is supposed to be hot - but not so hot that it scalds. They

were
making millions more in coffee sales because they discovered that, by

making
coffee scalding, they could (and did):

-use lower grade coffee. (more profit per cup)
-use less grounds.(more profit per cup)
-sold more (hotter it is, more the odor permeates the store)
-gave fewer free refills (who has time, in a FF rest, to get a second cup

when
it takes 10 mins to cool to drinkable temp?)

That is pure nonsense. They served it really hot because that is what their
customers wanted. Otherwise they could just brew it hot and let it cool
down a bit before serving.

Tony Hwang December 15th 03 03:40 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

Hi,
I took OP as a big joke.
Tony

Sue wrote:
IDIOTS RAISING IDIOTS

PERIOD

NO LICENSE REQUIRED!!

edfan wrote:

Hello, what sort of rotating tool is hairproof? And why should such an
elementary safety procedure as, "Tie up long hair," NOT be expected of
an adult who operates power tools?

There's nothing to sue over, the whosits caused her own injury.
Foolish attempts to blame others for stupid moves by the operator
causes a whole lotta problems for every tool users, not just stupid
ones.

e.com...

Dan Hartung December 15th 03 07:41 AM

Robert J Rolleston wrote:
I think if she had her hair waving around the drill then it's her own
stupidity. OSHA actually requires that workers with long hair have to
have in so it don't wave around and get cought in anything. I wonder why?

You do realize you just replied to a thread from July?

alt-hvac Moderated December 15th 03 11:36 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

What a cheapass. If she'd called a locksmith in the first place, she mighta
found one who's got the special tool for removing one way screws. I've got
one in my tool box, and used it many times when rekeying Kwikky deadbolts
with the one way screws. Another "Do it to yourself"er.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

Doug Miller December 15th 03 01:17 PM

In article , "Toller" wrote:

That is pure nonsense. They served it really hot because that is what their
customers wanted. Otherwise they could just brew it hot and let it cool
down a bit before serving.

Sorry, but that is not correct. That specific McDonald's franchise had
already received numerous complaints that their coffee was too hot. IOW, it
was *not* what their customers wanted.

Jim Yanik December 16th 03 02:01 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

(Doug Miller) wrote in
gy.com:

In article , "Toller"
wrote:

That is pure nonsense. They served it really hot because that is what
their customers wanted. Otherwise they could just brew it hot and let
it cool down a bit before serving.

Sorry, but that is not correct. That specific McDonald's franchise had
already received numerous complaints that their coffee was too hot.
IOW, it was *not* what their customers wanted.

"Numerous complaints" being how many complaints out of how many customers?

Most brewed coffee is too hot and has to cool before one can drink it
anyways.It's made with near-boiling water! (actually boiling if perked)
You certainly shouldn't stick it BETWEEN YOUR LEGS in an automobile(or
anywhere else).No matter HOW hot it was,she ought to have had common
sense;thus,her fault.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

j j December 16th 03 04:51 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
(Doug Miller) wrote in
gy.com:

In article , "Toller"
wrote:

That is pure nonsense. They served it really hot because that is what
their customers wanted. Otherwise they could just brew it hot and let
it cool down a bit before serving.

Sorry, but that is not correct. That specific McDonald's franchise had
already received numerous complaints that their coffee was too hot.
IOW, it was *not* what their customers wanted.

"Numerous complaints" being how many complaints out of how many customers?

about 700 customers complained to McDonalds that they got burned by the
coffe, McDonalds didn't care.

m Ransley December 16th 03 05:47 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

this is a REPOST , and omly a troll

Dan Hartung December 16th 03 11:28 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

Jim Yanik wrote:
[mcdonald's coffee yadda yadda]

Who the **** cares? The judgement was remanded on appeal and McDonald's
and the family SETTLED OUT OF ****ING COURT. End of legal system
involvement.

Lawrence Wasserman December 16th 03 06:34 PM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

In article , j j wrote:
...snipped...

"Numerous complaints" being how many complaints out of how many customers?

about 700 customers complained to McDonalds that they got burned by the
coffe, McDonalds didn't care.

700 out of billions served? Just proves that even most stupid people
are not THAT stupid.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

j j December 16th 03 11:35 PM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message
In article , j j

wrote:
...snipped...

"Numerous complaints" being how many complaints out of how many

customers?

about 700 customers complained to McDonalds that they got burned by the
coffe, McDonalds didn't care.

700 out of billions served? Just proves that even most stupid people
are not THAT stupid.

very few people have accidents compared to the number of people that drive
every day but we still try to reduce the chance of someone getting hurt.

Terry December 17th 03 12:29 AM

j j wrote:

[...]

Yup and I make tea with 'boiling' water (212 F).
I also heard about the UK judge; who said, in effect, "Don't be
stupid coffee is supposed to be hot."
One version of the story about the American who successfully sued
MacDonalds was that she put the hot cup of coffee between her
knees while in a motor vehicle!
If so not very smart!
Ever heard of the Darwin awards? Terry.

Jim Yanik December 17th 03 12:35 AM

Violent Electric Drill Accident

"j j" wrote in
:

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message
In article , j j

wrote:
...snipped...

"Numerous complaints" being how many complaints out of how many

customers?

about 700 customers complained to McDonalds that they got burned by
the coffe, McDonalds didn't care.

700 out of billions served? Just proves that even most stupid people
are not THAT stupid.

very few people have accidents compared to the number of people that
drive every day but we still try to reduce the chance of someone
getting hurt.

Bringing forth the "Nanny" state.

If people were expected to accept responsibility for their mistakes(as in
the past),they might learn after the first few errors,but since we now
blame others,they don't learn(nor think).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net