Jon Endres, PE

Default KitchenAid parent company/other brands

I have a Kitchenaid dishwasher, about two years old, that has done nothing
but give me trouble. It leaves fine particles of food clinging to the
glassware, regardless of the detergent used. It finally died today, my son
wondered why it didn't wash last night's load of dishes and we found out
that there was no water getting to it. Also, the upper rack supports broke,
as well as the handle on the upper rack. This is only from normal, once a
day use.

The local appliance store that I bought it from has one service guy, and he
doesn't know what he's doing half the time, it seems. They seem to expect
my calls.

So, before I replace it, I want to know what other brands the parent company
of Kitchenaid owns so I can avoid those too. I would also like
recomendations for a new model that will simply be ultra-reliable and clean
the dishes. Many fancy features are totally unnecessary. We have ours set
on heavy load and pre-wash all the time, except for an occasional quick
rinse.

I have heard good things about Bosch, Miele, Fisher and Paykel. Does anyone
have a negative about any of them? Also, how are Maytag products? Cost is
not much of a concern; we are building a new house but I hate to leave the
buyer of our current house with such a piece of ****.

Jon E

gini52

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message
et...

[...]

===
I have a top of the line Bosch--about 9 months, now--No complaints. Avoid
Maytag. Kenmore
has reliable, good performing dishwashers overall. I would have replaced
my old Kenmore with another if they were better sound insulated. Check out
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/
for lots of talk about dishwashers.
===
===

John W. Wells

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:28:35 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
wrote:

I have a Kitchenaid dishwasher, about two years old, that has done nothing
but give me trouble. It leaves fine particles of food clinging to the
glassware, regardless of the detergent used.

My daughter-in-law's brand new KitchenAid does the very same thing,
plus it seemed to her to be far too noisy. After three services calls
("wrong detergent," my ass!) the last guy really listened to her
complaints.

He found that a tube at the back of the washing chamber was
disconnected or something (I'm getting this 3rd hand from my wife!) ,
and in fact, was the wrong one for this machine! As a result, water
meant for the shower head at the top was diverted to elsewhere
(causing the noise) and food particles were left on the dishes.

Correct part is on order.

--John W. Wells
Art Todesco

KitchenAid dishwashers used to be the top of the top, IMO. Our 1st KA
lasted 17 years. The 2nd KA barely made it past the 5 year motor
warrantee (I think about 7 years). Not only did the seals need
replacing, the racks were in terrible shape. It would have cost me more
for parts (me doing the labor) than a new one. I complained to KA, now
owned by Whirlpool, and they bribed me ($100) to buy another one. This
one is just ok. I definitely would not buy another KitchenAid.

gini52 wrote:
[...]

D. Gerasimatos

wrote:

I have heard good things about Bosch, Miele, Fisher and Paykel. Does anyone
have a negative about any of them?

Junk what you have and go to sears and get a bosch, probably the best
machine out there

Add Asko to the list as well.

Dimitri

MaryL

[...]

Have you contacted the manufacturer? It seems that there should still be
some warranty left on this machine if it is only 2 years old -- and if you
have proof that you have file numerous problems with the store where you
bought it, there might be some "lemon" coverage (that is, you might be able
to convince them to replace it or give a big discount).

MaryL

Carpenter Ant

wrote:

I have heard good things about Bosch, Miele, Fisher and Paykel. Does

anyone
have a negative about any of them?

Junk what you have and go to sears and get a bosch, probably the best
machine out there

Bosch............probably NOT the best out there.

Miele and Asko are better.
Bosch is 3rd......Asko 2nd......Miele #1.
quietest machine of them all.

C.A.

jeff

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message . net...

Hi,

So, before I replace it, I want to know what other brands the parent company
of Kitchenaid owns so I can avoid those too.

Whirlpool is the owner of KA...
http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml
Who makes what.

I have heard good things about Bosch, Miele, Fisher and Paykel. Does anyone
have a negative about any of them?

Repair parts are tough to get many times, service in many area's is
non-existant, parts are often over priced.

Also, how are Maytag products?

Quiet and has good ability to wash well!! Too bad most of thier line
is full of electronics!

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
L. M. Rappaport

wrote (with possible editing):

[...]

