Default what is average price metal standing rooding

I have a a roofe that needs replacing. I will do this my self and
have done regular fiberlgass before. Due to my age (54) I would
rather install metal roofing so as to not need any more while alive.
How much more would metal roofing (good quzlity) cost applyed to bare
roof than fiber glass shingles?
Larry Caldwell

) writes:

I have a a roofe that needs replacing. I will do this my self and
have done regular fiberlgass before. Due to my age (54) I would
rather install metal roofing so as to not need any more while alive.
How much more would metal roofing (good quzlity) cost applyed to bare
roof than fiber glass shingles?

Congrats on deciding to do it yourself. I have done lock seam roofing,
and if you have a simple roof line, it is literally a snap! Start
looking for a roofing supplier. If you are in Oregon I would send you to
Bruce and Dana in Salem. They were some of the early lock seam rollers,
and actually hold a patent for their style of joint.

AFAIK, there is no national supplier, you just have to deal with local
rolling mills. Some of them will only sell to contractors, some will
give contractors a substantial discount, others will sell to anybody with
cash in their hand. Shop around. Anybody who sells lock seam roofing
will have drawings and directions for roof penetrations, flashing, ridge
vents, etc.

If you are putting steel lock seam over plywood, the thin stuff (29
gauge) will work fine. The coatings are what give it its longevity. If
you live in hail country, you will eventually get an interesting hammered
finish on the roof. If you go with copper, the cost will be higher and
you will have to use a heavier gauge, but there is a certain cachet about
having an eternal roof.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Joe Bobst

How much more would metal roofing (good quzlity) cost applyed to bare roof
than fiber glass shingles?

There is a good discussion of this in the current (August) Consumer Reports.
For a DIY project there will be many caveats so do your research to be sure of
the results. Quality of the sheet with respect to gauge, coating materials will
be a prime factor. Treatment of cut edges, cutting tools are all
considerations. Besides standing seam there are architectural stampings in
steel and aluminum. The field right now is fascinating, so have fun looking it
over and post your results for the project. Good luck.

Joe

Thank you for your help. I am doing research now and will not do the
project till the fall dry (nuch cooler in Atlanta) seasion.
Louis

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Sheet Metal project price question. lane Metalworking 7 January 4th 04 08:56 PM
Comments on Steel Buildings for Workshop Pops Woodworking 12 November 6th 03 03:35 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM