DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Programmable thermostat question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/47198-re-programmable-thermostat-question.html)

Greg O July 15th 03 05:32 AM

Programmable thermostat question

"Norm Dion" wrote in message
news:jYKQa.63748$Ph3.6856@sccrnsc04...
I'm in the process of upgrading from a 40-year old single-stage gas

furnace
to a 2-stage model (80% efficiency).
I currently use a Hunter brand programmable thermostat on the existing
furnace.
One of the contractors placing a bid for the new 2-stage Amer Stnd/Trane
tells me that I'll need to replace the thermostat with one that is
compatible with a 2-stage system. Is he right, or simply blowing smoke up

my
butt?
TIA

To get full advantage of your two stage furnace, buy a two stage 'stat. Some
two stage furnaces will run with a single stage 'stat, but it will run more
efficiently with a proper two stage 'stat.
Greg

CLSSM00X7 July 15th 03 06:00 AM

Programmable thermostat question

Hi,

No, he is right. A two stage unit needs a different t stat to work with the
Trane logic board correctly.

candice

Michael Baugh July 15th 03 07:34 AM

Programmable thermostat question

Besides the contractor being correct, the Hunter unit is ready
to be replaced with a more sophisticated unit anyway.

--
Norm Dion

Karen July 15th 03 04:44 PM

Programmable thermostat question

"Norm Dion" wrote in message news:jYKQa.63748$Ph3.6856@sccrnsc04...
I'm in the process of upgrading from a 40-year old single-stage gas furnace
to a 2-stage model (80% efficiency).
I currently use a Hunter brand programmable thermostat on the existing
furnace.
One of the contractors placing a bid for the new 2-stage Amer Stnd/Trane
tells me that I'll need to replace the thermostat with one that is
compatible with a 2-stage system. Is he right, or simply blowing smoke up my
butt?
TIA

Why not to replace? A thermostat is cheap, $20 can get you one. The
saving would recover the cost in month.

HvacTech2 July 15th 03 04:52 PM

Programmable thermostat question

Hi Karen, hope you are having a nice day

On 14-Jul-03 At About 20:44:55, Karen wrote to All
Subject: Programmable thermostat question

K From: (Karen)

K Why not to replace? A thermostat is cheap, $20 can get you one. The
K saving would recover the cost in month.

WOW!! where are you getting those at that price? they must be junk.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?" - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Greg O July 16th 03 01:28 AM

Programmable thermostat question

"Karen" wrote in message
om...

Why not to replace? A thermostat is cheap, $20 can get you one. The
saving would recover the cost in month.

Damn! A $20, two stage 'stat! I can not believe I have been paying $100 or
more!
Greg