I have a top of the line Kitchen Aid, about 3 years old. I've just
had quite a bit of trouble, and while it is mostly working, it still
leaves a lot to be desired. When I called the company, they refused
to talk to me, saying I needed to contact my dealer. The dealer is a
nice enough guy and trying real hard, but he doesn't know what's wrong
either. Kitchen Aid should be able to tell, since the timer always
has the same approximate time on the display when it screws up (42 -
49 minutes - I forget exactly, but somewhere in that range), but they
don't seem to want to bother.

Kitchen Aid was previously owned by Hobart, now Whirlpool, so I'm
avoiding Whirlpool as well. I asked a friend who's an architect and
he recommended Bosch and, I think, Amana. I've heard good things
about Miehl, but I can't find a dealer anywhere in this area, which
means there would probably be no service.

When I asked the same question here earlier, one or two folks
mentioned that Bosch was either hard to service or hard to obtain
parts.

--
Larry

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:36:27 -0400, "Carpenter Ant"
wrote:

Bosch............probably NOT the best out there.

Miele and Asko are better.
Bosch is 3rd......Asko 2nd......Miele #1.
quietest machine of them all.

where are they manufactured for sale in the US? In the US like Bosch?

Bert Hyman

In et "Jon Endres, PE"
wrote:

So, before I replace it, I want to know what other brands the parent
company of Kitchenaid owns so I can avoid those too.

Kitchenaid is now owned by Whirlpool.

http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
gini52

Default Miele is the best

wrote:

Bosch............probably NOT the best out there.

Miele and Asko are better.
Bosch is 3rd......Asko 2nd......Miele #1.
quietest machine of them all.

where are they manufactured for sale in the US? In the US like Bosch?

Miele, Inc.
9 Independence Way
Princeton, NJ 08540

http://www.mieleusa.com/

face it .........the Germans make the BEST mechanical parts anywhere.
autos,appliances,hardware.....the list goes on and on.

If its mechanical .............buy German made.

===
Wanna buy my Audi ;-)
===
===
and no I am not German.

C.A.

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:55:50 -0400, "Carpenter Ant"
wrote:

Miele, Inc.
9 Independence Way
Princeton, NJ 08540

http://www.mieleusa.com/

face it .........the Germans make the BEST mechanical parts anywhere.
autos,appliances,hardware.....the list goes on and on.

If its mechanical .............buy German made.
and no I am not German.

Check out http://www.miele.com/pressroom/news1.html and see what is
located at the Princeton location - _a design center and show room_

Perhaps the equipment being shown there is manufactured at their
facility in Mexico? I guess not because that is another showroom and
design center http://www.miele.com/pressroom/news1.html.
L. M. Rappaport

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:41:56 -0400, "Dan O."

L. M. Rappaport wrote in message ...

I have a top of the line Kitchen Aid, about 3 years old. I've just
had quite a bit of trouble, and while it is mostly working, it still
leaves a lot to be desired. When I called the company, they
refused to talk to me, saying I needed to contact my dealer.
The dealer is a nice enough guy and trying real hard, but he
doesn't know what's wrong either.

You shouldn't have to contact the selling dealer, any KitchenAid authorized
factory service depot should be able to perform service on it, even under
warranty. If you're not happy with the dealer (or they can't determine the
problem) call a different KitchenAid repair depot. You can locate local one
using the link below.

http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=232

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=K...Aid+dishwasher

=Ð~~~~~~

--
Larry

Carpenter Ant

"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:55:50 -0400, "Carpenter Ant"
wrote (with possible editing):

.. .
wrote:

Bosch............probably NOT the best out there.

Miele and Asko are better.
Bosch is 3rd......Asko 2nd......Miele #1.
quietest machine of them all.

where are they manufactured for sale in the US? In the US like Bosch?

Miele, Inc.
9 Independence Way
Princeton, NJ 08540

http://www.mieleusa.com/

face it .........the Germans make the BEST mechanical parts anywhere.
autos,appliances,hardware.....the list goes on and on.

If its mechanical .............buy German made.
and no I am not German.

I did a quick search and couldn't find any dealers. Do they sell
direct? Nearest "showroom" to me is in Wellesley, MA, about a 5 hour
drive...

--
Larry

They do NOT sell direct
find a local miele dealer near you.

C.A.

Dan O.

L. M. Rappaport wrote in message ...

I have a top of the line Kitchen Aid, about 3 years old.
I've just had quite a bit of trouble, and while it is mostly
working, it still leaves a lot to be desired. When I
called the company, they refused to talk to me, saying
I needed to contact my dealer. The dealer is a nice
enough guy and trying real hard, but he doesn't know
what's wrong either.

You shouldn't have to contact the selling dealer, any
KitchenAid authorized factory service depot should be
able to perform service on it, even under warranty. If
you're not happy with the dealer (or they can't determine
the problem) call a different KitchenAid repair depot.
You can locate local one using the link below.

http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=232

L. M. Rappaport wrote in message ...

That gave me the two local dealers. I used the first one
(very nice guy, but he's at a loss) and the second wasn't
available.

Ever or just immediately?

I guess my gripe is that Kitchen Aid should have been
willing to talk to me and help me find the solution.

I don't know too many companies in this industry that will do that, that's
what they pay their service agents for. I'm sure you can see the potential
for considerable staffing needs in potentially dealing with millions of end
users rather than just their thousands of authorized service depots across
the country?

FWLIW, I'm an engineer and not stupid - this isn't rocket science.
Since we know the time on the clock when the problem is occurring,
I'd expect a Kitchen Aid engineer would at least know what's going
on at that point in time...

Than check the timing chart on the wiring diagram locating in the dishwasher
and see for yourself. On electronic models thay usually have a service 'tech
sheet' behind the access panel and/or in the area below the tub. If not
there it may be rolled up inside the console panel or on older models pasted
to the inside of the outer door panel.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=K...Aid+dishwasher

=Ð~~~~~~

Dan O.

Bosch............probably NOT the best out there.

Miele and Asko are better.
Bosch is 3rd......Asko 2nd......Miele #1.
quietest machine of them all.

where are they manufactured for sale in the US?
In the US like Bosch?

Miele, Inc.
9 Independence Way
Princeton, NJ 08540

http://www.mieleusa.com/

face it .........the Germans make the BEST mechanical parts anywhere.
autos,appliances,hardware.....the list goes on and on.

If its mechanical .............buy German made.
and no I am not German.

I did a quick search and couldn't find any dealers. Do they sell
direct? Nearest "showroom" to me is in Wellesley, MA, about a 5 hour
drive...

They do NOT sell direct
find a local miele dealer near you.

You can see some of their models at the following link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?...ele+dishwasher

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dishwashers

=Ð~~~~~~

Michael S. Trachtenberg

wrote in message

face it .........the Germans make the BEST mechanical parts anywhere.
autos,appliances,hardware.....the list goes on and on.

If its mechanical .............buy German made.
and no I am not German.

Don't confuse most expensive with best. BTW, if you don't want the
other guy's Audi, I have a VW Passat you might be interested in.
L. M. Rappaport

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:47:01 -0400, "Dan O."
wrote (with possible editing):

....snip

FWLIW, I'm an engineer and not stupid - this isn't rocket science.
Since we know the time on the clock when the problem is occurring,
I'd expect a Kitchen Aid engineer would at least know what's going
on at that point in time...

Than check the timing chart on the wiring diagram locating in the dishwasher
and see for yourself. On electronic models thay usually have a service 'tech
sheet' behind the access panel and/or in the area below the tub. If not
there it may be rolled up inside the console panel or on older models pasted
to the inside of the outer door panel.

Again, thanks, Dan, but I looked in both places and it wasn't there.
FWIW, I'd be willing to pay for one - model is KUDS01DJWH0 and serial
number is FK3902687. Fax number here is (603) 237-8430.

Unit is on a 15 amp GFI circuit by itself and wired with Romex 12/2
w/ground. Breaker never trips. When the problem first started, it
would blow fuses. It appeared to be caused by excessive heat as two
parts of the plastic handle were melting. The service guy replaced
one and I replaced the other. Then Kitchen Aid sent a kit consisting
of a new fuse, fuse holder and longer wires. Fuse was same value, but
higher heat rating. Now the fuse no longer blows, but the dishwasher
still takes several hours (3 - 4) to complete the cycle as opposed to
the 2 that it used to take.

--
Larry

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=K...Aid+dishwasher

=Ð~~~~~~

L. M. Rappaport

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:59:42 -0400, "Dan O."
wrote (with possible editing):

....snip

You can see some of their models at the following link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?...ele+dishwasher

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dishwashers

=Ð~~~~~~

Again, thanks, Dan.

Your site links to someplace in Chicago. Where are you located -
anywhere near New England? If I end up buying one, I'd like to
consider your place if you sell them.

Email if you like - address below is good.

--
Larry

Dan O.

"Dan O." wrote (with possible editing):

You can see some of their models at the following link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?...ele+dishwasher

Your site links to someplace in Chicago. Where are you located -
anywhere near New England? If I end up buying one, I'd like to
consider your place if you sell them.

Thanks, I appreciate it but I don't sell anything myself and I'm in Canada
so it would likely be even more expensive importing one from here with
duties and such.

There is another company that sells Miele dishwashers and offers $59 nation
wide delivery. See the following link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?us=mieldis.html

Happy shopping!

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dishwashers

=Ð~~~~~~

Renata

OTOH, my Mercedes is NOT for sale. I think they did a fabulous job on
the car in both fit and finish, design, and most (not all)
"ergonomic" and bells&whisltes type features. The only issue is the
ventilation system - windows fog all the time and the vent blows warm
air in the beginning (must routed the intake by the engine (semi ;-)).
(Oh, and I can't fit anything wider than about 32" in the back unless
I tilt it...)
And this is the bottom of their line.

So, maybe buy the top of the line brand, though not necessarily the
top of the line within the top of the line. ?

Renata

wrote in message

face it .........the Germans make the BEST mechanical parts anywhere.
autos,appliances,hardware.....the list goes on and on.

If its mechanical .............buy German made.
and no I am not German.

Don't confuse most expensive with best. BTW, if you don't want the
other guy's Audi, I have a VW Passat you might be interested in.

Renata

Aack! Indeed, just today read that Mercedes finished 26th in long
term dependability. Used to be #1.
I don't think the extended warranty on my model was anywhere close to
3G but I wasn't paying much attention as I usually don't bother with
those (having owned mostly Toyotas that were trouble free). Now ya
got me thinking I should seriously consider buying an extended
warranty.

I was generally commenting on the overall ft and finish, and
"ergonomic" details which are nice. However, I haven't owned the
quite a year so longer term problems haven't had a chance to raise
their ugly heads.

BTW, Toyota's Lexus was #1in vehciel dependability. There's another
article and ranking chart at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...ml?nav=hptoc_b

Yeah, but VW beat out Land Rover.

Thanks for the info.

Renata

On 8 Jul 2003 18:54:30 -0700, (Michael S.
Trachtenberg) wrote:

Hello, Renata.

I recently looked into buying a 2000 E430 to replace the VW and
realized it might be another German headache. Read owner comments on
Edmunds and newsgroups and found they have a lot of electrical
problems. You may or may not encounter this with your model as it
ages. The extended warranty quotes from the usual sites were a little
under US$3000.

NY Times had an article today on auto durability
(
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/08/bu...8CND-AUTO.html).
Mercedes finished below Chrysler, never mind the Japanese brands. I
also note that VW ranks among the worst in the industry, joining such
superluminaries as Kia.

Goose

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:43:43 GMT, L. M. Rappaport wrote:

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:12:26 -0400, "Carpenter Ant"
wrote (with possible editing):

...snip

[Miele]

I did a quick search and couldn't find any dealers. Do they sell
direct? Nearest "showroom" to me is in Wellesley, MA, about a 5 hour
drive...

--
Larry

They do NOT sell direct
find a local miele dealer near you.

C.A.

Well, there are no local dealers - but there's one in Barre, VT which
is a mere 3 hour drive... Funny, when I visited the Miele website, I
couldn't find a dealer locator, but when I Googled "Miele dealers", I
found it, and it was part of their site.

Thanks.

Where in New England are you?

In NH, Barons sells Miele.
http://www.baronsmajorbrands.com

L. M. Rappaport

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:40:13 -0400, Goose
[...]

I'm in Colebrook, NH which is on the border with Vermont about 10
miles south of Canada. I haven't heard of Barons, but I'll take a
look - thanks!

--
Larry